The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #3126
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibob View Post
Sold it!
Malibob sold his ride

Well what's next, will we be hearing from you or are you headed in a different direction?
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #3127
Dble Hump

I did and have done nothing to my truck for 2 months!!!!!
Instead I bought a boat that is taking all my time. Unfortunately, my time has not been on the water.
Very long list of to-do's to the boat.
I have to look and pass by my truck everyday...Brings a tear to my eye seeing her collecting dust.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #3128
pdxhall

Loaded up the 3M stripping disk and started cleaning away on the rear of the frame. Raining out AGAIN today some I'm happy to be back in the garage. Just knocking off the top layers of loose rust and whatever before starting tear down of the suspension.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #3129
towersddg9

AC vents are in
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #3130
towersddg9

new rockers
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #3131
shortbed70

Did more sanding on my bed. Waiting on my mud to come in to do more.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #3132
Malibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Malibob sold his ride

Well what's next, will we be hearing from you or are you headed in a different direction?

Well, I am currently working on this

DSC_2132(3) by Malibob, on Flickr
Hope to find another truck soon though. I will definately keep you posted.

Flickr
Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #3133
kieth

Been a little while since I posted but here goes,
1. got dash panel back from chrome.....waiting on tach to finish

2. installed fuse panel, started wiring,

3. installed front inner fenders, battery box, resovoir, vacuum brake booster, master cyclinder

4. finished power steering install

5. painted hood, doors, grill surround,

take a look here: http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...486754_SRVwB69

Last edited by kieth; 06-03-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: changed the starting point of pictures.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #3134
Capt280

mocking up dash steering wheel and shifter
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #3135
kieth

My Sun Tach made it in, here is the first shot of the finished dash, I do not know if I should paint the flat black in or just leave it shiny.....??

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...049326_WG7WWFv
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #3136
MOJO1963GMC

Priming a grill and prepping for paint on my '63 GMC
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #3137
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

sadly, Not a dern thing.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #3138
jbgroby

[QUOTE=kieth;4715614]My Sun Tach made it in, here is the first shot of the finished dash, I do not know if I should paint the flat black in or just leave it shiny.....??

Dang, that Bat-o-meter sure looks good. Don't see many of them anymore.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #3139
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I bought a gallon of red-oxide and a gallon of black primer. The fauxtina paint job begins soon.
My amateur rendering...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
My Sun Tach made it in, here is the first shot of the finished dash, I do not know if I should paint the flat black in or just leave it shiny.....??
IMO it looks vintage old school hot rod being shiny. However if you don't paint it I am betting you will hate it when the sun is shinning, the glare will be terrible!

Lovin' the way those gauges look. You did a fine job Kieth!

Does the Bat-o-meter work?
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #3140
63sbssbbw
UCA63

That's awesome Kieth !!
I'd keep it shiny
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #3141
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersddg9 View Post
AC vents are in
towersddg9, those a/c vents look really, really, really good. Have only seen a similar approach 1 other time and thought it was a great idea - yours looks even better, I think the outer vents look great (and I have seen that approach on one other vehicle, looked great) but your center ones are unique - have a factory look but they are different from factory of course - looks awesome. Nice job!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #3142
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...049326_WG7WWFv
Looks real nice Kieth. Since you asked(!) I'd paint the rough texture center part semi-gloss black - leave the outer ring and rings around the gauges chrome of course - and that will give it a nice look I think. I think that would really set off the gauges and make a more completed look. Agree with previous comment that the sun could be an issue with the full chrome part - but that's not the main reason I'd paint it, I just think it would look better. The chrome DOES look great - don't get me wrong, and that is one approach. But when I lean in the window and check it out at a car show or something like that - those nice gauges and all the work you've clearly put into it seem like they are incomplete if the whole thing is chrome and you stopped there. My 2 cents only, and that's only worth a penny! Looks reall nice either way - nice job!

Edit - A couple additional options -
1. Make an engine turned insert to go over the exact same area that i mentioned painting above
2. Make an insert out of the wild 60's lookin' fender stratocaster guitar pick guard material - several color and/or design options to choos from on that - that would be a very cust look, but would depend on what you were doing with the rest of the truck for it to look right in there - but it's a possibility

Last edited by jocko; 06-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #3143
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I bought a gallon of red-oxide and a gallon of black primer. The fauxtina paint job begins soon.
My amateur rendering...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMO it looks vintage old school hot rod being shiny. However if you don't paint it I am betting you will hate it when the sun is shinning, the glare will be terrible!

Lovin' the way those gauges look. You did a fine job Kieth!

Thanks for all the comments, yes the Batometer is new old stock fresh out of the box, it should work, I just had the tach redone by Williams in Arkansas. I really appreciate all the comments and I did put it up here for opinions. When I go back and look at the stock pictures of the dash there is a small flat strip all the way inside the perimeter of the flat panel that is not grainy, that was originally black on this dash, and the inside of the round bezels close to the gauge were also flat black. Believe it or not the grainy flat part was silver--chrome so I may try doing the small details first in flat black and see how it goes, I could also make a template to drop onto the grainy surface to see how it would look painted flat black. Thanks again for all the input. Kieth

Does the Bat-o-meter work?

Yes it does
Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #3144
kieth

jocko thanks for the input, I will try making a template but the whole theme of my truck is to be stock, but just a little better than stock so it is very drivable, comfortable, and when people look at it they will say man did they really look that good back in the day. Of Course they didn't but I want to do is subtly not in your face. I will try the overlay deal but only in black to get an idea of what it will look like. Thanks, again Kieth
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #3145
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

I wish I had an extra dash insert. I am afraid to do anything to my original gauges.
You guys are killing me with all these cool gauge ideas..
Wonder what happened to my imagination? Mabe I lost it in the 70's... LOL

Your gauges rock Keith

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 06-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #3146
tonythezeek

made some transmission mounts for my 62. I'm still running the stock transmission but upgraded to a dropmember. at some point (waaaaaaaay down the road), will put in a newer transmission and use the transmission mount that came with the dropmember kit.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #3147
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Added a little more yellow today..

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #3148
jbgroby

Fought like hell to get the front windshield in with no luck. I got the gasket in the correct way, took a bit but got in on. Seems to need to streach a bit. So after we had problems gettign the glass in, we cleaned up and reset the rubber in place had to tape up a corner to let her set overnight and hope the rubber gets used to the shape.

But even with a set of extra hand we fought and fought. Because of the curved glass we tried to put the corners in and work toward the center on the bottom, a touch of vasilene in the groove. Tommarrow we will try setting the bottom of the glass in the center bottom groove and work outward. We are having a hard problem being able to push the glass down into the channel

Anybody got any tips. I have the rope/string and was unsure if you use that all the way around the glass or just the top.

I'm about ready to pay a guy to set it, but everybody says it supposed to be easy.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #3149
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Fought like hell to get the front windshield in with no luck. I got the gasket in the correct way, took a bit but got in on. Seems to need to streach a bit. So after we had problems gettign the glass in, we cleaned up and reset the rubber in place had to tape up a corner to let her set overnight and hope the rubber gets used to the shape.

But even with a set of extra hand we fought and fought. Because of the curved glass we tried to put the corners in and work toward the center on the bottom, a touch of vasilene in the groove. Tommarrow we will try setting the bottom of the glass in the center bottom groove and work outward. We are having a hard problem being able to push the glass down into the channel

Anybody got any tips. I have the rope/string and was unsure if you use that all the way around the glass or just the top. I've never heard anyone suggest doing a 60-63 is easy. Even the installers I've talked to complain about the difficulty with these models.

I'm about ready to pay a guy to set it, but everybody says it supposed to be easy.
It is easy, if you have a 64-66. I've probably installed a dozen windshields since the 1960's, and the only one I could not achieve was my 1960 GMC. If I started with the bottom, the roof lip interfered with the top of the glass and I couldn't get it to lay back to reach the cavity. I next tried resting the glass against the entire perimeter, but couldn't get it close enough to start any of the gasket over the pinch weld. It took 3 guys to do mine. Unfortunately I was at work that day so I didn't get to see how they ultimately got it finished.

I've never heard anyone suggest installing a 60-63 windshield is easy. The installers I've spoken to universally complained about how miserable these are to deal with.

Last edited by markeb01; 06-04-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #3150
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post

Anybody got any tips. I have the rope/string and was unsure if you use that all the way around the glass or just the top.

Get that Vaseline off that gasket ASAP.
Teflon or silicon based grease should be the only lube (if any at all) that touches rubber.
Petroleum based greases such as Vaseline will attack and break down rubber.
Just an FYI.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Closed Thread