The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #3076
maxdog51

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
Does ordering some parts count? I got some of the female quick release fuel line fittings for the 5.3 swap along with 30' of a 3/8" aluminum fuel line so I can plumb the LS swap.

Haven't been outside though...

-Panelrodder
Yes it counts. You can't move forward without parts sometimes.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #3077
Nordic

Picked up block from machine shop and started to put it back together.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #3078
Denee007

Better than new, right!
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #3079
Zach B

Nothing really other than look at it. I'm still in school and I figure without an education I can't get a job that pays enough to get the truck going. Sure pocket change gets me parts but nothing like the big stuff. Small stuff is all I have really ever purchased Andi have torn out parts and ripped other trucks apart but with school I probably won't do anything until spring.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #3080
Dan in Pasadena

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't moved it or started in more than a month.

I have a very slow leak in the right front tire so today I finally aired up all the tires today and I WILL start her and drive her a bit tomorrow just to get the tires round again!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #3081
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't moved it or started in more than a month.
this is blasphemy, you should be ashamed Dan.

Just kidding, hows it going Dan? are you almost ready to start the truck suspension? I am moving along a little at a time on mine.

My F.B. project page.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #3082
Dan in Pasadena

Hey Mike. I'm gonna have to find some un-spoken-for money to work on my truck. Something outside the budget. Let's see, maybe my tax return will give me enough to go for it.

How's yours going? If I go ifs I think it'll definitely be Flat Out's crossmember & Vette parts. Out back in not sure cause I'd still like a little but of towing capability. Maybe just a couple Jetskis. So we'll see. Have a GREAT Christmas if I don't see you before then.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #3083
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Hey Mike. I'm gonna have to find some un-spoken-for money to work on my truck. Something outside the budget. Let's see, maybe my tax return will give me enough to go for it.

How's yours going? If I go ifs I think it'll definitely be Flat Out's crossmember & Vette parts. Out back in not sure cause I'd still like a little but of towing capability. Maybe just a couple Jetskis. So we'll see. Have a GREAT Christmas if I don't see you before then.
Keeping the rear axle or a newer one would be great for towing something light like that. Maybe Camaro 10 or 12 bolt that can be gotten cheaply at Pomona swap meet, that way you'll still keep the same lug bolt pattern both front and rear.
Thank you & you and the family have a great Christmas also.

My F.B. project page.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #3084
vht

Put the TCI front susp on the frame. Now I got to figure out what I'm doing with the rear 4 bar deal. May just call SW race cars and buy their 4 bar street set up.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #3085
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so no one has done anything either, huh? This thread had slipped all the way to the 3rd page.

I pulled mine out today - after not starting it in at least a couple months - but like the great truck she is, she started right up! Took her out front and gave her a good washing. Touched up some damage to my ultra high dollar Rustoleum spray can paint job, lol. Waxed the bumpers, grill & emblems. Finally installed roadie bike inner tubes over the new stainless tailgate chains and took her out on an 8 mile drive to my brother-inlaw's house. Took the freeway there, surface streets coming back. Ran like a champ! Even got a few thumbs up!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 12-23-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #3086
OrrieG

Looked at my list and sold a bunch of fishing stuff on Ebay. Will order my one piece side glass next week.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #3087
G&R's57GMC

Yesterday I serviced our Scion XB and Chevy SSR even detailed the interiors.

Today I did some garage cleaning, a little work on our Airstream project and serviced the Tahoe and installed some sound deadener and added tie downs to its bed slide. Oh yah its a '98 2 door that I pulled the backseat out and replaced it with a bed slide. Makes it easier to get stuff in and out .

Oh, and the other day I played with my '56 3200.

That takes care of last week.

Dan its about time you played with you truck, I mean REALLY ! Not driving it for a month, how could you leave the poor thing to sit unwanted out in the cold for that long !
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 12-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #3088
G&R's57GMC

Boy am I one to talk, I haven't driven 4 of my cars and trucks in over 3 years. But at least they are snug in the garage all nice and cozy.

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 12-23-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #3089
Clarance J

Today I finally got my driver side door glass in. Old door glass and new vent glass. New rubber, fresh paint, new nylon rollers, recovered division bar and window track, new lock handle on vent. I hope to get the passenger side in by the end of the week. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Earl aka Clarance J
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #3090
crossfire84

I shoveled 10" of snow from the front of my garage door, then waited 7hrs for the plow truck to do the rest, I have a 1/4 mile driveway. But I did look at the truck!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3091
Dan in Pasadena

Earl,
You did exactly what I need to do.

The short drive I took reminded me how badly my glass rattles in the doors and the doors rattle in the frames. I already have all the anti rattle strips, felts, wind wing rebuild kits, etc. I haven't installed any of it cause I need to repair speaker holes cut in the driver's door and I want to paint the interior before I install all that stuff.

It seems standard that you've gotta do ten other things before you can get to that ONE thing you're trying to accomplish!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #3092
Yewhi

YOM plates finally got approved. '55 tab on the rear. Totally stoked as I've wanted these for a while.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #3093
Dan in Pasadena

Oops, double post. Sorry.

Yewhi, those look great. I THINK those are correct for my '55.2 as well(?) I'd love to have some. How/where'd you get them? Were they already restored or did you do that? Finally, spill the beans on just how big a pain it was to go through the administrative stuff?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #3094
Yewhi

Quote:
Oops, double post. Sorry.

Yewhi, those look great. I THINK those are correct for my '55.2 as well(?) I'd love to have some. How/where'd you get them? Were they already restored or did you do that? Finally, spill the beans on just how big a pain it was to go through the administrative stuff?
Gracias! I'm really happy with them. There are a handful of people selling them on fleabay and the prices seem to run a pretty wide range. I brought them from one of the sellers who guaranteed they were clear for 30 days after purchase. Probably not necessary but good for peace of mind. They were restored and came with the 1955 tab.

As far as registering them is concerned it was easy. The form is available on line. To make it easier fill it out before you go to the DMV. You will need to have a matched pair of plates. Take the both plates to the DMV with the form, the 1955 Tab and your registration. They process them there, will photocopy both plates with the tab (make sure they do this) and charge you 45.00. The request is then sent to Sacramento and in 3-4 weeks they will send you a new registration, new tags and 2 aluminum tabs to display the tags on (I chose to use a frame that has spaces to mount the tags for a cleaner look).

Overall the process was pretty benign. I went to the DMV 2 days before Thanksgiving and the tags arrived last Friday. Quick considering there was a holiday mixed in there.

Cheers!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #3095
youngrodder

Puchased all of the sheet metal and some square tube to get started on the floor of my 53 suburban. I might get out in the garage to get some metal cut tomorrow.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #3096
vht

Put a 4 bar under my 51 frame. Made a panhard bar, now all I have to do is pull everything out and finish welding. I also finished boxing the frame.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3097
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewhi View Post
Gracias! I'm really happy with them. There are a handful of people selling them on fleabay and the prices seem to run a pretty wide range. I brought them from one of the sellers who guaranteed they were clear for 30 days after purchase. Probably not necessary but good for peace of mind. They were restored and came with the 1955 tab.

As far as registering them is concerned it was easy. The form is available on line. To make it easier fill it out before you go to the DMV. You will need to have a matched pair of plates. Take the both plates to the DMV with the form, the 1955 Tab and your registration. They process them there, will photocopy both plates with the tab (make sure they do this) and charge you 45.00. The request is then sent to Sacramento and in 3-4 weeks they will send you a new registration, new tags and 2 aluminum tabs to display the tags on (I chose to use a frame that has spaces to mount the tags for a cleaner look).

Overall the process was pretty benign. I went to the DMV 2 days before Thanksgiving and the tags arrived last Friday. Quick considering there was a holiday mixed in there.

Cheers!
Thanks for the details. I'll start looking for them. Another approach I had thought of was to buy replicas of my black plates in the later-than-yours yellow plates that I actually remember seeing as a kid and have them made with the same letters/numbers as my black ones. Then put the registration stickers on them and viola! Of course IF you happen to come across a cop that knows what letter/number sequences belong on what years - you're screwed. It never happened to me and I sold the car to an exporter that sent it to The Netherlands, so no issue anymore.

I had a '76 Porsche 911 I restored a few years ago and did this; with a twist. '76 was the first year for personalized plates. I ordered new personalized plates from the DMV, then replicas in the yellow on blue of the 70's and stuck the stickers on them. I had to have the replicas mailed to a buddy's house out of state and have him bring them to me. But I never had a question raised.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #3098
Jack Guzman

I finally finished all my window trim. Had to find screws. I put the finishing touches on the box I built on the back.Trimmed it out and attached the latches to the back doors. This is going to be a work truck for a carpentry and chair making shop.I'll post pictures when I pull it out of the tent I'm using for a garage.Also I got my heater box out and apart to clean it up.---Jack
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #3099
G&R's57GMC

I walked by my '57 GMC a bunch of times.

Installed my bed slide and mounted the spare tire to it and installed 2 fire extinguishers in my Tahoe.

Reorganized the Airstream parts.

And did my laundry .

Gad this is starting to sound like a Tweet ! I'll stop now.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #3100
iowaboynca

Replaced the power window motor in our people mover ('97 GMC Savana Conv. Van). Looked at my '50 GMC again and came to the realization the hood is going to need some work
Closed Thread