The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
padresag

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

like the Capt states one should use the appropriate master. once you install the smaller master and perhaps find out that you can get away with it; it will never get changed. then one day you will need all that brake and find that you don't have it. someone then gets hurt( I am just making a general statement, not you personally, but if the shoe fits!!)
but I would just check if there was any difference in the master cyls. the one(m/c) on my
1 ton doesn't look any different from the others but may have a bigger bore. I know that the w/cyl are a good size larger. one would think that a vehicle wit a much greater GVW would have a larger total braking capacity.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Good points.
Thanks.

Thanks to Captain, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
like the Capt states one should use the appropriate master. once you install the smaller master and perhaps find out that you can get away with it; it will never get changed. then one day you will need all that brake and find that you don't have it. someone then gets hurt( I am just making a general statement, not you personally, but if the shoe fits!!)
but I would just check if there was any difference in the master cyls. the one(m/c) on my
1 ton doesn't look any different from the others but may have a bigger bore. I know that the w/cyl are a good size larger. one would think that a vehicle wit a much greater GVW would have a larger total braking capacity.
ron
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
rudy350

hey captainfab good avise your giving us.. this week i wanna go parts shopping.. you seen my 1965 gmc truck long bed 6 lug drum all around. has a 350 sbc ..

ok i decided to stay 6 lug but i want disk in the front and reliable stoping power what donor do i need that will come close to a direct bolt on ?? what do i need to look for? would really appriciate ur help
rudy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
rudy350

ive been reading alot do i need a complete c-member too ??
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You just need the parts from a '71-'87 C10 with the 1.25" rotors. Then you will have to buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. You don't have to swap the entire suspension with the crossmember. Although that is a quick and easy way to make the conversion, but only if the engine is out. Of course that also depends on if the donor suspension is in driveable condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy350 View Post
hey captainfab good avise your giving us.. this week i wanna go parts shopping.. you seen my 1965 gmc truck long bed 6 lug drum all around. has a 350 sbc ..

ok i decided to stay 6 lug but i want disk in the front and reliable stoping power what donor do i need that will come close to a direct bolt on ?? what do i need to look for? would really appriciate ur help
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy350 View Post
ive been reading alot do i need a complete c-member too ??
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
rudy350

Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
LostMy65

I also want to keep 6-Lug, and I don't want to widen the width the 73-87 swap causes.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If I'm not mistaken, the CPP modular spindles keep the narrower track width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I also want to keep 6-Lug, and I don't want to widen the width the 73-87 swap causes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That's the route I'm considering.

I was wondering though, if there was a complete front crossmember from a newer generation truck that doesn't increase the track width?

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design. I'm not sure just what the track width is when using the '88-'98 spindles on the earlier control arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
That's the route I'm considering.

I was wondering though, if there was a complete front crossmember from a newer generation truck that doesn't increase the track width?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
LostMy65

Quote:
The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design.
Okay.

Thank you for all the help you provide in these forums.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
rudy350

Quote:
The only front suspension that is an easy swap is the '71-'87's......and they are the wider track width. The '88-'98's are wider yet, plus are a completely different design. I'm not sure just what the track width is when using the '88-'98 spindles on the earlier control arms.
so does that means the donor truck front c-member will make my wheel stick out farther out, right??

also wen i do the swap with the donor i use its upper and lower a arms correct. what about my breaking (brake buster,master cyl) will i need the one from the donor? and captain fab will ur master cylinder braket and power sterring braket work on my truck??
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
LostMy65

Quote:
If I go that route, I'll probably get drop spindles and 6-lug rotors:
http://www.performanceonline.com/FRO...10-TRUCK-8600/

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
Darkrider

Ok Im def gonna go about it with the C2500LD brake rotors i have a couple questions:

1: when looking at aftermarket spindles am i looking for ones for 1 inch or 1 1/4 rotors? I have seen both on the site i would be ordering from, Just want to make sure i would have the right ones for using the factory 6 lug rotors from the 88+ 6 lug 2500s

2: Will the control arms from a C30 from the 73-87 model trucks work? I have a line on a pair from the same 1 ton im getting the 6.2 Diesel from for my project.
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will need spindles for the 1-1/4" rotors.

As far as I know the C30 lower control arms should work. If you want to verify before purchasing the control arms, go to the parts store and compare the '88-'98 lower ball joints with the C30 lower ball joints. See of the part that presses into the control arm is the same.

When you determine if they will work or not, please post back here so the rest of us will know. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Ok Im def gonna go about it with the C2500LD brake rotors i have a couple questions:

1: when looking at aftermarket spindles am i looking for ones for 1 inch or 1 1/4 rotors? I have seen both on the site i would be ordering from, Just want to make sure i would have the right ones for using the factory 6 lug rotors from the 88+ 6 lug 2500s

2: Will the control arms from a C30 from the 73-87 model trucks work? I have a line on a pair from the same 1 ton im getting the 6.2 Diesel from for my project.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Darkrider

Quote:
You will need spindles for the 1-1/4" rotors.

As far as I know the C30 lower control arms should work. If you want to verify before purchasing the control arms, go to the parts store and compare the '88-'98 lower ball joints with the C30 lower ball joints. See of the part that presses into the control arm is the same.

When you determine if they will work or not, please post back here so the rest of us will know. Thanks
Its been awhile since i have been on here. However i have found out the following by doing a search on Rockauto as well as the MOOG website. The 71-87 C20 models and C30 models use the same upper and lower ball joints. As i mentioned before i know where i can get my hands on basically a complete C30 dually donor truck. So im going to wind up going one of two ways. Either pull the entire front suspension and rear diff from the C30 and make my truck into a C30 or pull the entire front end from the C30 and the front end of my C10 and do a full a cross member swap with the 2500LD spindles and rotors. Unless i can pull just the Upper and lower control arms from the C30 and bolt them to my C10s existing front end. But to be honest i would rather pull the entire crossmember assembly since that will also give me the proper engine mounting points for the 6.2 Diesel. Unless of course the mount points are the same between cross members.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can install the C30 control arms onto your C10 crossmember. But if you are going to be changing engines anyway, it may be a little less work to just change the entire front suspension. Although I believe the holes in the crossmember for the motor mounts are the same.

Quote:
Its been awhile since i have been on here. However i have found out the following by doing a search on Rockauto as well as the MOOG website. The 71-87 C20 models and C30 models use the same upper and lower ball joints. As i mentioned before i know where i can get my hands on basically a complete C30 dually donor truck. So im going to wind up going one of two ways. Either pull the entire front suspension and rear diff from the C30 and make my truck into a C30 or pull the entire front end from the C30 and the front end of my C10 and do a full a cross member swap with the 2500LD spindles and rotors. Unless i can pull just the Upper and lower control arms from the C30 and bolt them to my C10s existing front end. But to be honest i would rather pull the entire crossmember assembly since that will also give me the proper engine mounting points for the 6.2 Diesel. Unless of course the mount points are the same between cross members.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Darkrider

Quote:
You can install the C30 control arms onto your C10 crossmember. But if you are going to be changing engines anyway, it may be a little less work to just change the entire front suspension. Although I believe the holes in the crossmember for the motor mounts are the same.
Good to know. I cant really see why GM would have changed things much if at all when it comes to the engine mounting. There was a member on here who put a 6.2 Diesel in his 1 ton that was an I6. I think he had to do some searching to figure out what mounts worked but thats about it. I may go hunting in the yards to see if i can find any other C20/C30s to pull arms from since the Donor i mentioned is a lil more complete then i would want to break down into a donor. It was a guys resto project.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
Darkrider

Thanks for the info. Im assuming i could verify this by checking to see if by any chance the C20 and C30 use the same lower ball joint?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you could do that as well.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Im assuming i could verify this by checking to see if by any chance the C20 and C30 use the same lower ball joint?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
whlman5150

Hello all, I am new to the forums and am trying to gather some information for a new project I am beginning. I picked up a 62 Chevy C10 shortbed fleet side. The truck needs work to get it back on the road, the rust issues, body, engine, etc. The truck has the straight six (not sure of the engine size..if anyone has info to do this it's appreciated), drum brakes all around, I believe its a 4 speed..on the floor, has a 10 bolt rear end, not sure if it has a positraction or what the gears are.

Some of the modifications and upgrades include putting an LS engine and 4L60e tranny in it, upgrading the brakes to disc, fronts first and rears later. I plan on taking it down to the frame to start cleaning and repairing so I am trying to decide the way to go on the suspension and brakes. I am on a moderate budget so keeping that in mind here are my questions.

For the 62, what year front suspension / brake swap is recommended? Also need info about running a master cylinder and booster or possibly a hydro boost. I think I saw a thread from CaptFab about a hydro boost, just can't find it now.

I've seen people do the 5 lug conversion. Is this done to add the disc brakes or because of wheel choice and available rims for a 5 lug? And, if you do the swap, do you want to go with the 5-4 3/4 or 5-5? Is changing over to a 5 lug recommended or stay with 6?

My plans for the truck include rims and tires. The look I'm going for is a lowered profile look with a slight rake. I'm not sure if I want to run air bags but will definitely be lowering it, nothing crazy I still want it drivable. The rims I was thinking about are either 22x10 in rear, 20x10 in front or just running 20s all around....still looking at different combos. But again, goes back to my question about the lug patterns.

Any information is appreciated...just trying to get this thing going. Thanks!

Gary
Posted via Mobile Device
whlman5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The compatable front suspensions for the '60-'62 trucks is any '71-'87 C10 front suspension. You will have to change the entire suspension, crossmember and all. On the '60-'62' there are more holes that need to be drilled as compared to the '63-'70's. I believe member markeb01 did a writeup on this conversion, as he has done it on his '60. It might be referenced in the '60-'66 FAQ index at the top of the page.

Typically the 5x5 conversion is done as this is what the C10's with disc brakes came with. You can buy aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit the '71-'87 HD spindles.

As for the brakes, yes I do sell brackets for that. There are links to the for sale threads in my signature line. Here is the one for the auto trans version

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...49#post3479149

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlman5150 View Post
Hello all, I am new to the forums and am trying to gather some information for a new project I am beginning. I picked up a 62 Chevy C10 shortbed fleet side. The truck needs work to get it back on the road, the rust issues, body, engine, etc. The truck has the straight six (not sure of the engine size..if anyone has info to do this it's appreciated), drum brakes all around, I believe its a 4 speed..on the floor, has a 10 bolt rear end, not sure if it has a positraction or what the gears are.

Some of the modifications and upgrades include putting an LS engine and 4L60e tranny in it, upgrading the brakes to disc, fronts first and rears later. I plan on taking it down to the frame to start cleaning and repairing so I am trying to decide the way to go on the suspension and brakes. I am on a moderate budget so keeping that in mind here are my questions.

For the 62, what year front suspension / brake swap is recommended? Also need info about running a master cylinder and booster or possibly a hydro boost. I think I saw a thread from CaptFab about a hydro boost, just can't find it now.

I've seen people do the 5 lug conversion. Is this done to add the disc brakes or because of wheel choice and available rims for a 5 lug? And, if you do the swap, do you want to go with the 5-4 3/4 or 5-5? Is changing over to a 5 lug recommended or stay with 6?

My plans for the truck include rims and tires. The look I'm going for is a lowered profile look with a slight rake. I'm not sure if I want to run air bags but will definitely be lowering it, nothing crazy I still want it drivable. The rims I was thinking about are either 22x10 in rear, 20x10 in front or just running 20s all around....still looking at different combos. But again, goes back to my question about the lug patterns.

Any information is appreciated...just trying to get this thing going. Thanks!

Gary
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
whlman5150

CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 02-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #24
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes any '71-'87 C10 front suspension will work to convert your truck to front disc brakes. This will eliminate the torsion bars, and replace them with coil springs. The presence of the torsion bars is why you have to switch the entire suspension, crossmember and all on the '60-'62 trucks. I have heard of using front rotors from a '70 Impala to achieve the 5 x 4.75 wheel bolt pattern, but I have not been able to confirm that, that will work.

If it were my truck, I would change the Eaton HO32 10 bolt for either a '63-'82 truck 12 bolt, or a '83-'87 8.5 truck 10 bolt. This will give you wider gear selection, and better braking choices as well. Of course the most of the '63-'72 12 bolts are already setup for the coil springs and trailing arms. Although, you will still need to relocate the trailing arm mounts to be able to bolt them up to your trailing arms. The '71-'82 12 bolts will have the 5 x 5" wheel bolt pattern, but they will be 1.5" wider overall than your original rear end. You can also go with a '63 to early '70 12 bolt and buy the 5 x 5 conversion axles. These years will be the same width as your original rear end.

The '80-'87 truck power steering boxes will have the metric with O-ring fittings that should match up with the pump on your 5.3 engine. It is still possible that you may need to have a pressure hose made to fit your particular setup. But if you have a OEM hose with the correct ends on it, that will same you some $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlman5150 View Post
CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
whlman5150

Will any front suspension from Chevy or GMC full size (1/2 ton) vans from these years work also? Are the front frames the same?
Posted via Mobile Device