The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
KSWes

Re: What I can afford, when I can afford it... 70 Chevy LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddin View Post
I just read through your whole build, great work! I'm sure I missed it but what is the green color that you painted your truck?
Thanks for reading through the build hotroddin! The color is med olive poly. PPG paint code. 504. It is an original factory color code for 1968-72 GM trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Your truck looks great Wes. How about some new pictures?.....
Thanks Mike! I have a few pictures to share, I did some sound deadening a few months back and never put pictures up not much exciting to see with that though but here's one for the heck of it.

Also did the ball joint mod talked about in the No Limits build (Link) it worked beautifully with some help from a buddy with a lot better welding skills than I have. A few pics from that process. At the end of the day over 5-6 degrees positive caster. I couldn't afford a new set of lower a arms to add caster so I did this, and thus far I'm thrilled with the drive-ability and control. I can drive the truck with one finger now if I want to and feels much better at higher speeds holds the road like a much newer car.

(**note** to anyone considering something like this before tackling make sure you or whomever is doing the welding has skills and equipment to make sure the welds are strong and safe, because there is a lot riding on those welds.)

The truck also got to be in a St. Patrick's day parade for the radio station I work for, so that was fun momma and baby came along too.

I've been using it to haul a lot of stuff lately for a house project that's been keeping me very busy in my spare time. Not a whole lot of scenic pics lately because it's been all work and no play

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
KSWes

So it's been a long time since I posted any thing here I'm not sure if anyone will see this but what the hell. I haven't really done much with the 70 other than drive it enjoy it. But over the years since I finished I've never really been thrilled with the carburetor experience. I've been driving it and really in the back of my mind was considering an Vortec 5.3 or 6.0 swap, in addition to getting the drive-ability of the fuel injection. I wanted to upgrade to a computer controlled transmission. But really hadn't decided to pull the trigger until a few weeks ago. I've had the opportunity to locate a donor Iron Block LS. I just have to pull it out of a wrecked van. So I sold my 383 last week end and was left with this vacancy.

My goal is to have it back on the road in a few months, but hoping to do a few additional upgrades while I'm at it. Really want cruise control, some suspension upgrades, and a few wiring tweaks, I'll include updates as I go. while I'm into fix up mode. If anyone is paying attention I'd love some engine color suggestions. The Chevy Orange is fine, but could probably be talked into some other options too. I'm not in love with Orange. And also it seems like a lot of folks don't like painted aluminum heads. Opinions? I'll take them.

Last edited by KSWes; 04-05-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: photo resizing
Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
grndcont

good luck with the swap! nice truck.
grndcont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndcont View Post
good luck with the swap! nice truck.
Thanks! going to be stalking the boards to get good info about what all is involved. From first glance it looks pretty straightforward.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Low Elco

Good to see you, Wes! Swap is pretty easy, the LS board on here has tons of information, and LS172nova's Rusty thread is a great place to start.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Good to see you, Wes! Swap is pretty easy, the LS board on here has tons of information, and LS172nova's Rusty thread is a great place to start.
Thanks Chip, I'll take a look, I haven't driven it as much as I would like over the past few years. Little things that just were bothering me that needed to get resolved and no money to put towards it. But this motor swap should resolve the issues I was having. Hope you're doing well!