The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

The rear will depend on how low you want to get it. If you want the frame planted, I would recommend a four link. (I should have a 'bolt-on' four-link kit available for these trucks shortly... 'shortly' is open for interpretation!).[/QUOTE]

Will your kit plant the rear to match the front? My interpretation of short is six months, am I close? Also would you offer a "package deal" or a "builders" discount? Just making plans
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Will your kit plant the rear to match the front? My interpretation of short is six months, am I close? Also would you offer a "package deal" or a "builders" discount? Just making plans [/QUOTE]

The rear kit will be offered to plant the rear and match the front... your interpretation of 'short' is pretty close to mine!

As for 'package deals' or 'builder discounts'... How does everybody else do it???? Spend $20K and get 10% off!

There will definitely be a savings when buying the two kits together.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
(I should have a 'bolt-on' four-link kit available for these trucks shortly... 'shortly' is open for interpretation!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Will your kit plant the rear to match the front? My interpretation of short is six months, am I close? Also would you offer a "package deal" or a "builders" discount? Just making plans
Me too. How loosely are we interpreting 'bolt-on'? Expected price range?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Me too. How loosely are we interpreting 'bolt-on'? Expected price range?
I can weld
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
smbrouss70

Nathan, congrats on the Dropmember write-up in this months Classic Trucks mag.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
PBFAB.COM

Few more things to add... hopefully they can answer some of the more recent questions.

As for the straight 6 and the Dropmember... I do not know what clearance issues would result with this combo. Maybe one of these days I will mock one up (if enough interest is generated by potential customers) and see... rather than pulling them out and letting the scrap guy take em!

Good news for the Big Block guys... just received some feedback from Valley Custom... he's installing a Big Block and DropmemberC4 in a 67-72. It has a TH400 for the trans, and he said there were no clearance issues besides the trans tunnel that we are all aware of. I will be doing a big block mock up eventually, and will be providing motor mounts for this application.

As for the rear suspension kit to compliment the Dropmember... the four link front brackets will bolt-on the framerails, the four-link axle mounts will weld-on to the tubes, and the panhard bar mounts will weld to the axle and bolt-on at the chassis. There will be two versions... one for a mild c-notch (I will be using Air Ride Technologies' notch), and one to lay frame with a 29" tall tire. The latter will require welding skills to complete. It will be a semi-back-half that bolts in and can also be welded into place. Again, a good few to six months away from being available. I currently have no idea on pricing... any ideas??? ... yeah right!

The 327 will work perfectly with the Dropmember... as will all other displacements of the small block chevy.

Shane... student loans are to be used for SCHOOL! Then again, that's how I financed my first air suspension!

Tony- Looks like your member will be getting to you a bit sooner than expected. I should have it out to you the first of next week.

Steven- Thanks for the congrats... I still haven't received my issue???? I have had numerous calls from people who have purchased it 'off the shelf' and I haven't even gotten mine... I thought a subscription meant you got it before it hit the shelves???... guess not!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 01-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Shane... student loans are to be used for SCHOOL!
How's he supposed to get to class without a suspension on his vehicle? PB, would you deny this man his right to access our educational system? For shane... er... shame.

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
dan468

Porter Built, when do you think you will have a Big Block mock up? That's all I'm waiting on until I purchase your dropmember
dan468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan468 View Post
Porter Built, when do you think you will have a Big Block mock up? That's all I'm waiting on until I purchase your dropmember
In that case... tomorrow! Actually, I am hoping to get the Big Block set-up in the next six to eight weeks or so. I am currently working on way too many things as it is!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 01-06-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
In that case... tomorrow! Actually, I am hoping to get the Big Block set-up in the next six to eight weeks or so. I am currently working on way too many things as it is!
The best argument for human cloning I've heard . . ....

I just went to the mailbox because I haven't read the 'write-up' everyones talking about & I got mine today! Very cool indeed Nathan..... this should boost sales in the near future!

On that note.... A while back, we were discussing in PM's & such about the possibility of using a manual rack on the C4 Dropmember. We learned it wouldn't be possible because of the stock manufactured 'off the shelf' C4 R&P you're using could be subjected to un-due stress & possibly shear the pinion teeth if used in a manual application. At the time of our discussions I kind of gave up on this because I had to take care of a family 'emergency' that depleted some of my truck $$.

Things are getting back to normal for my brother & I should have my $$ back soon so . . ..... How about the C4 Dropmember w/a custom manual R&P? IIRC, you were originally going to use a custom 'spec' set-up before you learned the stock C4 would be cheaper/easier to obtain.
Let me know your thoughts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-06-2007 at 08:36 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The best argument for human cloning I've heard . . ....

I just went to the mailbox because I haven't read the 'write-up' everyones talking about & I got mine today! Very cool indeed Nathan..... this should boost sales in the near future!

On that note.... A while back, we were discussing in PM's & such about the possibility of using a manual rack on the C4 Dropmember. We learned it wouldn't be possible because of the stock manufactured 'off the shelf' C4 R&P you're using could be subjected to un-due stress & possibly shear the pinion teeth if used in a manual application. At the time of our discussions I kind of gave up on this because I had to take care of a family 'emergency' that depleted some of my truck $$.

Things are getting back to normal for my brother & I should have my $$ back soon so . . ..... How about the C4 Dropmember w/a custom manual R&P? IIRC, you were originally going to use a custom 'spec' set-up before you learned the stock C4 would be cheaper/easier to obtain.
Let me know your thoughts.
I was wondering what happened... you seemed so interested!

I know all too well about the 'family emergencies' that can so easily deplete a savings account. Glad to hear all is well... or close to it again.

The underlying reasons a 'custom width manual rack' wasn't going to work has to do with the distance between the inner tie-rod pivots on the rack. The C4 width is 26" center to center, and the manual rack would be achieved by lengthening a MII design. The MII is a 24" center to center width, so one would think an inch added to each side would be easy enough to obtain...right? The problem with only one inch on each side is it isn't enough to create a strong enough joint on the extension piece. It needs to be at least two inches to have enough threads to be strong enough for the application.

One thought that has come to mind, is that we might be able to lengthen one side two inches to obtain a 26" center to center and then offset the rack mounts to compensate. I am trying to think through this and the only possible obstacles would be where the pinion shaft ended up for the steering when it moves over an inch... it's already pretty tight. It may not be possible to lengthen only one side... there may be a problem that I am missing. I will check into it more on Monday.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I was wondering what happened... you seemed so interested!

I know all too well about the 'family emergencies' that can so easily deplete a savings account. Glad to hear all is well... or close to it again.

The underlying reasons a 'custom width manual rack' wasn't going to work has to do with the distance between the inner tie-rod pivots on the rack. The C4 width is 26" center to center, and the manual rack would be achieved by lengthening a MII design. The MII is a 24" center to center width, so one would think an inch added to each side would be easy enough to obtain...right? The problem with only one inch on each side is it isn't enough to create a strong enough joint on the extension piece. It needs to be at least two inches to have enough threads to be strong enough for the application.

One thought that has come to mind, is that we might be able to lengthen one side two inches to obtain a 26" center to center and then offset the rack mounts to compensate. I am trying to think through this and the only possible obstacles would be where the pinion shaft ended up for the steering when it moves over an inch... it's already pretty tight. It may not be possible to lengthen only one side... there may be a problem that I am missing. I will check into it more on Monday.

Nathan,

I'm may be going out on a limb here because I have never really studied steering setups, but, would it be possible to shorten the Mustang II by 1" on each side so you could build the 2" extenders? If this makes sense I'll take a little credit, if it is a totally stupid suggestion, I was drunk when I wrote it .

R
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I am also interested in the Big Block dropmember. Keep us posted!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I'm saving for this as I type this, very cool upgrade
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
jlaird

I don't wont to hijack nathans post here, but wanted to comment quickly on laidouts frame. Very interesting how you are putting the stock trailing arms to use. That is the first time I'm seen this done. I'm actually surprised this is the first time I've seen this done. Would of saved me the cost of a 4link. Is there a reason nobody has attempted what laidout is doing with his trailing arms?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Is there a reason nobody has attempted what laidout is doing with his trailing arms?
It's really just a derivation of the stock setup. However, there's more load put on the "centering device" (Panhard, Watts, etc.). By canting the trailing arms at a greater angle, they are more inclined to self-center than parallel bars. Other than that... seems like a reasonable method. It certainly resolves the frame clearance issue on ultra-lowered trucks with stock frames (just behind the cab).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
el curioso

Ithink it's cuz no one like two links.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
laidout

i used squair tube we made the link bars just used the u bolt

but i might re do it and go with a 4 link just lack of cash pluc i had that laying around
laidout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
watahyahknow

it should work ok , just need to put a z type crosslink on the back of the diff to controll side to side movement .

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
laidout

ya im getting a watts link for it
laidout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Nathan, the more I read this post, the more I am swinging towards forking over the cash. I'll be in touch with you soon. My truck is going to my buddy's shop to have the motor pulled. What are your opinions on a non-powered rack? What are the benefits of the power rack other than ease of steering?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #22
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet View Post
Nathan, the more I read this post, the more I am swinging towards forking over the cash. I'll be in touch with you soon. My truck is going to my buddy's shop to have the motor pulled. What are your opinions on a non-powered rack? What are the benefits of the power rack other than ease of steering?
My opinions on the rack and pinion... For my personal vehicle, I would install a manual rack. Dino's 66 SWB and 63 panel both have manual racks and are a pleasure to drive. The only real added benefit of Power Assist is that it makes life easier turning at low speeds. If you are running a smaller diameter steering wheel, a power unit will diminish the amount of profanity while attempting to park. A manual rack is an almost sure thing that your wife or girlfriend will never want to drive your truck!

Of course, if you are going to be running other ammenities, such as A/C, why not go power rack as well? The added cost is about $150.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #23
PBFAB.COM

I have some updated pricing on the Dropmember and its options. These are Board Member pricing only. One small change in relation to board member discounts: The board discount will be available to SUPPORTING Board Members only as of Feb. 1st (well worth the $25 fee to support the board).

These prices do not include shipping costs.

Dropmember 'Basic Kit' $1290, includes the following:

-Main cross-member
-Inner frame plates
-Upper control arm/ bag mounts
-Motor mounts (SBC 350... BBC and LS1 coming soon)
-Trans crossmember
-Rack and pinion mounting bushings
-Tie-rod ends and tie rod adjuster/adapter sleeves
-Rack and pinion tie-rod notch
-All hardware to install Dropmember

Additional options and pricing (these items will be needed to complete installation… you may already have some of these items).

-Steering linkage (shaft, joints, and idler) $243
-Rack and pinion $225 (power), $207 (manual)
-Power steering lines $90
-Air Ride Tech. 'Strong Arms' $674.10 (tubular control arms are not necessary, but recommended. The Dropmember was designed to be used with Air Ride Technologies' Strong Arms. Stock arms can be used with slight trimming on lower control arm).
-Air Bags (Slam Specialties RE7) $150
-Shocks (Monroe) $105.05
-60-72 6-lug rotor kit (rotors, calipers, lines, bearings, pads, seals, dust caps) $365.31
-60-72 5-lug rotor kit (rotors, calipers, lines, bearings, pads, seals, dust caps) $348.98
-2.5" Drop Spindles (63-70) $304.08
-2.5" Drop Spindles (71-72… must use 'heavy duty' rotors) $304.08
-2" Drop Spindles (73-87) $295.66

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
shaneo2112RUSH

Quote:
I have some updated pricing on the Dropmember and its options. These are Board Member pricing only. One small change in relation to board member discounts: The board discount will be available to SUPPORTING Board Members only as of Feb. 1st (well worth the $25 fee to support the board).

These prices do not include shipping costs.

Dropmember 'Basic Kit' $1290, includes the following:

-Main cross-member
-Inner frame plates
-Upper control arm/ bag mounts
-Motor mounts (SBC 350... BBC and LS1 coming soon)
-Trans crossmember
-Rack and pinion mounting bushings
-Tie-rod ends and tie rod adjuster/adapter sleeves
-Rack and pinion tie-rod notch
-All hardware to install Dropmember

Additional options and pricing (these items will be needed to complete installation… you may already have some of these items).

-Steering linkage (shaft, joints, and idler) $243
-Rack and pinion $225 (power), $207 (manual)
-Power steering lines $90
-Air Ride Tech. 'Strong Arms' $674.10 (tubular control arms are not necessary, but recommended. The Dropmember was designed to be used with Air Ride Technologies' Strong Arms. Stock arms can be used with slight trimming on lower control arm).
-Air Bags (Slam Specialties RE7) $150
-Shocks (Monroe) $105.05
-60-72 6-lug rotor kit (rotors, calipers, lines, bearings, pads, seals, dust caps) $365.31
-60-72 5-lug rotor kit (rotors, calipers, lines, bearings, pads, seals, dust caps) $348.98
-2.5" Drop Spindles (63-70) $304.08
-2.5" Drop Spindles (71-72… must use 'heavy duty' rotors) $304.08
-2" Drop Spindles (73-87) $295.66
just wanted to know how much will you charge to install a complete system, labor and etc. bumper to bumper?
shaneo2112RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneo2112RUSH View Post
just wanted to know how much will you charge to install a complete system, labor and etc. bumper to bumper?
What is the starting point? Runnung driver? All sheetmetal? The starting point of the vehicle will have a large effect on the price. I charge by the hour, but can give a sound estimate.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson