The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2004, 04:33 AM   #26
wxman1

There is another wrinkle to this issue. Ok, so we should all keep our vehicles tuned and running
smoothly. However, simply because your engine runs smooth and you're not belching smoke
out of the tailpipes, that only roughly correlates with emission levels of hydrocarbons(HC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). If they really want us to keep levels of auto emissions in check, then
they (the auto parts industry) need to make low cost emissions checking equipment available.
Nearly all of the current test equipment for doing a tailpipe test still costs an arm and a leg.
I don't know about you guys, but I can't afford to pay several thousand dollars for test
equipment to measure levels of HC, CO and NOx. In the past 25 years, computer power has increased by several orders of magnitude, yet the auto parts industry still demands these
ridiculous prices for this kind of test equipment. Case in point, I just paid $150 for an OBD2
code reader from Orielly's. All this stupid thing does is read a code that the car's computer
spits out and display it on the screen. IMHO this device should cost no more than $50, MAX!
Of course, our trucks don't have codes or computers or such. So, we would have to rely on
tailpipe tests to determine if our tuning is helping or hurting levels of various pollutants.
So if the CA assemblywoman thinks we're being disengenious (thats just a fancy way of calling
us liars) then she and her silent supporters in the auto parts and auto service industry are
subject to the same criticism.

Jim
Mt Juliet

wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #27
68C30Flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w/sbc406
its actually 75 and newer. my friend has a 77 that needs to be DEQed
Yeah, I was wrong all around, except on the gun laws. Thanks for clarifying. I live in Newberg, but in Washington County, and so have to have my vehicles DEQ'ed. Most of Oregon, geographically speaking, you don't have to have emissions checked.
'00 Infiniti G20T
'02 Honda CBR1100XX (for sale)
68C30Flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #28
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Come to Texas. Gun friendly, heck you can even get a permit to carry a gun if you so desire. I thnik vehicles over 25 years old are exempt.

Hey, I have an idea, how about if the car makers just quit selling vehicles in California. Before you know it, no vehicles just bikes, no pollution, no problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:23 PM   #29
Jimmy72custom

You can get a carry permit in CA. The difficulty level varies from county to county. It ranges from reasonable to forget about it.
Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #30
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

The wife and I thought about getting out of california and moving to oregon or washington area, but the rain and lack of jobs have kept us at bay.