The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Frenched a Jag fuel filler door.
Dang, that's NICE!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

BIG NEWS! Today I WASHED MY TRUCK! First time ever since I've owned it!

Truck is painted with DP90 and the sun is already starting to eat it. Can I paint clear over this to preserve it?
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post

Truck is painted with DP90 and the sun is already starting to eat it. Can I paint clear over this to preserve it?
I posted your question on the Southern Polyurethanes (SPI) forum. There are a bunch of pro painters on there:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...ver-dp-90.6385
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Quote:

I hate to tell you but that is not good. It has no UV protection so it's breaking down. Put clear over it and it's like spraying clear over dirt (not that bad of course but to give you an idea) so the clear will be sticking to the top layer of dirt, and you can lift it off right? Depending on how bad that has failed, it is similar to that.

Sanding down into it far and apply new primer over it then paint and clear is the very limit of what can be done. Removing it is of course the sure way to correct it, but the "bestest" way would be to sand down into it and apply new primer over it.

Sorry

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I hate to tell you but that is not good. It has no UV protection so it's breaking down. Put clear over it and it's like spraying clear over dirt (not that bad of course but to give you an idea) so the clear will be sticking to the top layer of dirt, and you can lift it off right? Depending on how bad that has failed, it is similar to that.

Sanding down into it far and apply new primer over it then paint and clear is the very limit of what can be done. Removing it is of course the sure way to correct it, but the "bestest" way would be to sand down into it and apply new primer over it.

Sorry

Brian
Brian and the SPI guys are in agreement. Sorry from me too...
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Maybe just give it a good sand and apply SPI primer over it. They ship to your house done deal.

Brian

Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Got the final primer on the doors, they are no ready to prep for paint WHOOO HOOOO! Only 95% of the truck left! I also got some bondo on the rear fenders while I was waiting for coats to flash.

I have a lot to get back up to speed with spraying though, wow. I have sprayed THOUSANDS of gallons of primer, paint and clear, thousands of gallons. But having not done it in 18 years regularly I have some catching up to do.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Got some bondo work done on the rear fenders after the shop, then came home and laid on the couch falling asleep watching the Sharks game. So I BARELY got my five minutes in but I did it.

Brian

Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

I love puttering. Once the monumental task of building a car is done it's fun to do little, inexpensive tasks that make a subtle difference without a big investment in time or money.

The long studs protruding from the back of my outside mirrors bothered me every time I walked by. Today I scrounged through my hardware drawers and located a couple of acorn nuts, then I cut off the excess stud length and installed the nuts. This gives a much more finished appearance.

Ha ha, forgive the bug guts splattered on the mirror - that's from driving it!
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-16-2019 at 09:44 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
I love puttering. Once the monumental task of building a car is done it's fun to do little, inexpensive tasks that make a subtle difference without a big investment in time or money.

The long studs protruding from the back of my outside mirrors bothered me every time I walked by. Today I scrounged through my hardware drawers and located a couple of acorn nuts, then I cut off the excess stud length and installed the nuts. This gives a much more finished appearance.

Ha ha, forgive the bug guts splattered on the mirror - that's from driving it!
Right on!

Brian

Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Got my five minutes in putting some more epoxy primer inside the doors. I had forgotten when I did the first priming to drill the water holes in the bottom of the skin. Being the skin was shortened when sectioning them there was no hole down there for water to get out. So before I epoxy primed it for the last time I drilled holes and I figured I would apply more inside just to be sure it was protected. So that's done.

I may get out to the garage tonight, we will see, got home late, may not.

Brian

Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #12
Black_Sheep

Not the greatest pic, but I made a 80+ mile round trip in the truck after work. I need an overdrive...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #13
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Not the greatest pic, but I made a 80+ mile round trip in the truck after work. I need an overdrive...
LOLOL, your drive looks a little different than mine today in the Rambler. I drove about 20 miles and a lot of it was in first gear!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #14
Black_Sheep

Quote:
LOLOL, your drive looks a little different than mine today in the Rambler. I drove about 20 miles and a lot of it was in first gear!

Brian
It was almost 9pm when I took the pic, during rush hour it would look a lot like your shot Brian
Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #15
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Nice! Open road!

2500 RPM at 60 mph seems perfect to me, but then again I live in a mountainous area where one doesn't want the constant up-and-down shifting that an OD automatic does on steep grades. That's why I replaced the 700R4 I initially had in my panel truck with a TH350.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-17-2019 at 04:45 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #16
MARTINSR

Ok...............................I got to working on the hood and have decided to go in a different direction. You can see from my first few photos I have marked the center of the hood up on the cowl, marked and cut a few relief vertical cuts. I then split the hood into pieces so I could work with one piece at a time. Then after working with these pieces a bit bending at the relief cut and wrestling with it, I have decided to go a whole different direction. As many people have suggested I am going to bring the top forward, and split the front out to line up that cut around the front. I will then tack it here and there, bolt the rear of the upper pieces together and then once it's tacked into place I will split the front center, cutting it along the body line where the center moulding goes as I plan on using it. I will bring the center strip together and filling the gap to the sides of the it. I will then add to the rear of the hood making it long enough. I didn't want to do all these welds out in the center of the hood but heck, I ran the seam through the middle of the roof gas welding it with zero warpage I can pull this off damn it!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #17
DransportGarage

Quote:
Ok...............................I got to working on the hood and have decided to go in a different direction. You can see from my first few photos I have marked the center of the hood up on the cowl, marked and cut a few relief vertical cuts. I then split the hood into pieces so I could work with one piece at a time. Then after working with these pieces a bit bending at the relief cut and wrestling with it, I have decided to go a whole different direction. As many people have suggested I am going to bring the top forward, and split the front out to line up that cut around the front. I will then tack it here and there, bolt the rear of the upper pieces together and then once it's tacked into place I will split the front center, cutting it along the body line where the center moulding goes as I plan on using it. I will bring the center strip together and filling the gap to the sides of the it. I will then add to the rear of the hood making it long enough. I didn't want to do all these welds out in the center of the hood but heck, I ran the seam through the middle of the roof gas welding it with zero warpage I can pull this off damn it!

Brian
This is way over my pay grade, but I think I would have preserved the back line at the cowl so I wouldn't have to deal with messing with the hinges and the crease for the center trim piece. That said, I'm not there, dealing with all of the other problems. When Foose did his Dad's '56 F-100 truck he "just" massaged the cut:

https://www.chipfoose.com/chips-56-f100/
Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #18
dsraven

you just can't leave well enough alone can you? haha.
gonna be tracking you on this one. looks like it's gonna be a geometry project.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #19
oldman3

Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #20
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim
Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...
Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #21
oldman3

Quote:
Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...
Mark, I know what you mean, the farther you drive the better you feel about your build, then you don't have to worry about "did I tighten all the bolts and nuts". You built a great truck, enjoy...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #22
idbeast

Quote:
I'm sure he has been watching from above with a grin from ear to ear!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #23
MiraclePieCo

More small improvements. I finally found one of the early '47-'48 style cast front hood emblems to replace my rusty stamped steel original. I'll probably paint the letters black eventually.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #24
idbeast

I got brake fluid to all 4 calipers, and only had 3 leaks in all the new brake line pluming, 2 of which were on the master cylinder to proportion valve lines. I used a vacuum bleeder, so tomorrow I'll have my wife step on the brakes and re-bleed everything and double check all the fittings.
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #25
MARTINSR

I was dead on the couch tonight we are talking asleep watching a Hockey game. Just didn't imagine I could get out there and get anything done. I haven't been talking my evening walks as I have for the last 5 years and just HAD TO do that. So I got up and took a little walk, on the short side, about 2 miles. I got back with a little spark, went out to the garage for my five minutes and ended up getting all four door hinges ready for primer prep. You know how they have a metal cover on these trucks, those were all bent up and I was able to repair every one of them to metal finish without any bondo and ready for primer. WHOOOO HOOOOO! I did something!

Brian