The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #276
MacQuigley

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

Thanks for that. Hadnt even had a chance to search for it.

Definitely dont need those as Ive got a shortbed on it. Now Im wondering if it was a camper once a long time ago.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #277
MacQuigley

Well thats the bulkhead pretty much cleaned up.

Still a few small stubborn bit to clear and a couple of bits I missed but mostly done. Still got the outside of the footwells to do but they are covered in tar that the blaster wont touch.

Some of the paint is really hard to shift even with the blaster. Started to clear round the window frame and could not get through this without extensive blasting

Dont mind getting a bit heavy in areas like that but I think I will go back to using a scotch bright pad in an angle grinder for large flat areas like the roof (and hood when its time comes) as I dont want to risk warping the steel.

Now Im going to post a general thread on this but does anyone following this have a cab they are scrapping?

I need to repair the driver side rear panel (see below). If anyone is braking one and would be willing to cut this part out and ship it over I will happily pay for it. Im not bad a fabrication but I dont think I can make this part.

How it is

What it should look like

Again I have to ask why?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #278
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That area was likely cut out for removal and or installation of the fuel tank. They can be a pain to get past that area.. I should have that piece I can cut for you. I will check on it tomorrow.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #279
MacQuigley

John that would be fantastic if you have it.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #280
MacQuigley

Couldn't face any sand blasting last night so I got the MIG out and started to plug the dozens of little holes in the firewall that previous owners have made over the years.

While I was at it I decided to try and do what I cold to repair that lower heater hose hole. Still needs some filling and sanding but I think I should be able to get it looking presentable.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #281
MacQuigley

I was chatting with my dad yesterday over engines. As Ive mentioned above after finding the 350 motor I got with the truck was no good he offered me his 454 as he had decided to buy a aluminium replacement for his Cobra kit car.

Anyway, the engine he bought ended up being a 509 and in the last weeks he has decided that his current 4 speed gearbox is not up to the output of this new rat motor and is looking to replace it.

Now Id been planning to use the TH400 that came with my truck to mate up with the 454 but yesterday he put another thought in my head, that being would I like to take his 4 speed manual instead.

So Ive two questions for you guy's out there who are following and supporting my build:-

1. How difficult would it be to source all the clutch parts ie peddle, master cylinder etc to convert my truck back from automatic to manual and is there anything in the make up of the bulkhead I need to check to make sure it can be converted?
2. What do you all think Manual or Automatic - whats best?

(And Captainfab, if your reading this I may need another bracket off you if I go manual!)
Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #282
Chevy Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
I was chatting with my dad yesterday over engines. As Ive mentioned above after finding the 350 motor I got with the truck was no good he offered me his 454 as he had decided to buy a aluminium replacement for his Cobra kit car.

Anyway, the engine he bought ended up being a 509 and in the last weeks he has decided that his current 4 speed gearbox is not up to the output of this new rat motor and is looking to replace it.

Now Id been planning to use the TH400 that came with my truck to mate up with the 454 but yesterday he put another thought in my head, that being would I like to take his 4 speed manual instead.

So Ive two questions for you guy's out there who are following and supporting my build:-

1. How difficult would it be to source all the clutch parts ie peddle, master cylinder etc to convert my truck back from automatic to manual and is there anything in the make up of the bulkhead I need to check to make sure it can be converted?
2. What do you all think Manual or Automatic - whats best?

(And Captainfab, if your reading this I may need another bracket off you if I go manual!)

Hi bill love my truck manual I can take some pics if it helps
Chevy Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #283
MacQuigley

Hi Pete,

I can guarantee pictures will be needed, so get your camera ready

BTW I think Ive found those handbrake parts and again thanks for the pictures of yours.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #284
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I do have one that I can cut a piece from for you. Can you give me an idea how big of a piece you need?

Quote:
John that would be fantastic if you have it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #285
MacQuigley

I'll measure it up tonight John and PM you. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #286
MacQuigley

I hate sand blasting! This morning I feel like my eyeballs have had a good rubbing with 40 grit sandpaper! Super tip when sandblasting, before taking your goggled and mask off make sure you shake off any sand that may have rested on them. You dont need to blast the stuff into your eyes it can just as easily fall in them when you dont clear your goggles first.

Anyway, other than the outside of the roof and a few small spots that I need to go over again that sthe cab all cleaned up.

And most of the dents and dings in the firewall are now mostly filled, just some finishing to do.

I think starting tonight I'll start filling all the un-necessary hols in the back panel and inside the cab in general. As little blasting as there is left to do I think I'll be giving that a miss for a couple of days. And even though Ive got sheets up segregating the garage its going to take me weeks to clean up all the sand dust!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #287
MacQuigley

Just remember this is still a work in progress!

Anyway, I got sick of waiting for the nuggets at POL to come back to me with a solution to my problems, especially the panhard arm as that's stopping me measure up for wheels so I can have a proper rolling chassis.

So tonight I dug out a half sheet of 6mm steel and started to extend the bracket that came with the kit. I was going to fabricate a new mount on the chassis but to be honest I don't want to have to start cutting and welding onto the chassis now its all painted unless I absolutely have to.

So I extended the mount that goes between the axle and trailing arm.

Earlier trial fit just to make sure it was roughly in the right place.

So tomorrow I will finish boxing it in and then make up a couple of fixing points, before I tidy it up fill and paint it.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:37 AM   #288
MacQuigley

Progress on the extension to the panhard arm mounting brackets last night.

Still a work in progress at this point

But now I can at least trial fit it.

Then after a bit of trimming (to allow the shock space to get to the lower mount) and boxing.

I probably didn't need to box it in as much but I'm fairly sure it ill hold up under pressure. Couldn't get it dressed last night as by the time Id finished welding it was nearly 10pm and I generally don't make any noise after 9pm as that's bed time for the wee lad next door.

So i'll finish it tonight, get it on and try and get the axle located so I can measure up for wheels.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #289
MacQuigley

Didn't get that much done over the weekend. I was over helping my dad build a couple of raised vegetable beds on Saturday. Definitely getting to old to be digging a garden over. Definitely time to start slabbing more ow my own garden - more space for cars

Anyway I got the modified panhard mount fitted late Thursday and set up yesterday. Thats the axle in the right place now so its time to measure up for wheels. Still cant decide what rim to go for but its a tie between the American Racing "slot mag" and the Rocket Racing booster.

So after finally getting round to replacing the 2 smoke detectors yesterday morning it was out to the garage to finish the last bit of sand blasting then get a coat of etch on the bare steel then a coat of epoxy. Clearing out all the sand was a right pain, not sure its all out yet, but at least the nice clean steel is now protected.

So now its time to fill all the wee holes and knock out the dents that the fresh primer has highlighted. After that it will be fitting the doors time, something Im not looking forward to (Oh and Ive still the roof to clean up and prime but that will be after this weekend when I can get it out he garage to get some height. At the moment my trailer is in the way but this weekend see's the last show of the season so after that I can rearrange things a bit).

Something that priming the cab yesterday highlighted is that Im going to have to have more light in the garage when it comes to the serious painting. The primer is a bit hit or miss in places that I didnt notice until I took the photo's and the flash showed them up. So some temporary lighting will be needed.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #290
Grizz1963

Continue to be impressed with your pace on this build Bill.

Despite all the curved and hard balls this truck has thrown you to date.

Brackets look good.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #291
MacQuigley

Cheers Rian.

Definitely looks better in a single coat of primer. Shame Ive already started burning and sanding loads of it back off!

The nice clean primer has shown up small holes drilled into the floor and footwells that Id previously missed so they all got plug welded tonight. And I was back to filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding the bulkhead! I hate filling, sanging........... This is the risky stage for me. this is where I can very easily get bored and give up. I dont think thats going to happen this time but I need to vary what Im doing just to be on the safe side.

One positive tonight, finally got round to cutting off the magic seat mounts (close relations to the magic chain I think).

Tomorrow I need to fill all the little holes in the rear of the cab. The ones round the window frame should be easy enough. Its the ones in the rear bulkhead/wall Im worried about. I dont want to warp it! Most are fairly small only 3 or 4mm across. A couple are a bit bigger and then there is the one that Im sure is about 45ACP size! That one will need a washer to fill it.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 AM   #292
MacQuigley

Now you see em!

Now you dont (or at least the wholes)

Ran out of gas last night before I could weld up the lower holes. Should have that sorted tonight.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 AM   #293
MacQuigley

I cant believe its a year since I brought the old truck home!

I must admit as I started to take a really good look at it that weekend I did think Id bought a complete POS and I'm a lot of ways I had. Maybe I should have held out for something better, but then they are few and far between over here and having looked about a lot before and after buying I could have done a lot worse for a lot more money.

Anyway last night I got the last of the holes in the cab filled and for the first time I actually thought "this may work"!

With all the holes welded up I put an initial skim of body filler over them and gave them a rough sanding

Even the "45" hole is gone (fine sanding still to be done. cant get the DA into the corners)

I ran out of steam at that point so the fine sanding will have to wait until tonight, though I also got the door frame repair to the same point

And a little filler on the holes inside (but it hadn't fully set by the time I called it quits last night)

Once Ive done all these wee holes it will be time to fit and fill the doors and sort out all the corners and wrinkles that are evident now Ive stripped it back. Guess I better get used to filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding.....................
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #294
65sub

That's a lot of progress for 1 year. Keep up the good work Bill
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 AM   #295
MacQuigley

Cheers Dale. Not quite at the parking brake I got from you yet but getting closer!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:38 AM   #296
MacQuigley

Didnt get much done over the weekend though I did get more done that originally planned.

My youngest and I were meant to be going to the last show of the season over the weekend with the Land Rover but the rest of our group all called off late last week so we decided to give it a miss and go shooting on Saturday instead.

So we ended up here:

Anyway that meant I got a day back and was able to get the back of the cab just about ready for priming.

Still got a few wee bits to finish. That flowable polyester Evercoat inst the easiest to use, especially on a vertical surface but it does give a great finish!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #297
MacQuigley

Smile Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

I'm a day early but my birthday present to myself turned up today :-)

Old 09-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #298
mjh1965

Very nice Bill what size are the wheels and tyres

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #299
Chevy Apache

Quote:
I'm a day early but my birthday present to myself turned up today :-)

They look cool bill making more progress
Chevy Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #300
Grizz1963

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW BILL !!!!

Lovely wheels.

Your build really is going great guns.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote