The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Based on the comments, looks like you have two alternatives, depending on your definition of "straight" axle.

The 4WD "straight" axle is one.

The beam axle is the other.

In '69, GM (Chevy) had a G-20 series van that had a 3000lb capacity I-beam axle. In standard configuration, the front springs had a capacity of 1275lbs, each. The optional springs were 1375lbs capacity, each.

To each, his own.

Back in the mid-late 60's, the gasser look was one style we enjoyed. The beam axle was just like Ron Woodgeard described. The most vivid examples that I recall in my area were two: A '65 ChevyII 2-dr sedan and my ex-brother in law's '55 Bel Aire 2dr sedan. The 55 had been a decent driver, maroon and white, with a 421 Pontiac and 4-speed, when he bought it in '68. During the next few years, the engine was bored and fitted with a Mickey Thompson Dual Ram Log Offset intake and dual carbs; the front end was changed to a beam axle with NO BRAKES; the rear wheel tubs were hogged out to huge+; the front end, doors and trunk lid were swapped out for fiberglass components...and it had one of the then-popular "never ending line and other weird stuff" paint jobs. It was fast, but no good on the streets, even though he would drive it every now and then.

Just can't visualize a truck with those modifications, unless it's a Willys.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote