The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2023, 08:23 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
what did i do today? called a tow truck.
don't ya hate when this happens....'specially on your way to work...
Thanks for the reminder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
The building turned out real nice Tim. It's square again.
Pretty much . It's solid and strong. Before the tree fall it was right rotty in some places. So this was a blessing in disguise for them. Didn't cost a dime. and they'll still be getting a brick pizza over built outside and through the wall. The original chimney up through the roof from inside was built on the ceiling joists. Stovepipe ran up to that I guess. He said he wanted to do a pizza over so I suggested building outside with just the hearth inside. Got him a mason and made it all work within cost. I can't wait till Mocktoberfest . The guy's nickname is Mo and he has a big stay-over party first weekend in October... with a big emphasis on food! Well, adult beverages too. Next one, pizza!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Quote:
don't ya hate when this happens....'specially on your way to work....
Attachment 2247277
Zip ties and duct tape would have fixed it
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
don't ya hate when this happens....'specially on your way to work....
Attachment 2247277
Ball joint popped?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-11-2023, 10:31 PM   #4
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ball joint popped?
good guess, but no, just did the ball joints last yr.
cv started acting up last month, so i ordered a new one from amazon. was driving the truck real easy till the new one came in. first it was supposed to be here dec 28-30, then got an email stating jan 3 and then another email saying jan 5. was heading into work last monday and the cv broke into 2, most of it in the diff, and a couple inches in the hub.
some truth to customcamper's post, i had some electrical wire to hold up the diff side of the cv and was taking it real easy trying to get back home. second corner was it, without the hub nut and cv, the bearing just came right apart. just the caliper was holding the wheel on, and only one caliper bolt....
should have been a quick cheap job, cv was $140, but because amazon can't hit a frikkin delivery date, it turned into a fiasco.
$100.58 tow home
$95 new hub
$75 brake pads, $25 caliper slider bolts
$300 to put 3 months insurance on the crew cab so i can still get to work
plus the orig $140 for the cv...and of course when i got the truck back home, there was the new friggin' cv on my step (jan 9)......not too happy with amazon right now..
you can see the only thing holding the wheel on is the caliper
Name:  IMG_1272.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  43.8 KB

the upper caliper bolt bent, then broke. surprisingly as i was drilling it for an easy out, the drill spun the bolt out enuff to grab it with some vice grips. mind you, i just put the calipers, pads and rotors in last yr when i was doing the ball joints. prob why it came out so nice. them hub bolts on the other hand...33 yrs old....
Name:  IMG_1276.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  50.3 KB

caliper sliders, was tough getting the bent one to come out. i think the broken one was easier..
nicely chewed up $100 new brake pads...
Name:  IMG_1277.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  51.4 KB

at least my new rotor came thru with flying colors, still completely flat, no warpage at all. same with my new caliper, didn't crack or bend...got lucky i guess..
Name:  IMG_1279.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  39.5 KB

whats left of part of the hub...and my new cv sitting behind it....orig cv couldn't have lasted one more trip to work and home...or amazon's pee poor delivery schedule...smh
Name:  IMG_1278 (2).jpg
Views: 234
Size:  51.6 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Put my smoker together finally. I know it's not a wood smoker, it's a pellet smoker but it's sure a lot easier and I'm lazy.

Can't wait to try it out if it ever stops raining. Got a little break today but it's supposed to be back tomorrow.

Now I need to get a brisket and make brisket tacos. I used to go to a place that made them and they sure were good. They were very simple, just sliced brisket, BBQ sauce, and you could put their homemade salsa on them. It may sound like an odd combination but I ordered them every time I went there. And they were on a flour tortilla which I'm usually not a fan of with tacos. I'm going to try and duplicate them.

Then bring on the ribs and sausage baby! Winter can't last forever. Summer is on it's way.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:55 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Put my smoker together finally. I know it's not a wood smoker, it's a pellet smoker but it's sure a lot easier and I'm lazy.

Can't wait to try it out if it ever stops raining. Got a little break today but it's supposed to be back tomorrow.

Now I need to get a brisket and make brisket tacos. I used to go to a place that made them and they sure were good. They were very simple, just sliced brisket, BBQ sauce, and you could put their homemade salsa on them. It may sound like an odd combination but I ordered them every time I went there. And they were on a flour tortilla which I'm usually not a fan of with tacos. I'm going to try and duplicate them.

Then bring on the ribs and sausage baby! Winter can't last forever. Summer is on it's way.

They work nicely . But like with all smokers you need to time when to foil up your meat . Ummm that didn’t come out right but to much smoke isn’t good .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

But the Dodge back together all in all it wasn’t as bad as I had made it out to be in my head .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:48 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

We got a combination smoker/grill. Smoker is on the left. It's pellet-fed, too. My son loves to smoke meat, and this is much simpler than putting coals in every time he turns around.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

A truck of mine threw a timing chain once waiting on a backordered double roller set. I was babying it along but my boss borrowed the truck, came walking back. Bent valves.

Those original bolts up there can get tough. On a K3500 I had to get a junk yard steering knuckle because the four bolts on back were froze up tight. Two broken impact sockets, second one after heat, tight.

Tim

Old 01-14-2023, 07:18 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Picked up a late 70s Better-n-Bens coal/wood stove . Been sitting outside a few years but I got the doors to open in a few minutes . Need a couple of steel plates to support the fire brick . The ones in it rusted but they are removable anyway . Rest of the stove is in good shape and it was free
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:02 PM   #11
tutone

My Dad used to call it "licking your calf over". Re-installed the eng/trans in the camaro. All because whilst the 350 sat on the engine stand for the better part of 6 months, I failed to remove the pipe plug for the temp sending unit. It was SS and painted over and siezed. So.....I heated..I beeswaxed...I hoped and prayed.. But no dice. The A arm was in the way and I couldn't jack it up to clear so I pulled it. Drilled it and managed to get it out without stripping the threads. It's all good, just put me behind a few days.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:20 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
My Dad used to call it "licking your calf over". Re-installed the eng/trans in the camaro. All because whilst the 350 sat on the engine stand for the better part of 6 months, I failed to remove the pipe plug for the temp sending unit. It was SS and painted over and siezed. So.....I heated..I beeswaxed...I hoped and prayed.. But no dice. The A arm was in the way and I couldn't jack it up to clear so I pulled it. Drilled it and managed to get it out without stripping the threads. It's all good, just put me behind a few days.
Patience is the Virtue on this Stuff.

Glad you had Good luck.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:53 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Went over to the rental house to meet a gardener, who failed to show. Took along a GFCI outlet/light switch combo for one of the bathrooms. If you want that in a duplex outlet box- one outlet and one switch, it's $32. Well, the place is going to be sold (soon, I hope) and I won't have to deal with it any more. I didn't put it in, yet. It was raining cats and dogs, and I wasn't going out to the breaker box to switch the power off, nosiree. I'm no longer immortal, like I was when I was younger.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-15-2023, 07:16 AM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Went over to the rental house to meet a gardener, who failed to show. Took along a GFCI outlet/light switch combo for one of the bathrooms. If you want that in a duplex outlet box- one outlet and one switch, it's $32. Well, the place is going to be sold (soon, I hope) and I won't have to deal with it any more. I didn't put it in, yet. It was raining cats and dogs, and I wasn't going out to the breaker box to switch the power off, nosiree. I'm no longer immortal, like I was when I was younger.
I hate to tell you Steven but my rental just sold. A whopping 2 days on the market. Now I've got to get another house up here to keep the tax man from killing me. I'm going to meet a realtor tomorrow on 2 ugly houses in Lake Isabella. They're ugly but nothing some paint and new blinds cant cure. The previous owners had no taste. Just ugly colors and uglier drapes. I can fix that easy enough.

I waited for the firewood guy today. I'm out. Down to burning the wet stuff in the yard. The furniture is next if this guy doesn't show up soon. He says his truck is stuck in the mud. Funny the guy in Vegas delivered my new to me Jaguar today and this guy can't drive a mile.

I love the Jag. The crate motor sounds great but I couldn't mess with it too much because it was pouring rain and my Jeeps battery finally gave up. It wont take a charge and its blocking the garage. So the Jag is in the yard for the moment and it's still raining like crazy. Oh well, hopefully it'll get some much needed water in the lake.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Last edited by FleetsidePaul; 01-15-2023 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:28 AM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
I hate to tell you Steven but my rental just sold. A whopping 2 days on the market. Now I've got to get another house up here to keep the tax man from killing me. I'm going to meet a realtor tomorrow on 2 ugly houses in Lake Isabella. They're ugly but nothing some paint and new blinds cant cure. The previous owners had no taste. Just ugly colors and uglier drapes. I can fix that easy enough.

I waited for the firewood guy today. I'm out. Down to burning the wet stuff in the yard. The furniture is next if this guy doesn't show up soon. He says his truck is stuck in the mud. Funny the guy in Vegas delivered my new to me Jaguar today and this guy can't drive a mile.

I love the Jag. The crate motor sounds great but I couldn't mess with it too much because it was pouring rain and my Jeeps battery finally gave up. It wont take a charge and its blocking the garage. So the Jag is in the yard for the moment and it's still raining like crazy. Oh well, hopefully it'll get some much needed water in the lake.
That's real good news about the rental! I'm hoping to see that kind of response.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-14-2023, 09:55 PM   #16
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Patience is the Virtue on this Stuff.

Glad you had Good luck.
Thanks. Believe me, I had visions of stripped threads and a ruined head the whole time..
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:37 PM   #17
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Thanks. Believe me, I had visions of stripped threads and a ruined head the whole time..
know what you mean...
been dreading my hub bolts all week. last monday i got one out, the other 2 started rounding off. so i been spraying them all week and looking for anything else to do other than hub bolts. even started checking wrecking yards for a spindle (non-existent around here) figuring the stock spindle was gunna get destroyed getting them bolts out.
finally went at them today, after liberal amounts of heat with the torch, got another one out, last one was too stripped to get a socket to hold it, so after tons of heat i hammered a smaller impact socket on it and with my son's 30" breaker bar, she finally came out.
am breathing a lot easier now, once the new parts show up just a matter of bolting it all back together
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:41 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Sounds like my luck. I needed to replace the front brake hoses on my '72 K2500. In anticipation of frozen union at the hose/hardline at the frame I removed the headers to make the job >easier<. One spark plug broke, no biggie. I go to pull the plug out and it isn't budging. Soaking it, heating it, and finally only part of it came out, leaving the threads and electrode in the head. Time to pull the head. It showed coolant had been in that cylinder, so I dismantled and had magna-fluxed... cracked. The silver lining in this was I found an outrageously great deal on a better set of ready to install heads (performance and condition) that really woke the motor up.
The brake hose and line came apart easily. In fact, I had ordered in advance that section of brake line from Inline Tube that I left in the box. Original line is still fine.
Quote:
know what you mean...
been dreading my hub bolts all week. last monday i got one out, the other 2 started rounding off. so i been spraying them all week and looking for anything else to do other than hub bolts. even started checking wrecking yards for a spindle (non-existent around here) figuring the stock spindle was gunna get destroyed getting them bolts out.
finally went at them today, after liberal amounts of heat with the torch, got another one out, last one was too stripped to get a socket to hold it, so after tons of heat i hammered a smaller impact socket on it and with my son's 30" breaker bar, she finally came out.
am breathing a lot easier now, once the new parts show up just a matter of bolting it all back together
I couldn't get those bolts out of my '92 K3500 one time. Nothing worked. Broke two impact sockets after juice, heat, and prayer! Took a trip to the junk yard for another knuckle assembly

Tim

Old 01-15-2023, 10:31 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I have tried going into simple projects expecting a big ordeal so they would turn out quick and easy but even that didn't work!

Tim

Old 01-15-2023, 11:52 AM   #20
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have tried going into simple projects expecting a big ordeal so they would turn out quick and easy but even that didn't work!
Ahh. I know what you mean ,,sometimes after opening walls and floors up ,,you get a surprise that you didn.t expect ..
Old 01-16-2023, 08:54 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I got my little barn move project completed, so I've been working on filling the building back up. I moved things out in phases. I've been looking at moving things back as a trivial task for rainy days or using idle timeslots. Not a thing to "waste" a whole good day on. I'll go out in the morning with my coffee and next thing I know it's after lunchtime, and finish out the day moving. Now I realize it's days of work worthy of whatever time I invest. I'm getting there
I had to build this canopy to store things, as well as fill my screen house, and stick some things in the garage. I built the canopy to be able to dismantle and erect elsewhere later
Name:  DSCN0001.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0050.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  DSCN0215.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  45.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0211.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  DSCN0341.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  53.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Ahh. I know what you mean ,,sometimes after opening walls and floors up ,,you get a surprise that you didn.t expect ..
I don't have the same problem with houses. I go into that work figuring on handling whatever I run into. Usually can tell what's going on inside the walls by what I see outside. Opening up just shows to what extent.
With auto mechanics I expect mechanical results, as if taking something apart that had just been put together. Yeah we know how rust can affect that, but we don't know how bad till we try. I can only speak for myself, and I figure for those who do it for a living it's like me with houses. Very little throws them for a loop.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-16-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #22
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I like the Coors license plate Tim. Hard to believe that they got it past the DMV here in nanny land.

Steven, I knew that house would go fast. It's in a really good neighborhood and nobody really sells there too often. I wanted too sell it when we moved but my wife wanted to keep it so we rented it out. Never again although the price of houses did go up considerably in the time it was rented. So it's a win I think.

I did come down a little on the price. Not much. The housing market is weak right now. Prices are going down which is a drag if you're just selling. But I'm selling and buying so I'll make it up on the other end. The house I'm buying is 200K less than what they were asking a year ago. Now it's just all the escrow BS. It's supposed to close by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
I like the Coors license plate Tim. Hard to believe that they got it past the DMV here in nanny land.

Steven, I knew that house would go fast. It's in a really good neighborhood and nobody really sells there too often. I wanted too sell it when we moved but my wife wanted to keep it so we rented it out. Never again although the price of houses did go up considerably in the time it was rented. So it's a win I think.

I did come down a little on the price. Not much. The housing market is weak right now. Prices are going down which is a drag if you're just selling. But I'm selling and buying so I'll make it up on the other end. The house I'm buying is 200K less than what they were asking a year ago. Now it's just all the escrow BS. It's supposed to close by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.
I'm hoping it's priced right for sale. There are comps in the area that have come down $100k since last June, and still not sold.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-16-2023, 11:35 AM   #24
72c20customcamper

Looking great Tim
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:56 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I like the Coors license plate Tim. Hard to believe that they got it past the DMV here in nanny land
I guess the nannies hadn't taken over back in blue plate days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
X2 on the Coors plate. It would look great on my shop wall.
It's a funny story how I came up with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Looking great Tim
Thanks. There will be a lot less floor showing before I'm done. I still have the woodworking equipment to move, then the Harley. The canopy just has a few things left in the attic. I think I'll hold off dismantling it for now. Time to focus on my cellar project.

Yesterday I sold the stack of cherry slabs I had stored on the back of my '67 project. No sooner had I built it a shelter and it got a load to haul (sitting still). Feels good to get that gone. I had all my transmissions and transfer cases stashed under it, now moved back to the lean-to side of the barn. I'm going from cluttered outbuildings back to normal, a barn full of junk

Tim