The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #3251
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Hey Alan we could swap beds because mine is on the lower side for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Maybe the difference in the height of the bed is the bed wood?
Thanks for the suggestion Bill. The wood spacers I have in there right now are 3/4" oak hardwood floor. That's the same thickness of the replacememnt floor, right?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
It works great because the shop is fully insulated. An extra $2,200.00, but really worth it. And yes I'm bragging
I have the same problem you have with lining up, but I yet to make cab and bed mounts.
At your alignment problems.

They offered to get us a swamp cooler at work, but thought it wouldn't be a good idea around bare metal and filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Your cab/bed alignment looks off by a good 1/2" or more. Are you sure that the bed cross members are in the right locations? If you shim the cab won't that effect the core support/fender alignment too? I'm just guessing on the bed, from the pictures and what you did, I would think it should be off the other direction if any at all.

I know you will figure it out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Karl, you are right about affecting other things. I took some pics posted below of all the mounting areas. I'm sure it's something simple that I over looked, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966chevytrucks View Post
Just a question Is the back of the bed sitting right it kinda looks like bed to cab gap is angled?
I agree with you. It looks like the bed is down in the rear or up in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Kinda what I was thinking too.

Here are some pics of all the bed and cab mounts. I got the cab bushings from a guy on ebay that said he didn't like them. The other thing I thought about is the cab bolts are not tight. Do y'all think the bushings will compress that much? They are poly bushings and I don't think they will. One the bed I installed the 1/4" rubber blocks that are repops form some supplier.

The two top cab bushings look differrent. I thought they should be the same. I just noticed that while reviewing the pics. I don't know if there is a thickness difference yet.

Radiator support

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #3252
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Swamp coolers do not work in humidity. Air conditioning dries the air, swamp coolers add moister to the air. They work great in a dry climate like here in the high desert.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #3253
CVA59

Alan, Is that a spacer i see between the cross sill and the frame pedestals? If so, that is your problem. Take it out, the cross sills sit down flat on the pedestals.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 07-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #3254
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
Alan, Is that a spacer i see between the cross sill and the frame pedestals? If so, that is your problem. Take it out, the cross sills sit down flat on the pedestals.

It's a 1/4" rubber shim. I put it in there because they are sold to replace the old ones. I talked to 198Plus and he said he runs a thin piece of rubber. It will definately help by it not being there. The next time I go out to the shop I will remove them.

Here are the rubber blocks that I am referring to. By the discription it says "bed wood mounting pads." Does that mean they go between the wood and the crossmembers? That still doesn't make sense.

Pic Courtesy of truckandcarshop
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #3255
CVA59

That is interesting Alan. I have never seen any such thing on any of these trucks originally. I would leave them out and see how the bed sits. A 1/4 inch there might make a big difference on the exterior body lines. My 61, 64, & 66 beds did not have these when i torn it down from their original condition. If i used anything at all i would not use anything thicker than a bicycle tube. There is really no need for it anyway. Once the bed is pulled down tight it should not be moving on the pedestal. Let me know if taking them out helps.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #3256
Vernski

When I disassembled my bed there were no pads present and I was wondering why Mar-K had included them. Now I know I'm not the only one that didn't have the rubber spacers between the cross sills....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #3257
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
That is interesting Alan. I have never seen any such thing on any of these trucks originally. I would leave them out and see how the bed sits. A 1/4 inch there might make a big difference on the exterior body lines. My 61, 64, & 66 beds did not have these when i torn it down from their original condition. If i used anything at all i would not use anything thicker than a bicycle tube. There is really no need for it anyway. Once the bed is pulled down tight it should not be moving on the pedestal. Let me know if taking them out helps.
Thanks for the help and info. I removed the rubber pads tonight pics below. I still don't know where they are supposed to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
When I disassembled my bed there were no pads present and I was wondering why Mar-K had included them. Now I know I'm not the only one that didn't have the rubber spacers between the cross sills....Vernski
Thanks Vern, just for clarification Mar-k didn't include them in my order. I got them some where else.

Removed the rubber pads. It is better, but not there yet. the passenger side is actually really close to where it needs to be. I looked at the passenger side rear cab mount and it has an extra washer just under the cab. There is one that stayed on the cab during the repair process. It looks like a permenant piece. Could it have been added at the factory? More than likely it was added during it's life. The driver side is still 3/8" off. I'm going to install a spacer under the drivers side rear cab mount to see if it will match the other side.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #3258
65Custom

Alan,

I know what is part of the problem!!!

One of your floor supports is wrong size in height. The middle floor brace should be a thin floor brace your pics appear to have a standard height one in there which would throw it off about that 1/2 inch or more

per mar-k site the middle one is the short one
you should have three
one short in height and 2 taller ones

I also remember when I disassembled mine it had the short floor brace in the middle in front of the wheel tubs

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be

Last edited by 65Custom; 07-14-2011 at 11:26 PM.
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #3259
198plus

Alan here's a couple pics of the wheels......Their dirty.

Here's a couple more......

Here's a clearance shot.......

They really need a good home
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #3260
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
Alan,

I know what is part of the problem!!!

One of your floor supports is wrong size in height. The middle floor brace should be a thin floor brace your pics appear to have a standard height one in there which would throw it off about that 1/2 inch or more

per mar-k site the middle one is the short one
you should have three
one short in height and 2 taller ones

I also remember when I disassembled mine it had the short floor brace in the middle in front of the wheel tubs
Kevin, there are actually 3 tall and one short. To the best of my knowledge they are where they need to be. The main bed bolts go thru them and into the frame. Here is a pic from my archive. The bed is standing on it's front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
Alan here's a couple pics of the wheels......Their dirty.

They really need a good home
Thanks for the pics Ronnie, your truck is not dropped. Mine is down in the rear 4". I have clearanced my rear bedsides to accomendate the truck rallys on a 72 rearend. The tires on the truck rallys are also 255/70. Do you have a package deal price for a broke fellar?

Worked on lining up the bed and cab. I ended up installing 2 of the old cab mount washers under the left rear cab support. Then I installed 2 of the rubber cushions under the right rear of the bed and one on the left rear bed sill. That also leveled my bed out with the cab looking at it from the rear. I will install the rear bumper and check the alignment with the bed.

In hindsight I should have done more checking of body lines and shim placement (if they exist) during teardown. Also check the frame. The lessons we learn.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 07-15-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #3261
flips72

looking good.you will be driving it before long.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #3262
65Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Kevin, there are actually 3 tall and one short. To the best of my knowledge they are where they need to be. The main bed bolts go thru them and into the frame. Here is a pic from my archive. The bed is standing on it's front.

Thanks for the pics Ronnie, your truck is not dropped. Mine is down in the rear 4". I have clearanced my rear bedsides to accomendate the truck rallys on a 72 rearend. The tires on the truck rallys are also 255/70. Do you have a package deal price for a broke fellar?

Worked on lining up the bed and cab. I ended up installing 2 of the old cab mount washers under the left rear cab support. Then I installed 2 of the rubber cushions under the right rear of the bed and one on the left rear bed sill. That also leveled my bed out with the cab looking at it from the rear. I will install the rear bumper and check the alignment with the bed.

In hindsight I should have done more checking of body lines and shim placement (if they exist) during teardown. Also check the frame. The lessons we learn.
Yep you are right! Sorry my mistake! I missed the note on the Mar K site too, I guess one of mine was just missing then, one more thing to add to the list of what i need

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #3263
chad64chevy

alan have any updates?? it's been a week, lol!! i know i know this heat sucks!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #3264
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
alan have any updates?? it's been a week, lol!! i know i know this heat sucks!!
Got a little something to show. Got my old rear bumper installed to check alignment. Alos some pics of my new work area at my day job. More room and less interuptions. There is one other bodyman in here with me.

Ronnie, I also included a pic of the clearance between my bed and tire. You can also see your bumper on the metal shelf at my work.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 07-23-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #3265
Alan's Classic

Got my shirts made.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #3266
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Shirts look good Alan ... what is the plan for tire clearance???
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #3267
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Shirts look good Alan ... what is the plan for tire clearance???
I've already rolled the bedsides lip. That should do it. If not I'll have to get a different offset on the wheels. BTW thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #3268
flips72

shirts really look good,trucks coming along nicely too.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #3269
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Quote:
I've already rolled the bedsides lip. That should do it. If not I'll have to get a different offset on the wheels. BTW thanks
Tire and fender clearance was a concern of mine when I changed axles.
I wanted to stay with my 6 lug rims and had to look quite a while to find a '69 6-stud axle in a 3.07 ratio. The later axles are wider by about 1.5"

Things are coming together nicely
So any long range rough estimate of the first drive?? I bet you are ready.....
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #3270
198plus

I'm liking the shirts, why ya blocking out the number.......If you don't want to show your number just put mine on there

Quote:
Got my shirts made.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3271
198plus

Nice work area !!!!

Quote:
Got a little something to show. Got my old rear bumper installed to check alignment. Alos some pics of my new work area at my day job. More room and less interuptions. There is one other bodyman in here with me.

Ronnie, I also included a pic of the clearance between my bed and tire. You can also see your bumper on the metal shelf at my work.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #3272
shortbed70

Looking very nice. So how did you end up getting the bed lined up right?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #3273
towersddg9

Not sure if your still dealing with the bed, but here is a shot of my 65, right after i pulled it, did not have any type of bushings in it
Attached Images

towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #3274
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
shirts really look good,trucks coming along nicely too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Tire and fender clearance was a concern of mine when I changed axles.
I wanted to stay with my 6 lug rims and had to look quite a while to find a '69 6-stud axle in a 3.07 ratio. The later axles are wider by about 1.5"

Things are coming together nicely
So any long range rough estimate of the first drive?? I bet you are ready.....
i have a 72 axle in it and you are right the axle is 3/4" wider on each side which is creating my clearance issue.

At the rate I'm going it will be another 4 years before it is on the road. J/K I don't think I will make any shows this year with it.

Quote:
I'm liking the shirts, why ya blocking out the number.......If you don't want to show your number just put mine on there
As far as my number, once it is posted on the internet I can never take it off. I know this forum is full of good people, but I don't need a higher pnone bill.

Quote:
Nice work area !!!!
Lots of room for sure. Too bad the paint shop is in another building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Looking very nice. So how did you end up getting the bed lined up right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Shimmed up the right rear of the bed and left rear of the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersddg9 View Post
Not sure if your still dealing with the bed, but here is a shot of my 65, right after i pulled it, did not have any type of bushings in it
Thanks for the pic. I'll double check everything.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #3275
greg65

Quote:
Got my shirts made.
Very nice lookin shirts Alan.
Posted via Mobile Device
1993 mustang gt

BUILD THREAD:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=336653
greg65 is offline   Reply With Quote