The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #276
JohnC

Re: Shop Truck refurb, code name Chaser

Cool!!!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #277
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Chaser is going to be one cool truck once its done

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #278
mcbassin
Still Learning

that trailer looks great! Nice progress on the truck too!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #279
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

They gotta look ugly before they can get beautiful, right? When I was young, driving a vehicle with primer on it was a badge of honor for me. Now, not so much. I meant to grab some shots of the fenders before they primed them. It was amazing to see them all feathered out and sanded down, and only one layer of paint. Usually a vehicle this old we encounter numerous layers of sealers and colors.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #280
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

are you going with stock look?

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #281
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yes, going to keep the red as the majority of the color, with a white below the molding and a white roof on the cab. Then, in big contrasting vinyl letters, it will say Pruitt's Auto Collision really big down both sides (in the red portion the letters will be white, and in the white portion the letters will be red). After the lettering gets done, no more joy rides for me in it, or hot rodding down the highways.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #282
nbpro
Account Suspended

looks like this thing is coming right along. won't be long and you'll be done, then you can start on your new project. keep us posted, and good luck

Last edited by nbpro; 10-20-2010 at 06:50 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #283
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #284
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

updates?
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #285
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Not really. I had planned a trip to Norman in it to see Joe231 with a load of parts, but ended up not taking it (thank goodness, weather was horrid) due to a transmission mount issue.
Got the transmission mount issue resolved, I hope. Been driving it on the weekends and the guys drive it some through the week, is about it. The shop got a little busy last week, my booth went down on me and I got sicker than a dog. Booth is fixed somewhat, I'm starting to feel somewhat better and we are getting caught up in the shop.
Next things to do is body work on the bedsides and doors, get my PDR guy to push the dents on the roof so we can work them faster, fill the cab seam and then yank the bed off so the new cab corners can be put on. Looking like we might not have it done by Christmas like my wife had hoped, but we'll keep on trying.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #286
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That's usually the best way to get busy in the shop; have a project of your own that you want to finish by a certain time. Truck is looking good, Randy!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #287
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I just wish I'd start feeling better, that's my biggest concern right now sadly. Got to feeling bad right after going to Norman last week (I blame Joe), went to the doctor on Wednesday last week and got a shot and a Z pack, my ears totally blocked up on me over the weekend and are just now starting to crack a little for me. Been going to work and getting home, eating dinner and going to bed pumped up on nyquil basically, for over a week now. I need to either die or get better.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #288
JohnC

Yeah my allergies really started bugging me last week, and my wife got a sinus infection. I think it has to do a lot with the weather change, and all the leaves and stuff drying out and stirring up the dust.

Hope ya get to feeling better man.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #289
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My body man, bless his loving heart, found time to get the passenger door straightened and ready for primer. I just took time this morning to yank the door lock and mirror.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #290
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Looks good Randy
Posted via Mobile Device
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #291
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ouch, over a month and we ain't done squat to her. Our goal was to have it done for the Christmas parade this year, well we failed miserably on that. I guess now we shoot for either the July 4th parade or next years Christmas parade.
Have been taking it outside every morning and letting her run for a hour or more, just to keep everything moving and warmed up. Noticed a few weeks ago a constant "ping" backfire coming from it once it warmed up. Sounded like a person was inside the exhaust pipe with a hammer. I took it out last weekend and decided to get some more highway miles on the odometer, but the backfiring got so bad I turned around after only about 10 miles. The last few miles was almost scary, kept cutting out and sputtering under mild acceleration. I could romp on it and it'd take off like a scolded dog though. My tech finally pulled it in yesterday to look at it, first thing he did was yank a plug out. The plugs... I'm not sure how it's running really, they are fouled looking and drenched in gas. I can still smell gas coming out the exhaust as well. For some reason the TBI is tossing to much gas at it, I'm not even sure where to look for help on that aspect. I hate the thought of buying more plugs, since the last set we put in were very high dollar auto lite platinum something or another, I just remember thinking "these are spark plugs? they don't like sing and dance for this price?".
With any luck my guys will finally get the break in oil out of it in the next day or so, and we'll put another set of plugs in her. Maybe I'll run it down to the dealership again and let their old tech look it over and try and figure out why it's running so rich. Maybe I need a burnt chip for it or something to slow the fuel rate down, I really have not got a clue though. I really thought when we put the stock TBI back on it that problem would be solved.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #292
JohnC

Glad to see ya back on here, but too bad the truck is giving you problems. Wish I had some words of wisdom to give you, but I don't. Maybe talk to the guys over in the tech area.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #293
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Got some fresh plugs in her last week and took her out for a spin to get some used equipment from another body shop that closed its doors. Took my dad with me, and damn did he hate riding in this thing, lol. His words were, "son, I've owned probably a 100 of these trucks, and never have I rode in one that was this painful". Guess maybe I need to invest in some new shocks, but not sure that'll help how stiff it is in the front with those HD springs.
Ran like a champ, went about 35 miles round trip, only burned a 1/2 tank of gas (8 gallons). Enough is enough, I got to researching why I have these issues. Heck I even found a couple of used 350's from 87-92 model trucks thinking it might be best to just swap it back to something totally stock. I finally stumbled on to something though.... Headers and o2 sensors on a TBI motor.
After reading about it, and going to look, and realizing I am running a single wire o2 sensor that is behind the collector, it dawned on me. Here is why the truck is running so rich and getting such terrible gas mileage, it has to be. I read and studied and showed what I learned to my body tech and I gave him reasons why we should either put the stock manifolds back on or try to wire up a 3 or 4 wire preheated o2 sensor.
I finally came to terms that I fouled up putting the headers on and keeping the flowmaster mufflers. With those loud teenager mufflers on there, I can not drive the truck home except on weekends (wakes my kid up when I leave at 6am), so maybe it's just time to put quieter mufflers on it and go stock again on the manifolds. We did read and learn how to do the o2 sensor and relay, but for what I want to try and accomplish now I don't think that is the direction we want to go.
Regardless I'd want quieter mufflers, and I don't think it'll cost me much of anything to have the stock manifolds welded in to the existing exhaust. The heated o2 sensor is not exactly cheap, so I really weighed the monetary cost of either direction to be about the same.

Anyways, we drug out the manifolds and cleaned them up, plugged the emission holes and welded them up smooth. Even took off the part where the little heat duct would hook on to connect to the air cleaner housing. They'll look just fine bolted up, if we can find the bolts now.

And some photos to show it doing more than just collecting dust like normal around my shop.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #294
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Got the headers off and the stock manifolds on and the exhaust stitched back together and the factory o2 sensor all done. We only drove it a short time, but the backfire is already there again, hoping the 50 or so miles that were put on it after the last set of plugs wasn't too much and they got ruined already. Actually I hope that is it and it's running better with just fouled plugs....

My guys got a few moments yesterday and today, started work on the left door and smoothing the cab seam. The shop is not dead, but we only took in a few cars this week so they need something for filler work for a few days. That's what ol' red is for.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #295
joe231

Cool
How is he filling the cab seam?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #296
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The easy way, with 3m Panel Bonding Adhesive. Should be able to smooth it out a little after it dries and then skim coat it with mud and be ready for primer. Of course the roof has a barrage of hail dents in it, we gotta get those fixed before we prime the roof. At least we can use the torch method on them since it has some metal to it, should be minimal filler there. My PDR guy might push some of them for me as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #297
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Loks good, Randy. That's how I shaved the seam on my '73. Works like a charm.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #298
MTCK

Awesome looking build. One suggestion for your tuning problems is to take a good look at your timing. Check the initial with the module unplugged and use a dial back light to check for full advance at higher rpm. I had a similar problem with my truck though my fuel injection is aftermarket. Timing problem was causing erroneous O2 sensor readings from backfiring which was causing a rich condition.... Also make sure you don't have any burnt spark plug wires while you're at it. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #299
JohnC

Looking good man. I hope the manifolds solve your problems. I didn't even think about the O2 sensors being an issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #300
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Really wish I would have went and put gas in the truck last weekend. It is on about 1/8 tank, the other tank is 1/2 full but we have not refurbed that tank yet and I hate to use it as more than a "**** we just ran outta gas" option. I'm almost thinking it might be at the stage now where it might get torn down for the rest of the body work, we really need the left outside handle out to finish the door and I'm thinking the headliner needs to come out for the roof repairs. I'll debate it this weekend I guess and see what plan I come up with.
The back fire is there, but we have not yanked the plugs to see if they are already fouled or not, if they are, I'll just take it down to the dealership and get their TBI wizard to look it all over and see if we have a bad sensor of some sorts or what is going on, might need timed again or something, I just know it's beyond what we are capable of here.
I'm also debating on if we'll take the doors off and jamb them and the door opening frame or not. My body man got in to the jambs more than I had wanted, so that will have to be done I think. To get the handles out it is easiest to remove the glass and everything, so getting the doors off won't be much more of a step at that point.

Did someone mention snowballing yet?