The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #1
vintovka

Easier access on lifted AD's

Was getting into mine and got a comment on how its set up so here it is. Sorry if a repeat but recently saw an older fellow fall and injure his leg climbing into his lifted 53.

Mine is a 54 on a 84 GMC with a 4" factory lift. Factory running boards are 18" of the deck. Easy for 18 olds - not so much for us pushing 80. I added AMP power boards suspended under the factory boards and they work well. Spec'd for a cj-5 jeep they fit with just shortening the boards. Even then it was not enough and age and balance were issues. I added grab handles both outside and in as shown. Kinda a jungle jim set up. The outside one Allows me to easily pull myself up on the AMP boards and then step up to the factory ones. The inside one allows me to comfortably swing into the cab without pulling on the steering wheel. Yanking on the wheel is not good for original GM tilts and can damage them fast.

Getting out is easy and safe. Grabbing the outside with the left hand lets me step down both boards onto the ground without losing my balance. The outer grab is also the anchor for the 3 points,

Both handles seem unobtrusive as shown and not sure i could get in and out without them. Do remind my of my flying days climbing in an out of aircraft cockpits. Hope idea helps others.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Easier access on lifted AD's

We carry one of these in the OT truck for my wife use to get up in the truck. After she was in the hospital a few months ago I built a second step out of wood so she could use it to get up on the stool.

I was at Walmart in Yakima one night and a lady in a 4x4 close to my rig opened the door and pulled out her stool that had a length of cord tied to it, set it on the ground, got in the truck and pulled the stool in after herself and folded it up. A not spendy, not crazy idea.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 AM   #3
vintovka

Seen the stool and rope trick before. It works and fun to watch. Because mine is a real daily driver I really needed something automatic and for compensating my worsening balance issues. Someone could possibly save big bucks by recycling power steps off a wrecked car or truck. Steps also help getting into bed to grab stuff or when washing roof. The exterior grab handles came in handy recently when friends wanted to ride the boards in a slow parade.
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #4
mr48chev

This isn't inexpensive but might work with the rails you have under the cab. https://www.amazon.com/Homeon-Wheels...0C1YDWHL5&th=1

I think you might be on to something with hunting down a pair of power steps for a late model. Maybe a pair that are scuffed up a bit but can be cut down to size and still have some nice steps.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #5
vintovka

Might work well if mounted correctly and had a switch that deployed steps on door opening and closing. You a correct that the rails are key and grabbing them becomes instinctive after just a couple uses.