The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

It's that time again boys and girls. As the sun sets on another weekend, it's time to reflect on how busy you were. I was on call this weekend and ran quit a bit. I still managed to do a few "truck" related things between service calls.

This morning I went to Delmar (TX not Cali) swap meet. It was pretty big and I saw quit a few things I wanted. Too bad I didn't find anything they "really" wanted to sell. It amazes me at some of the "asking" prices some guys put on their stuff. If I can buy it new from Summit cheaper why should I bother to dicker over used parts.

I left there empty handed, then went to a small truck show at Traders Village. I parked about 1/4 mile away and didn't realize until I got there that I forgot my digi-cam in the truck.... Sorry to say, but I did not walk back for it.

I did find a good deal on a mini-chopper. I didn't buy it because I had too much stuff in the back of my truck. I'm going back next week if I get time....

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

went to a friend's funeral yesterday afternoon, her and her new husband have been together for about 2 years, and decided that it was time already.

went last night and checked out a new race track. my buddy and i are talking about buying a few parts cars for his '72 Firebird project, and we're talking about using one of the shells to build a Pure Stock race car. we are thinking of running it at www.thundervalleymotorsports.com (the real track, not the website ) track was top notch, and the attitude of everybody there was great. watched a crew from one team change 2 tires on someone else's car under caution laps, just so they could continue to compete. the really neat thing about it is the car they changed the tires on was battling their car for the lead.

today i slept in, when i did finally get up i decided to drag my "new" K10 frame up and start getting it ready for the body swap. my previous frame, as i started cleaning it up showed way more damage than i could see from under the grease, so i bought a new one. found one crack in the whole thing, a few slight bends, and some rusted out crossmembers. i'll still be able to use the crossmembers from my old frame, and i have a good friend at work who will probably weld it up for me real reasonable.

Last edited by 1FaastC10; 09-12-2004 at 08:09 PM.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

I ony got a couple "truck" related things done. I got my newly dyed dashpad installed and I brought my hood to my bodyman to be stripped, repaired, and painted. I should have my doors and entire front clip back in my possesion within the next three weeks, I will then be able to install those items and then drop off the bed for its body work and paint. It looks like final paint won't be until spring...but that gives me a few months to get some more $$ saved up for some of the final purchases I need to get Yeller running.

I also washed and waxed the Ranger, watched the Rock & Roll 400, did the Sunday chores, updated the website, and watched the Viking whoop up on the Cowgirls.

FInally, I got some more work done on my R/C replica of Yeller...it is almost ready for paint and reassembly. After that I need to get some chrome five spoke rims for it and it will then be finished. Aside from its 81+ front clip, it should look nearly identical to my real truck.

In case anybody is wondering, it is a 1:10 scale 2wd (rwd) Tamiya M-04L chassis with a heavily modified Tamiya Clod Buster body. The body has been shortened to a swb (from a lwb), the sunroof and blower was shaved...as were the locks, vent windows, and hood tilt lines. When finished, it will also have working headlights and brake lights.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-12-2004 at 08:41 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
SanitysBane

washed the truck and vacumed out the interior, been thinking and pondering about getting a new EQ and some other items.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Nvbowtie

Got my brushed aluminum bezels on.
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
7T7
Regular guy

got her ON THE GROUND!!!!
Whoopi!!!
OK maybe not the ground......but off the stands.
Attached Images

Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
chevychic

I finished my LED dash conversion

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=119375

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Finished the wiring (FINALLY) on the new shop. Spent Saturday and today with yard work and homework.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #9
gldevall

I haven't cranked my truck in over a week. It's got a knock coming from somewhere. I think the flywheel is loose, bent, cracked or something. Since we bought the Tahoe I have been driving the Yota. It's great too. Has A/C and gets 34 MPG. I filled it up a week and half ago and it still has 1/4 tank of gas. Whereas the truck would get filled up twice a week.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
TIMSPEED

Went up to Summit, and got my drop springs, and put them on. Also, gambled a bit in Reno, and won $40. (Went with $60, came home with $100)
Old 09-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
C-10volvo

threw some new speakers and amp into the daily driver. the old stuff was put into the boat
Attached Images

For everything else: 1997 BMW M3

Last edited by C-10volvo; 09-12-2004 at 10:14 PM.
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #12
Prerunner1982

had drill this weekend, only reproductive things i did was get a portable air compressor running that hasnt be run in 6 yrs.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #13
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

cleaned my windshield Friday night before i went cruising. Was gonna wash my truck but never got around to it. BUT BUT BUT i will wash it monday after school.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #14
Izzy
Trucker.

New pads and oil change in the 98 and waxed it so the wife could roll it to lowdown showdown which was a waste considering the size of the show. Oh well.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #15
mckpaul

Connected a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the motor and found I really do have sufficient oil pressure and that the stock gauge in the dash is wrong. Definitely a relief to know my rebuild is OK ( I know, I know it's justa stock 305 rebuild for a non-daily driver truck that's sole purpose in life is to be a truck to haul stuff in when needed, but it's still good to know all the effort of the rebuild isn't wasted)

Also, finally got around to bleeding the brakes and resetting the proportional valve to get the brake light on the dash to go off. One step closer to inspection. Just need to redo the exhaust and put the air pump on (and related hoses) and it should be ready.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #16
the baron

Went with my 1960 Girl Friend in my ( her's ? ) 1977 Impala to France , in the Champagne area , to meet some friends with their american cars , have had some pick-nick , little cruising in the area , drink some booze , listen to a little french rock group on stage , called "Natchez" , very good , they sing their own songs , but they also feature some good oldies ( Rolling Stones , CCR , ZZ Top , etc... )

we laughed a lot , talked about everything but cars...

did , as usual , nothing on my Burb , but we agreed , my beloved and I , that I would get from beginning october till january , three months to work on it and restart that beast...

I'm already in the starting blocks...

BTW , I found new OEM fenders for my Burb at 190€ , helluva deal , if you'd ask me
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
Grim Reaper

I was on vacation last week. The plan had been to work on the Airstream and catch up on a few things. Didn't do anythign to the camper at all. Last week the 75 got it's window (soft top) put in and nosed up to the Airstream and hitched to basicly become dead weight for Frances to come in on Tuesday. Need to prevent it from Weather Vaning in the high winds. We have Ivan coming this week so the 75 Is still sitting there with a Airstrem hitched to the front end.

Tag time and so it was also emissions time for a couple of the fleet. THe honda is the red headed stepchild of the fleet. Rode hard put up wet. It was time for some love. Few weeks back it got tires. Last week it got exhaust. Now we have to drive the ***** another 100k. Gave it a tune up and oil change (oil only had 5700miles on it).

It's been a bad oil leaker since we bought it. Well I thought it was the Oil pan gasket leak at the back of the block. Thats where it appears the most wet. Decided I was sick of the leak and it dripped on the exhaust so sort of a safety concern. $15 for a reusable gasket. Fire it up and watch before dropping the pan. I get under there and it has some funky drain tube in PCV system back to the oil pan right up at the mounting flange. It's 22mm Hose and the oil looks like its dripping right off it. Hard as a rock from age. Thought I had it easy and it was this hose. Well far be it for Autozone or any parts store to carry a oil rated hose in that diameter. Dealer wanted to "special order it" It actualy has a part number for 6 inches of 22mm hose and they want $20 for it. So off to Royal Brass and hose. Dude was cool and gave me a peice of stainless wire braid 400PSI Oil rated line.

So still leaks. Change the oil pan gasket and it take most of the day. Had to drop the ehaust pipe from header to cat, Remove engine crossmember. Wasn't real bad but still a pain in the butt. Still leaks

Stupid front drive cars. Cant see anything. I can get one arm in the area where this leak was. So basicly it take mirror to try to see what needs to be done then stick arm in there and work by Brail. So its damp where the oil filter bracket bolts to the block right above the oil pan I find after removing two intake plenum braces. The oil filter brakcket has a funky molded O-ring type of seal. Well baked after 15 years and 218,000 miles so it cracked. $5.40 from the dealer and 45 minutes to change. .....No leak. Easiest thing to fix but because I could see in there it was the last thing I suspected.

Do a tune up on it pull the plugs and they are text book prefect. absolutly no sign of oil burning. The plugs on the 88 Burb have never looked that good and it only has 84k on it and this stuipd honda we abuse to no end and has 218,000 miles on the odometer is perfect. As bad as the oil leak was it was still using only 1 quart every 1000 miles. It will probably use none between reasonable oil changes now.

So now there is one leaker left in the fleet. Its the 88 Burb with 84k. Looks like the intake is leaking at the back of the block. I thing it need them fancy wrinkle finsh Chevy logo Valve covers for $120 to fix it.

Did Drive the burb this past week. Had a bad idle at start up. Drove it and it cleared up. Wife has been short tripping it and I think it was fouling up the plugs. Did some longer runs on the hwy and now it's fine. I think I'm putting wife back in Honda and drive the 4runner. Park the burb except when we need to do family stuff. It's not happy as a short trippper.

Stupid Toyota still pissing me off but not as much. Head job was botched and the rockers were hitting the valve stems THis was cause the valves not to fully close. Course the no valve lash at the adjusters wasn't either. Well now they are adjusted and the valve stems seem to be clearencing the rocker arms and it's getting better. When I got it I couldn't get a decent idle out of it. Now it runs down the road pretty good but just gives a little occasional miss when holding steady speed Little thottle it goes away. Decell it goes away. Near as I can figure it's getting a little backfire into the intake and playing hell with the AFM. MPG has come up to 18 from 16. It should be at 20. If it contiues to improve I'll drive it till it blows and look at puttin a diesel in it. Toyota has a sweet 4cyl Turb diesel they put in trucks in other countries. Found a local place that gets Cuts/clips. Everything I would need to do the conversion including Diesel gages and fuel pickup, 5speed and diffs for $2700. 35mpg 4Runner would be a hoot and it's rated same HP and better Torque then the 22Re in it. It would pay for itself in 8 months as a DD for me over the burb.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #18
hilbilly
I do everything twice, so what

Location: To the Right. One may go as far to say WAY to the Right
Got more damage done Saturday than fix'n. Went to a pull in S.E. Iowa and ripped the front weightbracket/bumper off the front of the truck and twisted the frame enough to rip the driverside cab mounts off the frame. Lot's of work to do before next weekend. What's that they say..... Pay to Play?
hilbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
TwinTurbo

I went to a car show, throught I'd win a price in truck category but then some friends showed up in their pristine 63 and they took 1st place (damnit) LOL
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #20
oldraven

The only truck related thing I got done was getting the old girl up and running. I'm bringing the truck by the shop to borrow the cherry picker, so I can get that 350, propane, and other goodies back to the shop. The motor will get installed, along with the cylinders, this week, while I work nights on the body.

The box is getting punted right away, so the cab corners can get done. When they're done, primed and painted, I'll get the other truck towed over and have that box taken down. I'll paint the front of the box, and finish prepping everything.

I think the rad support and bumper will be switched over gradually, as the motor gets installed. I hope to have her up and running, and final paint done by the end of september.

btw, she fired right up after sitting since May. Just needed a bit of tranny fluid and she was right back to normal.

'87 TurboCoupe 2.3Turbo intercooled 5-spd
www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
oldraven is offline   Reply With Quote