The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #1
70gmc1500

1953 GMC fuel pump not working

I have a 1953 GMC 9500 truck. This is a Canadian truck so it has a 235 Chevy engine in it. The old fuel pump was leaking so I replaced it. The new pump doesn't seem to work. There is fuel to the inlet of the pump but the pump doesn't seem to actually pump. I took the new pump back off and manually tested it and it works fine. I put it back on the truck and hooked up a small tank straight to the carb and ran the engine and the pump still isn't doing anything. I put my finger up to the outlet of the pump when the engine was running and there wasn't any pressure I could feel. My question is, is there somehow a way that I installed the pump wrong. The pump runs right off of the camshaft so I can't think of how it could be installed wrong? I felt the camshaft lobe too and I can't feel anything wrong on it either. The other thing is that the fuel pump has quite a bit of movement before it actually pumps, could it be that there is too much movement that the camshaft lobe doesn't push it far enough? Is there a way to possibly tighten up that movement so it pumps earlier in the stoke? Could it be something with the camshaft?
70gmc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1953 GMC fuel pump not working

Did you compare the arm on the pump to the arm on the old pump? there is a change between 57 and older 235 engines and 58 and later 235 engines fuel pump wise.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; Today at 12:00 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote