The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: What I can afford, when I can afford it... 70 Chevy LWB

Very nice work on the steering box cooler and wiring.

New pipes
One step closer.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Low Elco

Mufflers-BOOOOOO!!!!! Gotta keep the po-po happy, I guess. Almost on the road, Baby!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the steering box cooler and wiring.

New pipes
One step closer.
Almost late for work getting it dropped off. Scared all the birds out of the trees next to the muffler shop when I fired her up. Should be ready to pick up on the way home. Putting some flowmasters on it, should have a nice rumble when I step on it, but quiet when cruising down the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Mufflers-BOOOOOO!!!!! Gotta keep the po-po happy, I guess. Almost on the road, Baby!
I like em pretty quiet so that'll make me happy too. I try to prevent drawing the attention of the Po Po whenever possible.

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
KSWes

Had butterflies in my stomach the whole time I was hauling the truck to and from the muffler shop. Big O tires in Gardner KS, does a great job, all welded no clamps, and Mandrel bent.

I didn't have time to do a video last night but I took a couple pictures before I headed to work today. I'll make some noise on a video with it tonight. A little more aggressive than I had planned but still quiet enough to keep me out of trouble.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Low Elco

Ah, they tucked it up the center too. Nice work! Can't wait to hear it. I never asked, since you mentioned work, what do you do for a livin'?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
KSWes

Quote:
Ah, they tucked it up the center too. Nice work! Can't wait to hear it. I never asked, since you mentioned work, what do you do for a livin'?
Thanks and yeah I think he wanted to run it outside of the trailing arms but, I have my fuel line, fuel pump, fuel filter on the passenger side frame rail, so he tucked it in the middle he said that was the way the factory ran them. Looks pretty good to me.

I work for 106-5 The Wolf, Country radio station here in KC. I'm the Program Director and do an air shift. Never really mentioned where I work as most guys don't really talk about their day jobs other than to talk about how much they eat in to the time they'd like to be working on their trucks.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Low Elco

Hey, that works out! With the current trends in country music, (lotsa truck songs) you can use it for station promos! Score! I'll have to listen in, I'm an ipod all day guy,(current song: Ozzy, Children of the Grave off the Tribute album) not much radio, reception stinks here in the Bunker.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
KSWes

Quote:
Hey, that works out! With the current trends in country music, (lotsa truck songs) you can use it for station promos! Score! I'll have to listen in, I'm an ipod all day guy,(current song: Ozzy, Children of the Grave off the Tribute album) not much radio, reception stinks here in the Bunker.
Right!! I thought maybe I'd use it to pull a station float in the Snake Saturday Parade next year. A green truck would fit right in for a St. Patrick's Day parade and there should be no excuses not to have it done by then. I didn't pick up what you do along the way either, what keeps you busy when you're not working on your projects.

Love me some Rock also, we were in the car with the baby last weekend and she was fussing and then "until It Sleeps" from Metallica came on and she calmed right down. I pointed it out to the wife and she seemed skeptical until a day later she quieted right down once again when Metallica came on. I might have to get her a Metallica onesy.

I listen to everything really, but country music and country music fans have been awfully good to me and the stations I've worked for and kept me employed for quite a while so it's my fav.

I meant to put this picture up a while back, baby and her first time sitting in a shopping cart (with a little help) Home Depot of course!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Low Elco

AWWWWWWWW.... yer killin' me! It's like a tractorbeam of cuteness! My two have grown up on 70's-80's hard rock and metal. (and Buffett!) The 11-year old was singin' along to Motorhead in the shop just yesterday. I'm a huge music freak.

I'm trained as a machinist, currently a gage lab Tech at Lake City Ammo Plant. I rebuild, reset and certify the precision fixtures and gages used on the production lines.

Snake Saturday with that oughta be awesome! We have a family friend who's in local politics, and we have to get Yeller runnin' to pull his float in all the parades this fall. Boppa mentioned that just the other day.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
KSWes

Quote:
AWWWWWWWW.... yer killin' me! It's like a tractorbeam of cuteness! My two have grown up on 70's-80's hard rock and metal. (and Buffett!) The 11-year old was singin' along to Motorhead in the shop just yesterday. I'm a huge music freak.

I'm trained as a machinist, currently a gage lab Tech at Lake City Ammo Plant. I rebuild, reset and certify the precision fixtures and gages used on the production lines.

Snake Saturday with that oughta be awesome! We have a family friend who's in local politics, and we have to get Yeller runnin' to pull his float in all the parades this fall. Boppa mentioned that just the other day.
Thanks! She's a good and happy kid, I'm a pretty lucky guy to get to be her dad.

Pulling floats in parades and puttering around sounds like a good time to me. Also looking forward to being able to pull a camper.

A machinist sounds like a very cool job to me! I envy people who are good with math, you can pretty much do anything if you're good at math, And truly build and fabricate something from nothing. The rest of us get it close and hope it's good enough.

I grew up in the 80's and love all the 80's metal stuff, one of my first gigs was working at a classic rock station where I really got familiar with the 60 and 70 rock. So the baby will get exposed to everything I'm sure.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like they did a great job on the exhaust. Very cute kid too! future gear head I'm sure. Video.......
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
KSWes

Quote:
Looks like they did a great job on the exhaust. Very cute kid too! future gear head I'm sure. Video.......
Thanks Mike, I'm happy with them, stainless would have been nice but I don't plan on driving on salty roads so these should last a longtime. I'm REALLY happy to be able to move the truck around again without having to push or pull.

The baby is going to get her share of time in the garage. Looking forward to her being better at all of this than me. Video tonight when I get home. I'll have the wife come out and start it up so I can get a video. Plus I'm pretty sure she's really ready to drive it, so maybe this will satisfy her until it's street legal again.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
KSWes

It was after dark when we got out there tonight to do this so didn't run it for long. The kiddo was in bed and the neighbors have kids so didn't want to make too much noise. But as you can hear its not to loud not, too quiet. I'll call it a Goldilocks level...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Low Elco

Right on! Sounds great! I really like the old school small white bumper on the back. You don't hardly see those anymore!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
KSWes

Quote:
Right on! Sounds great! I really like the old school small white bumper on the back. You don't hardly see those anymore!
Thanks! I still have a couple things I need to do to the carb to make sure it's runs good. It's a Holley and the wire I have for the electric choke was too short so I have it unhooked at the moment so if you run it for long it starts running really rich and loading up. Also the fuel regulator is set right around 7 psi, I am going to back it down to 5. The Manual says between 5-7 psi but I think it would be better to be on the low end of that since I'm using an electric fuel pump.

The truck didn't have a bumper when I got it, That is the one I wanted when I went looking, and was lucky enough to find one from a guy over in Lenexa, made from 1/4 steel and probably strong enough to actually use for towing. I've seen a lot of the ones that wrap around back of the bed sides, and usually bent into the bed side from a hit, so I didn't want one of those.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
KSWes

Had to make a couple changes with gauges on the instrument cluster. I'll have to rewire a few things in the back to accommodate the auto meter gauges.

I haven't done a whole lot in the last couple of weeks. Cleaning the garage and more organizing. Doing a little here and there to get ready for paint in the garage again. I'll need as much space as I can find since I'll be shooting the entire bed, front fenders, hood, cowl and anything else that needs done. The body shop sent me a pic of some of the progress on the bedsides and it's looking really good.

Said they should be ready to come back to me in a couple weeks so it should be perfect timing for the rest of my stuff.

Found a place I can buy some white oak boards to do the bed. I wasn't willing to pay the 400+ for the bed kits you can buy online. I can run a table saw and a drill and cut my own boards, I found a local saw mill where I could buy wood at a reasonable price northwest of Topeka, called Kansas Hardwood and they had what I was looking for. They cut local trees and the money stays around here, which I'm also happy about.

Taking a week off work the 23rd so I can make a little progress and to burn a little vacation time.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
mcbassin
Still Learning

New mufflers sound great!
Glad to see you're getting close at the paint shop.

I'm totally with you on keeping the money local and doing the work yourself, I have always made my own step side bed wood too. I made a nice router jig on my last one.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Low Elco

Who are you using for the body? Glad to see they're doing you right. Cluster looks great. Off myself the week of the 30th. Hoping to get a lot done.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
KSWes

Quote:
New mufflers sound great!
Glad to see you're getting close at the paint shop.

I'm totally with you on keeping the money local and doing the work yourself, I have always made my own step side bed wood too. I made a nice router jig on my last one.
Thanks Mike, I need to do another video of the engine running fresh plugs and have the timing dialed in finally and it's running awesome, was running rich and a little sputtery in that video. How did you do your router jig? I'm trying to decide if it would be best to cut grooves with the table saw or a router?

Quote:
Who are you using for the body? Glad to see they're doing you right. Cluster looks great. Off myself the week of the 30th. Hoping to get a lot done.
Thanks, I had originally wants to do all Stewart Warner but was having a hard time finding the stuff I was wanting so shifted gears and went for the Old Time White Auto Meter's and still have Stewart Warner cheapy's on the bottom row. Something I may go back later on down the road and change to match the top.

The shop that's working on the bed sides just opened in Ottawa, Bowling Collision and Custom, LINK he fixed the damage to the cab I'm using also that was before he launched the full-time business, Ryan Bowling is the owner and is one of the most hard working meticulous guys around. So far he's keeping busy with insurance crack up's but does also have some slower moving complete custom and full restoration work happening, my stuff I asked that he put at the bottom of his priority list and it's worked well, he's getting around to them now and I'm just about ready for them. Body work is not my thing I've rediscovered that about myself in this process. I don't have the patience or the eyes to see what you need to see to get parts straight. I do like welding in patches.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWes View Post
Thanks Mike, I need to do another video of the engine running fresh plugs and have the timing dialed in finally and it's running awesome, was running rich and a little sputtery in that video. How did you do your router jig? I'm trying to decide if it would be best to cut grooves with the table saw or a router?
I did it a couple ways, I have done a few sets. The first set, I just got a straight piece of wood and build a guide fence, cut all the shallow cuts first, then came back and cut all the deeper cuts with the smaller bit.
On another set, I made an aluminum bracket that mounted to the router. Basically, an adjustable stop that slide with it to keep the width consistent.
I'm a tight wad so I always look for a cheap way to do things even it takes more time.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #21
KSWes

Quote:
Mmmmmm... Smells like green paint up in here! Glad he's doin' you right.
Yes! Green paint soon! Not going to have it done by the 4th of July but maybe I'll be painting by the end of July...

Quote:
I did it a couple ways, I have done a few sets. The first set, I just got a straight piece of wood and build a guide fence, cut all the shallow cuts first, then came back and cut all the deeper cuts with the smaller bit.
On another set, I made an aluminum bracket that mounted to the router. Basically, an adjustable stop that slide with it to keep the width consistent.
I'm a tight wad so I always look for a cheap way to do things even it takes more time.
I was thinking of making the cuts with a table saw but a router may be quicker way to go though with the guide fence. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
KSWes

Haven't got much to report last weekend was the lake trip and we had a great time other than the baby caught a stuffy nose. The truck when on the back burner to get the camper up to par for the weekend. Wanted to post a quick picture and a solution to a problem I had with using an electric fuel pump. With it bolted to the frame I could really hear it in the cab, even just moving the truck around I knew it would become a annoyance very quickly once the truck is done and I'm using it again. I went on a search for a solution and what I found all but eliminated the noise from the fuel pump.

I found these at Grainger Part #: 2NPA1

They're rubber motor isolation pads.

Also planning on painting all the bed pieces this weekend. I was going to try and do that and the front clip at the same time but my garage isn't big enough. Seems like the smart thing to because getting the bed back together is going to be a big project. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
KSWes

Been a good week so far. Bed sides came home today.

Was able to pick up some oak for the bed floor last weekend.

Getting a few things done on my week off.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Low Elco

Mmmmmm... Smells like green paint up in here! Glad he's doin' you right.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
Low Elco

Cheap easy similar solution: Beeeg Theeek Mudflaps from tsc or wherever. Lop off a chunk, drill a hole, ta da! Vibration Isolator. Looks Good! Hope Baby dries up soon!