The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
dagnabbitt

Re: Nudder Music Thread: 67-72 Music

The Hip were from Kingston, Ontario, where the penitentiary in "38 Years Old" is located.

To Canadians they were kind of like our Bruce Springsteen or our U2: except to the factor of ten. As a cultural or national symbol, that is.

When Gord Downie (the lead singer) was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer the band embarked on a national farewell tour that was capped by a live global broadcast by the CBC that was attended by the Prime Minister and virtually every culturally significant Canadian. There were something like six encores, all of which pre-empted scheduled programming (even hockey games!). Absolutely amazing band to see live.

They are not for everyone - otherwise they'd have been commercially successful in the US - but it is pretty nice to see people on this forum appreciated them, thanks Special K.

Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Nautical Disaster
Little Bones
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
The Hip were from Kingston, Ontario, where the penitentiary in "38 Years Old" is located.

To Canadians they were kind of like our Bruce Springsteen or our U2: except to the factor of ten. As a cultural or national symbol, that is.

When Gord Downie (the lead singer) was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer the band embarked on a national farewell tour that was capped by a live global broadcast by the CBC that was attended by the Prime Minister and virtually every culturally significant Canadian. There were something like six encores, all of which pre-empted scheduled programming (even hockey games!). Absolutely amazing band to see live.

They are not for everyone - otherwise they'd have been commercially successful in the US - but it is pretty nice to see people on this forum appreciated them, thanks Special K.
Another great from Canada, also gone from us, unfortunately

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Thank you, Dagnabbit for that great information. I'm very greatful to learn these things about the band. I had no idea why they did not continue. It's true they didn't have the commercial success they certainly deserved. That never mattered to me, and I've always kept my ears and mind open for good music through various sources to grab out what strikes my inner strings. Don't give a rat's arse about what's popular. Certainly means nothing about what is best. So sad to hear of this fellow's sad demise. Thanks again

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-04-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don't know what led me to think of them, but today I came home wanting some Sea Level. Short lived band, great jazz/rock fusion. Chuck Level, the keyboard player from Allman Brothers and Johnny Jamu Johnson one of the drummers are a big part of the band, 1977. If you click on the title up top, it is the entire album

Tim

Old 01-08-2022, 01:53 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Really great cover, the solo is fantastic.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:35 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

At the risk of giving my name away, I don't care

My dad was a band leader and that back in the day, big swing bands and strings too. Well when I knew him, he was twice my mom's age, he had a small, maybe 10-12 guys who would play here and there, but mostly at the Holiday Hotel in Reno, which is the name of the album these pieces come from.

This is the 60s right, mercy of less recording power, so my mom told me there were about 18-20 violins playing for his last two albums. Anyway, if you can suffer through the first melody you may find the next two pieces pleasant. They're short stints and run together. The guys would enter a large dining room and spread out over the room. They were champs and played together anyway, they did that 5 nights a week for many years. They wore tuxedos, dad in white the others in black or vise versa.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by special-K; 01-09-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

That's some fine melody. Takes me back to better times when people were happy just relaxing. Suffer through the first one? You should be more proud, I was able to suffer through them all < That means I'm totally kidding . Well Tony G, it's nice to meet you. My name is Tim Hicks. I'm at greater risk because I'll probably forget your last name in a minute

That Pink Floyd cover is a very good one. I like it better than the original w/o the heavy synthesized keyboards.

I remembered and went to listen to Mathew Sweet yesterday. Man, he made a lot of music back then ('90s)

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-09-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks man, somehow I think we're brothers or something we like a lot of the same stuff. Truth be told while I'm a lot like my dad less he liked the attention. But especially the things I like and do have nothing in common with the rest of the family, full extension. They're just not a mechanical bunch, I like camping, same my kids of course, and doing my own stuff where I can. Nobody likes vintage beyond liking them, though I suppose one guy owned a special car, full extension, only because he could afford it.

Except my dad played the drums enough to keep him honest, he played some in that album, I never saw him play though. He had a set at home, but nobody played it, too noisy maybe They threw me on strings & piano, but I was a bum then too, only wanted to play what I wanted instead of practice. My older brother of course excelled, he was real good on the drums too. I'm better but he hasn't picked up an instrument in 40 years, the opposite me on the drums. I'm just the slow one

That album is maybe my favorite of four, couple pieces are my all-time favorites, but I'm bias as heck, I saw them perform so often. Back in his day he wrote a few singles and movie scores.

Here's the flipside of one single he wrote, he didn't write the "B" side. The A side was supposed to win, the producers threw the "B" side on last minute, some jockey flipped it over and next thing you know the "B" side is a hit. Personally I don't like the vocals on the "A" side, but the swing without it is real good. It wasn't his band.

While the B" side isn't one, he wrote a few tunes for the DeCastro Sisters, they often played at the same venues. For the most part he led house bands., so to speak, and the occasional need for shows with "ask holes like Frank Sinatra". Ha!......He liked most people, Frank wasn't one.

May as well show the A side too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1o57qfBV54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSETR2L4jw

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-09-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Jeff Healy's music is underrated somehow, that first tune is real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWX31kHc104
Old 01-16-2022, 05:01 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Pretty good pickin' if you ask me. I think he wrote that first song.

Today I put on The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet, an all time great album front to back. One of those that I love as much now as I did then. After that, it was YouTube, came John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers, the first album. That has to be about the most influential album for me in my whole life. I was just a kid when it came out. My family was very musical and in a varied way. My oldest sister (4 years older) was a teenager and she dated musicians. I got turned on to this album and it showed me there is fantastic music out there outside the mainstream. Music made with a passion, not dollar bills in mind. This was the first I ever heard Eric Clapton, well any of them. John McVie, later Fleetwood Mac bassist led me to that group in it's early years. Ansley Dunbar was a fantastic drummer and that was when I was first starting to play. Then, of course, John Mayall. I had every album of his and he could put together the best musicians ever. I must have seen him in concert at least ten times.

Here is that album. I hope you can listen to it all

Tim

Old 01-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Pretty good pickin' if you ask me. I think he wrote that first song.

Today I put on The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet, an all time great album front to back. One of those that I love as much now as I did then. After that, it was YouTube, came John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers, the first album. That has to be about the most influential album for me in my whole life. I was just a kid when it came out. My family was very musical and in a varied way. My oldest sister (4 years older) was a teenager and she dated musicians. I got turned on to this album and it showed me there is fantastic music out there outside the mainstream. Music made with a passion, not dollar bills in mind. This was the first I ever heard Eric Clapton, well any of them. John McVie, later Fleetwood Mac bassist led me to that group in it's early years. Ansley Dunbar was a fantastic drummer and that was when I was first starting to play. Then, of course, John Mayall. I had every album of his and he could put together the best musicians ever. I must have seen him in concert at least ten times.

Here is that album. I hope you can listen to it all
J?o?h?n? ?M?a?y?a?l?l? ?B?l?u?e?s?.?.?.?.? ?E?r?i?c? ?C?l?a?p?t?on 1966 Full Album (Deluxe Edition) - YouTube
That first tune is a lot like Cream's born under a bad sign, thought it was at first. Never heard of Ansley Dunbar, yeah he was great, he played with top notch guys.

Some great Jazz in the mix, that sax is first rate. GREAT harmonica.

They remind me of The Animals a bit.

WOW!, what's that tune called at 21:00? That's the (**^)^()^. I can't find it under "shotgun at my back."

I only have two Mayall tunes, going to be a lot more.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:28 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Parchman Farm. A Fast one. Dunbar is knockin' on some skins there, ey?

Are you familiar with Mayall's "Back To The Roots" album? A double album chock full of gathered talent. A true classic. Keef Hartley, another great drummer. Check out "Groupie Girl" @ 15:45 for some hot sax

Tim

Old 01-17-2022, 11:47 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Parchman Farm. A Fast one. Dunbar is knockin' on some skins there, ey?

Are you familiar with Mayall's "Back To The Roots" album? A double album chock full of gathered talent. A true classic. Keef Hartley, another great drummer. Check out "Groupie Girl" @ 15:45 for some hot sax
Yeah it's real snappy. Thanks.

Groupie Girl is one tune I already have. You're not kidding about the sax, was playing it, doing something else and, ah, what's that........

Not so familiar with John Mayall. I'll check out Back to the Roots too.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

On that album, for another great flute, then sax... well John's organ and all the rest song, check out My Children. Mark Almond does the sax and flute on the album.

since this seems to have become a conversation between us two, , I have a song I liked and grew to love that is not of my typical tastes. But I am open minded. The music you father's band comes to mind, now that I've heard some. But the song is Nelson Riddle's theme song for the Route 66 TV show. I'm not an easy listening fan, per say, but between this show being my favorite as a child, I guess first because of the Vette, then the freedom seeking drifter theme, later the philosophical aspect, and now the nostalgia. And the song is just perfect. That piano is just great. So smooooth yet peppy.

My other favorite was 77 Sunset Strip because of Kookie's hot rod T-Bucket. The song? Eh, it's alright. It sure was a fun one for us kids. I think I remember saying "Seventy Seven Sunset Strip, then slapping a buddy or a sister twice and vice versa. Or before a well controlled double burp or fart

They finally play the song at about 2:00

Then there was the theme song to Hawaiian Eye. Surfing!! Me and my sisters would always get a kick out of doing the Hawaiian eyE!

A good club song from the era

Tim

Old 01-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You watched some really old shows, I've heard of Route 66, never watched it. Big orchestra playing that theme.

The gal singing Female Pop Performance is a DOLL. The scene reminds me of one I JUST found of my dad the other day in fact, first time I’ve ever seen him perform with one of the old orchestras, so, very cool personally, triggers an emotion, I've watched it too many times. He’s “Carlos”? in The Big Wheel with Mickey Rooney. The music starts at 33:45, I don’t believe he wrote the pieces, but that’s his orchestra. He’s holding the violin in the background of an earlier moment in the scene, but he’s clearly playing the maracas on the left after "can of Buckshot Carlos”. The scene flashes back to them as the party goes into a drunk behind faded martinis & Champaign, which is just a little ironic☺ I’ve seen him play & dance like that before, but had forgotten all about it.

Luck had it YOUTUBE has the entire movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgLZN_88I8&t=2258s

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-18-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Just a song I love and relate to

Tim

Old 01-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

A taste of Duane Allman. The good die young

Tim

Old 01-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #18
3757chevy

Always ONE of my favorites.
MIKE

Last edited by 3757chevy; 02-20-2022 at 01:42 AM.
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:23 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for sharing that. So fine. Just him and his guitar.

Cee Cee James reminds me of Janis Joplin. She's her own artist, not a copy. But certainly carries out what Janis started

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-29-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

While I'm on the female track, Beth Hart. I may have already put this song or her up already. But if I don't remember then it's been long enough!

Dayum! Talk about a heart felt song/performance

Tim

Old 02-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

My brother-in-law Paul Bell getting in some hot licks on his guitar. Mark Wenner ain't too shabby on that harmonica either

Tim

Old 03-09-2022, 12:22 AM   #22
3757chevy

Been listening to this song lately.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #23
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
Joe Bonamassa - Drive (Official Video) - YouTube Been listening to this song lately.
After seeing both Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart posted separately had to post some of when they toured together.

https://youtu.be/UEHwO_UEp7A

https://youtu.be/1Vtt--3j33g

And this one with some vintage Chevy stuff. Just to keep things on truck.

https://youtu.be/qiRiPtg9EFk
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:19 PM   #24
HO455
Post Whore

The family went to the drive-in and saw Kelly's Heros and this song has been stuck in my head for 50 some years.

https://youtu.be/radsTxo06oM

Last edited by HO455; 01-08-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #25
HO455
Post Whore

Here's some from Loretta. One of the giants of the music world. RIP you're missed. She passed October 4 2022 at the age of 90.

https://youtu.be/iFq6eZBS1iM

https://youtu.be/8_wwP8UZR1o

https://youtu.be/skacPVsLleU

https://youtu.be/OEQmbKw_Qqw

And her Grammy winning album with Jack White from 2005.

https://youtu.be/LVCgFNXxgrE

https://youtu.be/dHyHXTyIJUQ

https://youtu.be/GFUwSVTFq5k

I know this is a lot but with 46 albums there's a lot to hear. Not to mention the Loretta Lynn ranch and how her and her husband paved the way for many amateur motocross riders to become pros since 1982.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lore...r_Championship
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377