The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
alderan33

drive shaft woes

I need help with this one guys. It's a strange one. So I am restoring my 72 C10 and I have the bed off and have been working on the frame, front end, etc.. I have the motor out and decided to replace the u joints. No problems with them. I began reinstalling the rear section of the drive shaft (2 piece) and after securing the u joint to the rear end I attempted to bolt up the carrier bearing. And it is 1 1/2" too short to line up with the mount on the truck. I did nothing with the carrier bearing. I am stumped at why and how this could happen. The truck is a long bed. The only thing I can think of is the absence of all the extra weight from the bed makes it sit differently? I could really use some advice and I would be most appreciative of any help. Thanks!
alderan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2024, 11:05 PM   #2
PanhandleShantyman

Re: drive shaft woes

I had the same "WTH?" moment last month when I reinstalled the 2-piece drive shaft of my '69 after dropping it for the first time to replace the clutch. It was "short" at the back just as you describe, after I connected the front end of the drive shaft back to the tranny and bolted up the center support bearing bracket. But, I realized the rear section of the drive shaft can slide in and out from the back end of the center support bearing, and that had to be where I needed to make the appropriate adjustment. I guess the process of backing the drive shaft out of the differential had made it slide in at that connection point. So I just whacked the drive shaft backwards right behind the center support bearing a few times with my trusty BFH to slide it backwards until the U joint slid back enough, and hooked it back up, no further issue.
PanhandleShantyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2024, 11:17 AM   #3
alderan33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleShantyman View Post
I had the same "WTH?" moment last month when I reinstalled the 2-piece drive shaft of my '69 after dropping it for the first time to replace the clutch. It was "short" at the back just as you describe, after I connected the front end of the drive shaft back to the tranny and bolted up the center support bearing bracket. But, I realized the rear section of the drive shaft can slide in and out from the back end of the center support bearing, and that had to be where I needed to make the appropriate adjustment. I guess the process of backing the drive shaft out of the differential had made it slide in at that connection point. So I just whacked the drive shaft backwards right behind the center support bearing a few times with my trusty BFH to slide it backwards until the U joint slid back enough, and hooked it back up, no further issue.
Much appreciated. I will give this a try. I actually had installed the rear of the drive shaft first. I will reverse the procedure and find a BFH to remedy the problem. Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2024, 08:07 PM   #4
Rust_never_sleeps

Did you try flipping it the other way? ;-)
Old 10-15-2024, 08:06 AM   #5
alderan33

Yeah I still can't figure this out. I have beat on this driveshaft but it's not budging. Any other ideas?
Old 10-15-2024, 01:58 PM   #6
Willshook

If the mount for the carrier bearing is fore/aft, there's about 1" of adjustment slots there.
Willshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #7
3drburb

Try installing the carrier bearing with the driveshaft to the cross member first, then to the rear end.

Last edited by 3drburb; 10-15-2024 at 03:26 PM. Reason: adding
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2024, 03:30 PM   #8
sixty8HDC30

am I understanding that the splined slip joint is stuck in the compressed position? if thats the case then filling it with grease at the grease point should force it to extend.
sixty8HDC30 is offline   Reply With Quote