The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 07:50 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

old parts question

ok guys I am wondering what do most of us do with old parts that are still in descent working condition but not needed anymore? I know we try to sell them, but I have found that most don't want to pay anything & the time and effort to package and ship tends to make it a zero or neg. cost. a example is I have fuel tanks from a recent build, but nobody wants them... soo what do you do with them? my thought is that if someone is just getting an old truck to run and "tootle" (IE: kid's H.S. beater truck) in then used parts would be great. still work, but save cost on new. anyways just wondering what to do with "working" left over parts?

thoughts?
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: old parts question

First off, there is a definite market for "good, usable, original" parts as NOTHING fits like an original GM made part. I've restored a '57 Chevy 2 door, a '71 Chevelle and my '71 K10 4x4 and have sought out and used mostly true original parts for each. There are times that it is just not feasible or possible to find that one missing and needed part. Then one must resort to aftermarket items and hope it fits well enough to be used. Trying to sell used fuel tanks is a task as it is always an unknown if the tank is solid and clean enough to be used or worth the effort to make it useful. Shipping large parts in today's world is not your friend but it can be done.

It would be the best $25 you have ever spent on your truck to become a dues paying member to have the ability to offer your good usable parts on the appropriate parts forum. Also the ability to place a Want To Buy ad if your truck is lacking a needed item. There is a definite desire and want of factory original parts.

It takes time and effort to do but it can be done and is well worth while to do so.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:31 PM   #3
Shifty One

If you're a youngish lad, and have the space, it would be wise to clean/oil them, wrap it newspaper, box/ziploc it with a complete fitment note, and store it for days ahead.

Unless you need the bucks, that is...

1998 C2500 lot-rot rescue
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:31 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

Large things are going to be a pain to ship. Used fuel tanks even worse. If they smell of gas, probably going to get labeled as "Hazmat" and a large fee applied. Sometimes the best answer is sadly, toss in trash or take to scrap yard.

If the parts are small enough to fit in one of the US Postal "If it fits it ships" boxes, then shipping is a known cost up front.

Taking to a local swap meet/flea market might be an option. Doesn't have to be an auto meet. Lots of car parts get sold/bought at plain flea markets.

An old fashioned garage sale if you have other stuff to get rid of.

2nd the forum upgrade option if you have several things to sell off.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote