The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: My new build thread: Stage 4!

Looks right at home!!! With Great room all around to work on it!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
swyfor5

Thank's a lot VA! Big step for me here. Gotta save cash for the rest of resto! Sat out in barn tonight for a while, next to K5- planning next steps-AWESOME!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
swyfor5

Just ordered up a new radiator core support from WES at Classic heartbeat. Got looking at mine and decided I didn't want to reuse it. It probably is saveable, but I figure I'm going this far-what the heck! Working 7 days a week, hard to get anything done. Hmm, going out to the barn.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
swyfor5

Looking for battery tray ideas, ordered up the new core support and don't think I want to go with the stock setup. Want a auxilary tray also for the soon to be installed winch too. Looking at optima stuff, anybody got pic's of thier setups?

Last edited by swyfor5; 08-22-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Looking for battery tray ideas, ordered up the new core support and don't think I want to go with the stock setup. Want a auxilary tray also for the soon to be installed winch too. Looking at optima stuff, anybody got pic's of thier setups?

ARTEC

OR to mount to the frame somewhere....

Speedway Motors

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 08-23-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: added more optioins
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

One option would be to install two drop down battery boxes somewhere at the rear of the frame. Cpp sells them but I've found them cheaper online. If you put them at the rear the added benefit is weight over the rear tires for
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool! Looking forward to the weekend pics!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good! nice parts and setup.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
vtblazer

Very cool!

You got your shop built!
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
swyfor5

Thank's guy's! Good to see ya back on here VT! It's been a long road to get the barn built, but it's done now and I can make some real progress. I've got almost everything to swap in the 1 ton axles and do the crossover/high steer setup. Also do the rear shackle flip, and setup the 14 bolt rear with disc brakes. Oh, and install the new poly body mounts. Then I will probably move on to getting the new body and floor panels welded in. Wow, the list goes on and on.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
RossRinSD

Where did you get the front bumper?

Looking for something similar for my K10
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
swyfor5

Kennesaw mtn.com- I like it, but be careful. I am going to have to rework it to make it how I want it. Follow my bumper thread from way back and it was a nightmare! Told them exactly what I wanted, and got something different! Took months to get it and still have to redo it, but am still happy with the design,so can make it work! Buddy up the road at Chaos offroad is going to fab up my rear bumper. Just ordered up the spare tire swivel/bearing/spindle setup from AtoZ Fabrication!Also, will have to to do some extra fab work to the Kennesaw frt bumper to reinforce the winch area, but my buddy can do that no problem once the the winch is fabbed up in there!Planning on adding some old school kc off road lights to the front bumper after changing the outer tubing to how I want it! I will have good recovery points onboard frt and rear once this done!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
RossRinSD

lol, Just finished reading the whole thread. It never hurts to hear about how the rest of you guys are struggling through all the everyday stuff.

I finally got my workshop built about a year ago, had to borrow about $7 grand to get it finished. I was renting out a room to a buddy, but he moved out last week, that sure put a dent in the funds for projects.

Then, I burned up the transmission in my 04 Silverado.

The faster I put money in the fun envelope, the faster crap needs fixing. Seems like a struggle just to get a few dollars together. I quit drinking and started skipping lunches to save money faster... The next big project is an axle swap to disc brakes, that includes new wheels to clear, switch to 8 lugs, and of course 35 inch tires, too.

I'll see if I can't find your bumper thread.

At least I've got a little Colorado for a work truck I take home everyday.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
swyfor5

Right on R! My DD is a 01 S10 4door. Ordered up a swingout spare tire carrier kit from AtoZ Fab last night. My buddy at Chaos 4x4 is going to fab me up a custom rear bumper to kinda match my frt one. Something a long the lines of Burt4x4's design. 40" tire or so, which means it has to be beefy stout! I went with the mega spindle kit to get the heaviest setup. Tubing will be along the lines of the tubing on the frt bumper and the future family cage setup.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
swyfor5

Oh man, got a fever, the K5 fever! Just ordered up 2 weld on shackle mounts for the rear bumper and 4 HD d rings for the front and rear bumpers! When they arrive I will have almost everything I need to have my rear bumper/tire carrier fabbed up. Oh, except maybe some cash to get it all done at once! Gotta talk to my bud about ordering up the tubing I need to weld up the spare tire carrier this weekend! Will post up some parts pic's when the stuff arrives!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
swyfor5

Waiting on AtoZ parts to arrive. Looked through my parts pile and found a real nice stock battery tray I picked up somewhere off ebay. It will clean up nice with a little sandblasting and fresh paint. Just need to find a stock auxilary battery tray for the winch battery. Got the new core support, so want it to look right and clean! I am going with optima or the like batteries, so am also looking at custom holddown brackets for the stock trays with that type of battery? Anybody got any pic's of red tops or the like bolted in?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
coggonobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Waiting on AtoZ parts to arrive. Looked through my parts pile and found a real nice stock battery tray I picked up somewhere off ebay. It will clean up nice with a little sandblasting and fresh paint. Just need to find a stock auxilary battery tray for the winch battery. Got the new core support, so want it to look right and clean! I am going with optima or the like batteries, so am also looking at custom holddown brackets for the stock trays with that type of battery? Anybody got any pic's of red tops or the like bolted in?
my red top bolted right in with stock hardware and held tight.

David
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
bigbadchev72
People know me

Can you get some pics of the backside of your bumper? I am gonna be making my own take on something similar. Is it one pice of steel bent at the angles or was it all welded out of seperate pieces? What thickness is it?

The shop looks awesome! You are gonna wish you made it bigger by the time you start tearing your k5 apart. I swear these things grow 3 times there size when taken apart!
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
RossRinSD

Hey, is it really necessary to run a battery isolator with dual batteries? I've been told that they discharge each other??

Have you considered dual alternators, too? Is there a kit to do something like that?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
coggonobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossRinSD View Post
Hey, is it really necessary to run a battery isolator with dual batteries? I've been told that they discharge each other??

Have you considered dual alternators, too? Is there a kit to do something like that?
NO You don't, tractors never have
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
swyfor5

Been saving this tip from Burt4x4, and am going this way when funds allow! Website is hellroaring.com Definitely going with that setup! Simple, but a little pricey, oh well! Actually went wheeling with the S10 today, down some trails I have'nt been down in about 25 years! FUN, FUN FUN! Weekend off for a change, must take the wife for a ride out there! Still waiting on AtoZ delivery of parts!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
swyfor5

Got the grass seed today, just waiting on the guy to drop the topsoil! A couple more days and the backfill will be done! Working on organizing all my tools so I can set up my shop.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
RossRinSD

Thanks for the pics, I've studied there website pics since you posted the link. Those rear pics help a lot. I picked up 188lbs of 1/4 inch plate yesterday with the intention of building one very similer. I also used your other vendro AtoZ and ordered clevis mounts, and a couple of clevis, too.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
swyfor5

Thinking of having my fab buddy box the outer edges of the bumper up on the inside, will make it stouter! Also some bracing supports around the winch box! Also gonna drill 2 holes in the top of it for my KC off road lights! Hope the pic's help, just don't buy one from Kennesaw mtn acc!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #25
swyfor5

Got my first order in from AtoZ fab, the spindle/carrier spare tire mount kit, it is real beefy,am happy with it. Waiting on the next order, shackle mounts for the rear bumper fab up and etc! Got a boost from my Dad today, more funds from the Pontiac sales! Oh ya, I am on a roll now! Will post up some pic's of new parts asap!