The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #3001
mechanixman

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Denee
Do you have any pictures of how the sway bar attaches to the axle itself?
Thanks

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #3002
mechanixman

Denee
Thanks

Projects:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #3003
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
Hi Dan! You ask a good question! I would think that my personal opinion of the way my truck drives compared to if someone else drove it may be totally opposite.
If you drove my truck, you may think it drives horribly, or not. Someone with a front clip from a Camaro may think my truck is unsafe for the road.

I really have nothing to compare it with in regards to old trucks as I haven't driven an old truck. However, let's review what I have:
Stock straight axle with new kingpins and tapered type tie rods, with front disc brakes. Front and rear springs are Posie 2 leaf. All bushing are new. I have the Saginaw ps steering gear, but with the steering gear itself mounted further towards the front than what the instructions said~ in hopes to reduce/eliminate bump steer. Oh, and a 6 degree caster shim recommended by Sid.

For me, my only complaint is a little more steering seems to be necessary at slower speeds (5 - 10mph), but at 60mph on the hwy is quite nice, however correction is necessary and I feel like I wouldn't want to lean down to get something off of the floorboard in fear of changing lanes, but doesn't drive nothing my '10 Mazda CX9! As for bumpsteer~ I've never experienced bumpsteer so far, or say going down a bad street, and let's say the right front wheel hits a bump or bad spot in the road? My truck doesn't dart in any direction, it takes bumps very well with no ill affect in the steering wheel.

My power steering in my opinion is just right! It's relatively easy to steer, but not ridiculously easy. Perhaps a smaller diameter steering wheel might be in order. The stock steering wheel from the doner car, a '73 impala, is kind of large in diameter(not like the original truck steering wheel though), but it's all I had at the moment and will stay there until further notice.

Overall, I'm happy with the straight axle in that I have kept something original on the truck vs. just slapping a front clip in. I wish I had lowered the truck a little more, but that could be another project way down the road.

Another note, I don't drive my truck that often, it's kind of a show truck per say. We drive it to special events, and on occasion I drive it to the parts store to get parts, but is not a daily driver. So for me, it's really just fine the way it is.

Oh, I haven't driven it yet with the newly installed front and rear sway bars!

You must evaluate what you have, what you actually want and what your intentions are of what you're going to do with your truck. Now is the time to do it, not after it's all together.

Sorry for the long answer, but I give you my opinion and the best description I can for being a non-professional.
dne'

Thanks for the descriptive answer. It's what I wanted. I too will likely not drive my truck all that much, which is why I keep vacillating between ifs and a setup like yours - an optimized straight axle setup. Also, I already have a new CPP disc brake conversion kit & a dual (manual) frame mount master cylinder kit as well. My original plan was a dropped axle before I found out about Posies SuperSliders.

I keep thinking about how so many street rodders keeper their straight axles, wishbones & even transverse springs and it makes me wonder if I wouldn't come to regret a clip job, and possibly an IFS crossmember too?

Thanks again Denee! Happy holidays to you & yours if I don't "talk" to you before then.

PS: Your truck looks GREAT! The side shot really helps me. I'd want my rear height exactly like yours. The front I might lower 1" or possibly 2", but that's just me.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #3004
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Started building my square tube chassis from scratch today. Pics hopefully tomorrow when I finish it up. C4 IFS and IRS to come soon.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #3005
abrahamseven

I painted my Engine . A 54 GMC 248. I did it yesterday and finished up this morning.

steven
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #3006
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Finally put some stain on the pressure treated wood in the bed!
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3007
Gippetto

I'm drilling out spotwelds on the driver's side cowl of my '47 GMC. I keep telling myself I should have looked longer but I bought it out from the crusher. [I] finished the passenger side. Hope the fenders fit. I am at a point where I am grinding into the lead seam to see where it starts and finishes so I can melt it out and expose the remaining spots.
I need to see what's involved to include some picture so I can get some support or pity.

There's no sense looking up a dead horse's ass, but I was parked next to a '54 Chev half ton at a show a few years ago that was for sale. Price was right and the grunt work was done. That was the one to buy but I wasn;t really looking then. I would be driving now it if I could I had some insight. Hind-sight is 20-20.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #3008
Gippetto

I'm drilling out spotwelds on the driver's side cowl of my '47 GMC. I keep telling myself I should have looked longer but I bought it out from the crusher. [I] finished the passenger side. Hope the fenders fit. I am at a point where I am grinding into the lead seam to see where it starts and finishes so I can melt it out and expose the remaining spots.
I need to see what's involved to include some picture so I can get some support or pity.

There's no sense looking up a dead horse's ass, but I was parked next to a '54 Chev half ton at a show a few years ago that was for sale. Price was right and the grunt work was done. That was the one to buy but I wasn;t really looking then. I would be driving now it if I could I had some insight. Hind-sight is 20-20.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #3009
57chevyman

I installed a recored heater core in the original deluxe heater box with a new reproduction heater valve

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #3010
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Finally put some stain on the pressure treated wood in the bed!
Looks great JJ, like everything on your truck.

You sanded the green color (or brown?) of the preservative chemical off the surface? What top coat are you putting on it, if any?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3011
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Looks great JJ, like everything on your truck.

You sanded the green color (or brown?) of the preservative chemical off the surface? What top coat are you putting on it, if any?
I did scuff them with a scotch brite pad, they have been installed for a year so they are fairly dry at this point. No top coat needed! Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #3012
Denee007

Nick, does the photo attached answer your question? if not I can take another pic of what you want specifically.
dne'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
Denee
Thanks
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #3013
nvrdone

Started the install of an Astro van 3rd row seat in my '49 -3100. Cut the mounts down 1" so it sits nice. Now I just have to figure out how to mount it the floor.
If anyone has pictures of how they installed their Astro van seat, I'd love to see them
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #3014
mr57

Took my truck out and spun around out in the snow!!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #3015
vht

Bought some rough running boards that need work, 2 new dr panels, and 2 dr glass that are for a 50 and not a 51 like I need.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #3016
1958Warrior

Painted my 10 bolt T/A rear end, tried some KBS Rust seal paint, similar to POR15 . I'm impressed with how well it coated. Turned out very nice. I also stripped and painted my drums with some high heat cast iron paint.
Had to ordered some new axle shafts mine were pitted pretty bad where the bearing rides.(waiting on parts now,4-5 days)
I would post pics but for some reason I'm STILL getting the gallery is down message???
Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #3017
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
Nick, does the photo attached answer your question? if not I can take another pic of what you want specifically.
dne'

Yeah it does. Thanks!

Projects:
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #3018
Get Down

I'm a little embarrassed to show my progress because of some of the beautiful trucks you guys have built! I'm on a very low budget and I'm trying to give my Rat Rod a little class. Keeping the outside of the truck just the way it is, but freshening up the inside. Yesterday was a warm day so I was able to get my insulation on my interior roof today I will be putting up the new headliner! I cut out insulation for the floor. Got my interior light back in but having a hell of a time trying to run the wire down the inside of the truck. Put my glove box brackets in, along with wiper motor and switch. Today I'm picking up the rest of my Burl wood treatment radio grill glove box misc pieces. I will share some pictures once I get some of it installed. But for now here is some of my slow steady budget progress.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #3019
1958Warrior

Get Down, Looks very good to me, l think your headed in the right direction.
I'm all about being on a limited budget, but there are those who'll spend $500 on a $30 fix, their trucks look great but I don't envy them when it comes time to pay the credit card bills...I'd rather spend it on Shiner beer and gas for the tank, and more Shiner beer.

Here is one of my favorite threads, "Project No Buck$ ",shows what more thinking and less spending will do.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320546
Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #3020
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Warrior View Post
I'd rather spend it on Shiner beer

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #3021
Denee007

You did a good fitment on your radiant barrier. I wish I had put another layer of it, however there's not a whole lot of room between the headliner and actual roof on my 59. When the hotter days start rolling around again, I may pull down my headliner and find out what really keeps the heat from pounding down on my head! If you have the room, now would be the time to think about the maximum amount of insulation you can put up there
dne'

ps: you're doing great!

[QUOTE=Get Down;6370042]I'm a little embarrassed to show my progress because of some of the beautiful trucks you guys have built! I'm on a very low budget and I'm trying to give my Rat Rod a little class. Keeping the outside of the truck just the way it is, but freshening up the inside. Yesterday was a warm day so I was able to get my insulation on my interior roof today I will be putting up the new headliner! I cut out insulation for the floor. Got my interior light back in but having a hell of a time trying to run the wire down the inside of the truck. Put my glove box brackets in, along with wiper motor and switch. Today I'm picking up the rest of my Burl wood treatment radio grill glove box misc pieces. I will share some pictures once I get some of it installed. But for now here is some of my slow steady budget progress.
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #3022
Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Warrior View Post
Get Down, Looks very good to me, l think your headed in the right direction.
I'm all about being on a limited budget, but there are those who'll spend $500 on a $30 fix, their trucks look great but I don't envy them when it comes time to pay the credit card bills...I'd rather spend it on Shiner beer and gas for the tank, and more Shiner beer.

Here is one of my favorite threads, "Project No Buck$ ",shows what more thinking and less spending will do.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320546

Thank you I'm doing the best I could with what I have to work with. I wish I could start from the ground up but I don't have the cabbage or a proper place to do it! My wife's car is stuck out in the cold now, due to me stealing my small 2 car garage. Thanks for the Project No Bucks that truck actually looked good to start with, but yeah amazing what people can do!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #3023
Get Down

[QUOTE=Denee007;6370977]You did a good fitment on your radiant barrier. I wish I had put another layer of it, however there's not a whole lot of room between the headliner and actual roof on my 59. When the hotter days start rolling around again, I may pull down my headliner and find out what really keeps the heat from pounding down on my head! If you have the room, now would be the time to think about the maximum amount of insulation you can put up there
dne'

ps: you're doing great!

Thank you, and I will heed your warning about the radiant barrier! I noticed yesterday that there was more room up there under the headliner than I thought. The headliner didn't go up as easy as I thought it would have. I had to do some fitment trimming on both ends. Wonder if anybody else had the same issue with a new headliner. I will continue to work on that today and think about what more I can use to fill that gap and keep my sweaty ass head cool. Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #3024
ghettoluxury

Bought a complete front clip off of a GMC for Molly, she's my 48. I will be picking it up in the morning. .

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #3025
Get Down

Stoked right now. Just got my windshield in I set it up yesterday morning putting the glass in to rubber then the SS trim in or on whatever! I then transferred it onto a board to set it on top of my hood until I got some help setting it into place! I had to wait until tonight for reinforcements to arrive, It took all of maybe 40 minutes. Nice and smooth it's amazing what a little 30W will do to make things ease into place..... sort of like a woman. Anyway one happy dude tonight. PROGRESS
Closed Thread