The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #251
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Shop Truck refurb, code name Chaser

Have to see if I can fit a trip in to the city before my vacation or not. We have a trip to Vegas planned the second week of October. Also have to see if this guy in Sapulpa actually calls me to come get that '74 or not. Still need to yank that other back door off as well. And I guess if these 'burban doors really won't work for what I want on the '74, might as well sell them.

Once I know for sure when I'm coming we'll compile a list of stuff I guess.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #252
joe231

Cool man
Scott and I picked up a parts burb today with good doors, but I still need those door panels and lower carpet panels if you still have them....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #253
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Been driving the fire outta the '87, running like a champ! I couldn't be happier really with it now. Does have some low RPM vibration, but it's either the drive shaft or the transmission, hopefully the drive shaft.

Some of you know, got a set of 6.5" rallies to get done up for my car hauler trailer. Got the old tires off of them and took the wheels to get blasted. Will paint them white to match my trailers pin stripes, should look good on there.

Got a '74 model bought and drug to the shop. Took the grille and front bezels off for safety reasons (got thieving wieners around the shop after hours) and parked it outside. Just dreaming on it for now and gathering my thoughts and preparing an attack plan. Need to start another thread perhaps for it so others can help me day dream on it.

Going to Vegas next week for a little vacation, so I know not much will get done to her very soon. Won't be long and we'll tackle the body work on it and get it painted. I'm wanting to wait until at least the break in oil is ready to come out of it since I know it will be sitting for a week or three without much movement. If it is as slow in the shop after I return from vacation, as it is now, we might start on it right away. I think my two body guys can knock most the dents out and fill the cab seam in about 3 or 4 days, and the painter will knock it out from there in probably another 3 or 4 days. Of course I know once we get a good start on it, the shop will get slammed, is just the way it goes.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #254
nbpro
Account Suspended

have a good vacation bro
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #255
pockets

Ahh Vegas... I wish I was back there... Was there 3 years prior to moving back here last summer. I do miss it

have a good time out there.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #256
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Is still a week away, but, in 7 days at this time I'll be hearing the ding ding ding and smell the smell of 1000's of savings going down the drain. Has been a year since my last day off or vacation, so I'm due. Is just sort of a hard thing to do as a business owner. Basically when I leave we have to literally shut the shop down more or less, so we pick slow times to do it, and this be it! Still can't figure out why when the fair comes to town we get slooooow. But it happens every year like clock work!

Plus NACE is going on in Vegas that week, so it'll be a write off for us to go. Dragging my painter with us, leaving my body man and helper here alone to keep the ship afloat for me. I have total faith in him though.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, my need for a vacation is about a 30.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #257
pockets

hmm. NACE... National Association of Catering Executives ?? You a chef too? lol

The weather is perfect this time of year there. Not too hot and usually a nice breeze, unlike the summer when the breeze is like an open oven.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #258
joe231

Quote:
NACE, the International Autobody Congress & Exposition, is the world's collision repair event! This year celebrates the 28th annual NACE event. Created to provide buyers and sellers within the collision repair community a place to network, NACE is the only professional event dedicated to the industry. With more than 80 educational sessions planned, unmatched networking opportunities, and a world class show floor, NACE is a unique marketplace to see all the products, services, equipment and technology available to industry professionals.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #259
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The fair kills us, too. there isn't really any rhyme or reason for it, but it seems to work that way. We are either dead, or wide open during the fair. This year is dead. I took off yesterday to go to the fair. I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I did get to see my almost 2 year old learn to shift gears in a new CTS-V. Every day she is more like me. God help us........

Randy, have you been to NACE before? It was here a few (probably more like 8 or 9) years ago, and it was cool to see. It's probably different being halfway across the country rather than 20 minutes from the shop, too.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #260
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yeah I've been to a few NACE before, amazingly always when it was in Vegas. Funny how that works eh?

Drove the truck home tonight and stopped and topped off the tank. Gonna go out tomorrow and pick up a SWB frame for my '74, thinking I'll take the square to do it in even though I don't have trailer brakes on it. Shouldn't really need them I'm thinking, not just hauling a bare frame.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #261
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
The fair kills us, too. there isn't really any rhyme or reason for it, but it seems to work that way. We are either dead, or wide open during the fair. This year is dead. I took off yesterday to go to the fair. I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I did get to see my almost 2 year old learn to shift gears in a new CTS-V. Every day she is more like me. God help us........
Same here. The time starting with back to school, through the fair, and then to the first cold snap is one of our slowest times of year.

Maybe the 2yo was trying to tell you that you should have kept the CTS-V.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #262
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Used the truck to go get a SWB frame as I mentioned I was gonna. It pulled it fine, never had a real issue with stopping power. Had more of an issue with the bare frame moving, kept bouncing around, needed one more come-a-long. That'll teach me to not just take all I own when doing something like this, figured I would be safe with one chain and one come-a-long.

That trailer is gonna look good with these white wheels. Need to get my guys to get that done while I'm gone this week.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #263
JohnC

That looks like a good score on the roller man. I was expecting just a frame.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #264
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I took 4 wheels with me so it would roll, everything he left on it basically because he didn't want to take the time to tear it down further I think. The guy I'm getting some of this stuff from in Skiatook, he is a super nice guy. Wish everyone was like him honestly.
Got out there, he had the frame up by his shop, used his tractor to lift it while we zipped the wheels on it, with his air and impact, I was expecting to hand jack it and use the 4 way. Then he used the tractor to lift one end and push it up on the trailer while I just sorta guided it. Talk about easy stuff.
Half way through Skiatook on my way to his house, someone pulled up beside me and told me I was about to lose a ramp on the trailer. I got it over to the side of the road and put the ramp in my bed, I guess someone stole a keeper pin (don't see how that could fall off, almost impossible I'd think, and we've had issues with thieves in my back lot). I told the guy about it after we had the frame loaded, he went in to his shop and got one of his extras and gave it to me. That was very very nice of him I thought. Then, I spotted a 75 k5 sitting behind his house, the front grille and lamps were all gone, but it had the left headlamp bezel on it still, I inquired and he said I could have it. So I scored one of those for my '74 as well, real metal and not a plastic repop.
I'll for sure keep him in mind any time I need anything. Wish I woulda had my camera at his place. Inside his shop, he has some nice toys. He had a nice 86 SWB with a big block that looked very built, he was claiming 450h.p. on it. Several other trucks and hotrods, probably 15 in all inside. Outside he had several more old trucks, blazers and hot rods. Is what I imagine my house and shop would look like if I lived out in the country on a few acres with no close neighbors.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #265
nbpro
Account Suspended

well looks like was a good road trip

Last edited by nbpro; 10-09-2010 at 07:25 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #266
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like a nice score on the chassis! New project or are you converting this one?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #267
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The frame is for the new project I got last weekend, a 74 model. It needs a bed, so I thought why not make it a short wheel base while I'm at it. It's still in the dreaming phase though.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #268
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
The frame is for the new project I got last weekend, a 74 model. It needs a bed, so I thought why not make it a short wheel base while I'm at it. It's still in the dreaming phase though.
I see beds on Craigs occasionally, I will keep an eye out for you. You want a fleetside I assume?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #269
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Actually was thinking stepper, but it'll be a trick finding one for the year. I'm wanting to keep the "non gas lid door" style for it. There's a local who has a couple of regular fleetsides I could use, but I got tons of time so I'll just be patient. I'm just gathering a few things for now, so I can get a start on it when ever I find the time. Probably this winter at earliest.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #270
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Not a thing done to the truck this week that I know of, but I was off in Vegas and have no idea what my guys might have tinkered with.
I did come in to work this morning and found my trailer inside, looks like they swapped the wheels out with the 6.5" rallies I acquired a few weeks ago. I gotta say they look nice on there!
Also noticed they took some photos on my camera, not real sure what they did but seems like they might have found a bad weld or something while the wheels were off of it. Anyways, thought I'd put some pictures up since we all like pictures. I'm still whooped from spending all day yesterday getting home. We did have a very nice trip though, cost us about $300 for everything according to the wife. That includes meals, gambling, rooms etc etc etc. The royal flush she hit helped a lot, but I seemed to find tons of 4 of a kinds every day (we play quarter video poker).
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #271
joe231

That looks sweet!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #272
Stitch
Account Suspended

Looking good Randy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #273
JohnC

Looks good man!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #274
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ohhhh, might have some fenders in primer this week. "Let the body work begin!" Still sort of slow here at the shop, told my guys they could use the truck as a time filler type thing. I just asked that it be able to be driven at the end of the week until the major portion of the body work is done. Once we get the bed off so the cab corners can be done real quick, she'll be down for the count until paint is done. Also while the bed is off we have to yank the seat and pull the carpet back so the cab bolts can be removed (3 out of 4 are spinning, doh) and new mounts installed.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #275
joe231

Posted via Mobile Device