The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
DransportGarage

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.
Livemeyer, I'm all ears if you do. I'm getting ready to do my sun visors. (...or maybe give me a link...)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Livemeyer

Quote:
I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.
Thanks for the reminder. I had posted on here and on Stovebolt. I got back to share results on that forum but forgot to do it on here. Now, it's done.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
that ride is fantastic!! looking forward to seeing it at a local show. By the way, who did your exhaust ?
I see now you're in Duvall. I anticipate taking Mabel to her first show September 8, the Edmonds car show. I missed taking her to Greenwood car show June 30 by thaaaat much.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
mr48chev

Lifted the back half of the extended cab donor cab off the cart to set it on my little trailer to move it around to the other side of the place until it heads into the shop.

The cat isn't in the photo but he thought it made great shade hanging there.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
evilokc

the dumbest stuff happens to the dumbest people. been driving my truck as my daily for a week. its running great and very fun to drive. pulled out of work gave it some gas and right when I hit 50mph it shut off. I coasted to a Walmart parking lot. I knew immediately it was spark. checked my fuse block. all good. opened the hood and removed the breather so I could see. everything looked good. I pushed on the plugs on the distributor to make sure they hadn't come loose and the whole distributor cap lifted. one of the 3 clips that hold it had come loose. I guess when I put the cap back on last week I didn't get one of the clips seated and it vibrated off. it was an easy fix. the interesting part is when I was working on the truck people kept coming and asking if they could help. lots of people and when I said no thanks that I had it they didn't leave. a crowd of about 15 people gathered and when the death rattle fired they all cheered. I felt like I was on one of the stupid car shows where they do a reveal. ordered the last pieces of my a/c and hop to be knee/elbow deep in a/c this weekend.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
a crowd of about 15 people gathered and when the death rattle fired they all cheered.
How fun!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
mick53

Received my OEM left rear fender today for $240 delivered and sent spindles off to my engineer in Tennessee to have them altered to except my 12.88" Wilwood 6 piston brakes. The front axle drama has been going on for nearly 2 years. It's the old "they don't make that" thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by mick53; 07-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Received my OEM left rear fender today for $240 delivered and sent spindles off to my engineer in Tennessee to have them altered to except my 12.88" Wilwood 6 piston brakes. The front axle drama has been going on for nearly 2 years. It's the old "they don't make that" thing.
That looks like one fine fender. I've spent about 20 hours apiece bringing my rear ones back from the dead. I would have paid the $240 in a heartbeat (if the wife woulda let me...).
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Livemeyer

Today, with the help of my smart son (this is a father-son project anyway) I figured out my horn relay issue which had started with me being a doofus and screwing it up in the first place.

A while back, I purchased a classic horn relay, mounted it on the firewall, ran a 12+ to the B terminal, connected the wire going to the horn to the H terminal, and ran a wire from the S terminal to a switch in the cab (no wire to the steering wheel horn button, so this is a temporary next best option) and ran a wire from chassis ground to the other side of the switch. After much consternation, I had left it wired with the two horn wires (H and S) on the same terminal, as it was the only way it would make the horn sound. I thought, I must have fried something on the relay, so I'll leave it this way for now (big clue here, folks...)

Couple days ago I got a box with some stuff from Advance Auto, one of which was a new BWD horn relay. Swapped out the two relays and... nothing. Still behaves the same way. I was so focused on this relay, until my son came out to have a look (he's 18, just graduated HS). I said, here, look, when I pull the switch I hear the relay click but no horn sound. He has his head in the cab, and he hears the click. So he goes out to the firewall and says to do it again. He says he doesn't hear the relay click outside, just in the cab.

Suddenly, the light bulb goes on! Aha! I had him look/feel around under the dash and we find that the clicking noise is coming from the fuse box. Now, keep in mind this is an entirely new wiring kit I had just recently installed. I didn't realize that tucked between the hazard flasher and the turn signal flasher was - tada! - a horn relay!

I had installed a horn relay in-line between the horn relay and the horn, without even knowing! LOL! No wonder it worked when the S wire and the H wire were on the same post! So now... the horn relay that I had installed has been removed. The 12v+ hot lead has been removed. The original horn wire lead I had cut to wire into the horn relay has been butted back together, and the horn lives.

Sometimes you gotta get a second person looking at it from a fresh perspective...
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Today, with the help of my smart son (this is a father-son project anyway) I figured out my horn relay issue which had started with me being a doofus and screwing it up in the first place.

A while back, I purchased a classic horn relay, mounted it on the firewall, ran a 12+ to the B terminal, connected the wire going to the horn to the H terminal, and ran a wire from the S terminal to a switch in the cab (no wire to the steering wheel horn button, so this is a temporary next best option) and ran a wire from chassis ground to the other side of the switch. After much consternation, I had left it wired with the two horn wires (H and S) on the same terminal, as it was the only way it would make the horn sound. I thought, I must have fried something on the relay, so I'll leave it this way for now (big clue here, folks...)

Couple days ago I got a box with some stuff from Advance Auto, one of which was a new BWD horn relay. Swapped out the two relays and... nothing. Still behaves the same way. I was so focused on this relay, until my son came out to have a look (he's 18, just graduated HS). I said, here, look, when I pull the switch I hear the relay click but no horn sound. He has his head in the cab, and he hears the click. So he goes out to the firewall and says to do it again. He says he doesn't hear the relay click outside, just in the cab.

Suddenly, the light bulb goes on! Aha! I had him look/feel around under the dash and we find that the clicking noise is coming from the fuse box. Now, keep in mind this is an entirely new wiring kit I had just recently installed. I didn't realize that tucked between the hazard flasher and the turn signal flasher was - tada! - a horn relay!

I had installed a horn relay in-line between the horn relay and the horn, without even knowing! LOL! No wonder it worked when the S wire and the H wire were on the same post! So now... the horn relay that I had installed has been removed. The 12v+ hot lead has been removed. The original horn wire lead I had cut to wire into the horn relay has been butted back together, and the horn lives.

Sometimes you gotta get a second person looking at it from a fresh perspective...
That's hilarious!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Livemeyer

Quote:
That's hilarious!
Only disappointing part is Advance Auto says they don't allow returns on electronic items. So now I have two horn relays that I don't need.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #12
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
That looks like one fine fender. I've spent about 20 hours apiece bringing my rear ones back from the dead. I would have paid the $240 in a heartbeat (if the wife woulda let me...).
It was on ebay auction for $150 or buy it now for $200. I first bid the $150 and 10 minutes went back and bought it. I would have been mad at myself if I lost it for $50. I have no wife.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
evilokc

got the a/c condenser kit in yesterday. I pulled the passenger fender off to give myself some easier access. looking the directions I may have to do a tiny bit of fabrication. my core support is a "custom" fabricated piece of crap. so the hard lines wont route like vintage air says. should be fine though. im also going to cover a couple pf holes in the firewall and tidy up while I have easy access.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
DransportGarage

After much body work and humidity, got some lower humidity (below 70%) this morning and shot round 2 of the 2K urethane primer on the rear fenders, bed sides and bed front. Sand again tomorrow with 180 grit!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Marty68

I got the missing parts for the radiator cover.. I sanded them and painted them this morning... not the best product or even acceptable. But 100% better ... for now. 7

I also built a "tap tower" for my tailgating cooler..
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #16
DransportGarage

Got one rear fender ready for final primer. Slow progress...
Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #17
DransportGarage

Got the other fender ready for final primer, and started one of the bed sides. It was 91 degrees, I'm sick of sanding, and I quit early. Another hundred hours or so and I'll be completely in paint!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #18
MiraclePieCo

Still working on adding the back and side skirts to my Chevelle bucket seats. It pretty much entails removing all the upholstery that I paid to have installed. So far I've spent two days on it. I'm learning more about upholstering than I ever wanted to know. I'll won't bore you with pics yet, but I'll post some when I'm done.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #19
MiraclePieCo

Got one seat done. My seats are '67 but I used '66 back covers to eliminate the push button back locks. The back cover mounting systems weren't compatible so I substituted upholstered screw caps to hold them on. Definitely not show quality but good enough for the level of build level that I'm going for in this truck.

Next task, door panels.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #20
evilokc

today I spent about 3 hours ( probably closer to 4) installing the A/C condenser and dryer. its really not a difficult job but my core support isn't stock. so nothing meant for stock fits. I was able to use the passenger side vintage air bracket. I didn't care about the driver side. I wanted the passenger side because it has a built in bracket for the dryer and all the hard lines are routed assuming the dryer is there. it worked out well. tomorrow i will start hacking away at the renaming items on the list

1)paint compressor mount
2) mount compressor
3) run hoses
4)review and double check evaporator installation
5) 100 other things i cant think of at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #21
idbeast

I now have front lights, and the English Bulldogs approval!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #22
MARTINSR

Good to see you guys getting something done, can't wait to get back to that!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
evilokc

back at the a/c today. a lot of what I got done isn't photo worthy but its important. I got the compressor mocked. I need to make a spacer but other than that the compressor is ready to polish and the bracket ready for paint. I have the evaporator ready to go back in. I got the rest of the hard lines mocked. I had to do a little trimming on the vintage air bracket and I clearanced the core support. started working on the hoses. this is where It gets complicated. i bought the evaporator kit thinking i could use the a/c hoses i had. the two main hoses will work but im going to either have to buy 2 hoses from vintage air or have new ends put on my hoses. will see which is cheaper. i ordered my inner firewall cover. it should be here this week. i need to install that before i mount the evaporator. so this week im going to be sealing up the firewall and trying to source the 2 hoses. fun day.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #24
nvrdone

so how does it feel to sit in new seats? hows the position relative to the steering wheel, brakes, shifter etc?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #25
evilokc

a/c continued. i got the missing hose made today. took me about 3 hours. i had to go to two different hose makers before to get it made and then realized i was missing a piece of information that might cause issue. had to drive 20 miles home look at truck drive 20 miles back. got it home and it was a tiny bit long but works. once i had that i mocked the entire system. its gonna work well. took the interior parts and hoses back out and started working on the giant hole in my firewall. to review. my firewall isn't stock it was hacked up and "smoothed" by a professional shop. so the vintage air system didn't fit. i had to hack the firewall up to get it in. the hole was large and im making the patch in two pieces. the main piece is done. i will tac it in tomorrow and then make the second smaller patch. i also have 10 other small holes to fill. i only have a tig set up which isn't optimal for body work but its what i have so i will make it work.
Attached Images