The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #276
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: My Truck

Thanks David!

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #277
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thumbs down Crap Hood

My buddy and I were just about finished with the hood and ready for primer the other day. We sanded it down and scuffed it off to find about 100 more little pinholes all over the place and then once we started spraying primer over it in order to allow it to sink into the holes parts of the front end around the parking lights began to blow out just from the air pressure. We're just about ready to take a sledgehammer to it and call it a day. $800 later and it's still a piece of crap thanks to US Body.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #278
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Exclamation Re: Crap Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
My buddy and I were just about finished with the hood and ready for primer the other day. We sanded it down and scuffed it off to find about 100 more little pinholes all over the place and then once we started spraying primer over it in order to allow it to sink into the holes parts of the front end around the parking lights began to blow out just from the air pressure. We're just about ready to take a sledgehammer to it and call it a day. $800 later and it's still a piece of crap thanks to US Body.

Guess I will have a fortune tied up in my piece of crap hood too!
Have you seen my 6" COWL HOOD Prized work from Unlimited Performance Products?? Pin holes too!
Scroll down to the bottom!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=281870&page=2

Send all Hate mail to:
http://www.up22.com/chevytruck.htm
Courtesy of 1(MAD)62Pro/Street
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #279
TwiggyTheDrummer

Yeah those things are pathetic. They need to find a different job.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #280
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Man thats really lousy, coming from a glass guy, I don't know how they can let stuff like that go out the door...

seems like alot of glass from many different companys is sub-par to say the least (I'm hoping I can change that and start to give glass a decent name- we'll see)

I hope you don't get discouraged with your project, the truck is top notch...

Also, this might be a blessing in disguise- if it blew out under spray pressure(must not have been a HVLP gun) then just think what might have happened on the highway!!!

Just a side thought- what kind of primer/putty did you use for the pin holes? There are some products that sink down into the holes alot better than others.
primers -I've been using slicksand, it sands a little smoother than featherfill, but it's a little thicker and harder to sand than the feather fill. both seem to work much better than 'traditional' 2K filler primers ime.

I've got some dolphin glaze, heard great stuff about it, but yet to use it...
and smooth prime is supposed to be the cat's ass when it comes to primers that fill pinholes well, but there's a 2-3 week cure cycle for it- just for that reason alone I've avoided it.
Too bad I'm not closer- I'd come help you fix that hood up properly.(I have a bumper I'm working on fixing up now- why do companies let crap go out the door??)

best of luck getting it right- glass hood or metal

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #281
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs down Re: My Truck

In my case, I called them to complain and send the hood back! They kept giving me the run around! I talked to like 5 different people and still got no where! They were even a couple accidental hang ups on me! That's what tore me slap up even more!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #282
TwiggyTheDrummer

Hey Mordachai, I'm not sure if it was an HVLP gun but even when we would blow the dust off after filling and sanding, more pinholes would pop up. Every time we filled the hole we would first make sure that we pried with a screw driver around it to get to a solid spot and make sure that it wouldn't fail around where we filled. The products that we were using were Slicksand as primer and the filler was I believe XL Lite.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #283
TwiggyTheDrummer

I'm going to look around Friday and see if I can find a good hood off of some of the trucks around here that have been under a shelter for a while. I'm starting to think that this thing is never going to be structurally sound and would cause more damage to the rest of the truck than anything else.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #284
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: My Truck is badass... yep I said it...

^ dang, sounds like they had absolutely no QC when your hood was made. Either that or the lay-up man and the QC guy were both high on something...

def using the right products, maybe martinsr can/will chime in. he def knows his body work very well.

but you might be best off going with some old tin, I'd hate to see some damage to you, your truck, or anyone else on the road due to much less than ideal parts.

did USbody ever get back to you with any sort of means to 'make it right'?
last I remember - they basically said it is what it is? I'm not suggesting this at all, but these are the kinds of companies that get bricks through the window and general problems. There was a pool builder here who built crappy pools for years. he'd get bricks though his big fancy store front(front glass was tilted out roughly 40 degrees so you could see the demo pool in the reflection of the glass) More than once I saw it all boarded up, wasn't until someone dumped a load of cement into that demo pool that he finally closed up shop.

what a shame, such a nice project with family involved, all held up from some crappy hood...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #285
TwiggyTheDrummer

I don't think they have a QC guy at all. That or everyone was on LSD. There is not a single solid piece on that hood. And they did not do anything about it they just said that you have to block it, prime it and cut it. Which is bull. We had to just about remold the hood and it's still nothing but a itchy pain in the arse. I can tell you though, I'm going to get atleast a little of my money back. And they're also going to become quite well-known at the Better Business Bureau though they'll probably only get on their knee's for them. And I love the concrete idea, there's a guy here who builds faulty buildings and homes which have given way to many injuries and prosecutions.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 07-15-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #286
TwiggyTheDrummer

Tomorrow my dad and I are going to go ride around to a few of the places that we know that have some of these trucks under shelters and see what we can pull off. May even just get a full truck and use it's hood. Cover the rest and store it away for when I can put a new hood on it. I would definitely prefer to just stick with the steel.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #287
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I hear ya, good luck finding FL rust free!(or at least usable...)

Old 07-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #288
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

that sucks man i hope you can find a good hood

Last edited by jgh64pkup; 07-16-2009 at 05:54 PM.
jgh64pkup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #289
fryco

ahh sh*t, I should of read this a couple weeks ago.. I have a 4" glass hood coming from up22. I'm already fight with them over some b.s. 10% charge for useing a credit card when i ordered. Well my fingers are crossed, but i have no luck. (assume the position)

Sorry about your luck with your hood Twiggy, your project rocks. Just read the whole build in one shot!!

(If you find a good steel hood, DON'T have it soda blasted, thats why i bought a glass hood. Mine was cherry, now its warped)
fryco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #290
TwiggyTheDrummer

Well fryco, I hope that it work out better for you than me. And though I've heard plenty of things about up22, I don't think it could be worse than what US body made. And I definitely won't be doing any soda blasting. Sand-blasting at most but probably just go to town with a good old DA sander and some low grit.

And on that 10% charge, they just screwed you and probably just wanted to make sure that they got every dime. I know for a fact that with a credit card there are a few more fee's that they pay, but they just want you to pay that fee plus give them the rest of your money so they can buy toilet paper to wipe off their thumbs once the leave their behind.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 07-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #291
fryco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Well fryco, I hope that it work out better for you than me. And though I've heard plenty of things about up22, I don't think it could be worse than what US body made. And I definitely won't be doing any soda blasting. Sand-blasting at most but probably just go to town with a good old DA sander and some low grit.

And on that 10% charge, they just screwed you and probably just wanted to make sure that they got every dime. I know for a fact that with a credit card there are a few more fee's that they pay, but they just want you to pay that fee plus give them the rest of your money so they can buy toilet paper to wipe off their thumbs once the leave their behind.
I'll wait and see what happens with my hood.

I know there is a process fee with credit cards. With that same logic they use i should get a 10% refund from my engine builder, because i paid the bill in cash!!! In this day and age i can't belive any company would sooner deal with personal checks than cards..

just me, i may be wrong
Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #292
TwiggyTheDrummer

I definitely agree on that thought process but these fiberglass company's are goofy.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #293
TwiggyTheDrummer

We decided to just keep the hood and we have a schedule of sanding each day or so and the priming again until we fill all of the pinholes with primer so that we know everything's filled. This entire hood become's more of a headache each day. It's pretty sad when something like this sometimes makes you wish that you would have just given up a while ago.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #294
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: My Truck

Dag gum dude! That cowl hood must be a whole lot worse than was shipped to me! You going to do any fiberglass work to it? I know I will underneath. You have any pics of that hood?

Big "B"

Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #295
TwiggyTheDrummer

We've done alot of fiberglass work to it. We basically remolded the whole thing. We had to add and take away. Fill the bad spots with resin because filler wouldn't work in those spots and all kind of crap. We have spent almost 5 months trying to make this thing into what it should have been when it left their warehouse.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #296
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs down Re: My Truck

Well after your experience I will hold off on that drag pack stepside bed that US Body has. Just rework my bed I have now. Its over priced anyway.

It seems that UP has hundreds of complaints! US Body a few.

Rip Off Report: Unlimited Products - Unlimited Fiberglass

http://www.google.com/m/search?ct=fs...hood+compaints

Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #297
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Hang in there Twiggy. I know you'll get it right when your done.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #298
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thanks Dennis!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #299
fryco

twiggy,

i got my hood yesterday, no big issues (no air at least), looks pretty good, just needs some trimming.

i have a deal for you. i don't know why, but your deal sicks in my head. just think you got hosed.

i still have my orginal hood yet (62' chev) has a couple small dents, slight warpage from the sodablaster is very fixable (if you know bodywork, i don't!) its in bare metal no rust or rot. from wyoming as of two years ago, never seen salt, its been indoors for the past 13 months

i was running into clearance problems with the air cleaner anyway, so i bought a glass hood with a scoop. (i have a tall single plane intake and spacer)

i'll give it to you, no charge, you handle the shipping. i have no idea how to crate this thing up. just thought i'd run it by you...

the only bad thing is we are a long distance apart, the shippinng may be insane. a stock hood must go 50-60lbs + plus a wooden creation to carry it, its gunna be heavy and truck freight due to size. my glass hood cost $93 to ship in cardboard from L.A.

i have no use for this part, thought i'd offer it to you. i can provide pics if your intrested.

i have no idea if this violates this sites sale(s) policy, i don't consider free of charge, a sale. i maybe wrong... sorry, if i am...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #300
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryco View Post
i got my hood yesterday, no big issues (no air at least), looks pretty good, just needs some trimming.
I think there are a few of us here, myself included, that would like to see some pics of your hood. How about starting a thread with some pics of your new hood from US Products.

Sorry for the hijack Twiggy......
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote