The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
XR650RKing

Question Crewcab 4x4 single wheel (non-dually)

Hey All I am new to this side b/c I have been hanging on the 69-72 blazer forum but I got an idea and since I don't have my interchangeable parts guide here I was hoping someone could help with my curiosity?

I used to have a long wheel base 76' 3/4 ton 4x4 and loved it...well now I'm married and instead of shelling out the dough for a new HD crew cab I would love to have a mid 80's crew cab 4x4 but don't need dually which is what I normally see.
Here is my thoughts...

A) question: how much different are the dually axels front and rear than the 14bolt rear and Dana front single wheel axels? (Can I just get a dually 4x4 and swap the rear-end and chop the fender flares?)

B) Get a 2wd dually and get an old 4x4 3/4 ton utility truck and rebuild and swap the front and rear drive train (is the 2wd dually frame same as 4x4, and is rear already on leaf springs...some 1/2 trucks 2wd have coils in rear vs leafs)

OR

C) what is your suggestion to get a long-wheelbase 3/4 crew cab in mid 80's model?

I don't need the dually for towing, but I want the 3/4 size for strength due to weight.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

JT
XR650RKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

the rear axles are narrower, so in order to get the proper SRW width, you'll need a SRW axle. crew cabs were available in 3/4 ton and 1 ton, and the spring perches are different for each. if you get a 3/4 ton crew cab, you'll need a 3/4 ton 14FF to put in the back without mods. i havent seen a 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab, so i dont know if 10 bolt/D44 axles are available or not. if the truck you get is a DRW 1 ton 4x4, you can just swap the bearing hubs to get the proper width for the front axle.

1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks use the same frame, 1 tons have bigger frames. you shouldnt have any "problems" converting a 2wd truck to 4x4, although it is much easier to start with a 4x4. all 73+ trucks are leaf sprung.

to get a crewcab (which were only available in LWB) look in places where nobody would think to look. i've found alot of derby carsjust driving aroudn town and looking at cars that dont appear to be moving, i'll watch them for a week or so, then approach the owner about possibly selling it. most of the time they're more than willing to sell for a reasonable price.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here's what you need to be looking for...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
andrew king

N2trux is that white Crew cab yours ?? Is it for sale ?? I have one already and am really looking for a 2 wheel drive but hey if the price is right???
andrew king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

No it's not mine. It's just a pic I found in the picture forum-Post your ride-Trucks only please!
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
KShortell

Yup, the suspension and rear axle will be different on a dually. However, lots of crew cabs were indeed 1-ton trucks with the single rear axle. Highway departments and municipalities used them a lot. I remember the grounds maintenance crew back in college used one.

They're out there, you'll just have to look for them. Most will be in base model trim, too.

Good luck!