The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #3701
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilts60 View Post
I went out in the backyard today, and took a real good long hard look at my truck. Then went to bed.
I do that daily.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #3702
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_bole View Post
Thanks for the info Mark, I look forward to seeing the write up about the caddy tail lights...

Roberto
Here is the original drawing my son used to fabricate the brackets. I wanted the profile of the bracket to emulate the shape of the rear fender top. There are some extra screw holes in the lower drawing that were changed during production. Once all the machine work was completed they were sent out for powder coating:

And here are photos of the removable portion of the light assemblies:

The lights slide into the bezel piece from the front, and the aluminum bar holds them in place. I don’t have any unassembled photos of the back portion that bolts to the truck, but it has a cavity for the aluminum plate, and a hole drilled through the end that goes under the truck bed. The wiring feeds into the hole, runs through the mounting bracket and is connected to the harness under the bed where it cannot be seen.

And here are a couple of photos showing the brackets and lights before the fenders went on. The back half on each side bolts to the stake pocket in the original holes. We added two additional mounting holes in the stake pocket and bracket. The finished assemblies are reasonably heavy and I wanted to make sure they wouldn't sag over time. The bezel with the tail lights attaches to the mounting bracket with an upper and lower screw between the lenses. These screw into threaded nutcerts permanently installed in the mounting bracket.

And here are a couple of shots after the fenders went on:

They look pretty cool at night.

I’m sure something far less complex could be whipped up. I just happened to have a full service machine shop and expert machinist available back when these were created. If I could have found a way to mount six of them, I would have added electronic sequencers like on the early Mercury Cougars. I just couldn’t come up with a way to mount six tail lights that didn’t look stupid.

Last edited by markeb01; 08-22-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #3703
coulter

i like those tail lights man!! those look great

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #3704
glos55

Very nice!! Creative, I like it. I been thinking of a third brake light? Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3705
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I used a pair of Ron Francis Brite Lights for my 3rd (& 4th) brake lights. They work only on the brake circuit – brakes, turn signals, and 4 way flashers. With the twin Caddy tail lights this provides 3 lights per side for turn signals, and 6 for braking.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BL%2D69R

Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #3706
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I used a pair of Ron Francis Brite Lights for my 3rd (& 4th) brake lights. They work only on the brake circuit – brakes, turn signals, and 4 way flashers. With the twin Caddy tail lights this provides 3 lights per side for turn signals, and 6 for braking.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BL%2D69R

Mark,
Another subtle detail I missed when I visited you last month.
I'll have to pay attention next time. Nice truck!
Dean

Last edited by dean jendro; 08-22-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #3707
steverino66

Slick detail on those taillights!
I cleaned up and painted the bottom of my cab floor yesterday (firewall's next, or maybe the cab roof since it's already sitting there on its back?):
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #3708
bobbylast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuellg1977 View Post
It's not that I am afraid of snakes... It's a game that I play... When I see a snake, I scream like a little girl and RUN. The farther away I get, the more points I award myself. And I have NEVER lost!!!
i just dont wanna ride with one in the cab...under seat drivers.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #3709
losthope

well today i rewired the cut and spliced wires under the bed that went to taillights....it took me about 3 hours to rewire the four wires in the tail lamp harness!!!!! i couldnt believe this simple task would take so long, but i wired everything right the first time i know i did cuz i followed a thread on here that means it had to be right you guys couldnt be wrong could you???but everytime i stepped on the brakes the dash lights would come on....totally confused the hell out of me...so i came back in and checked the thread again and wrote down what color wires went to what, double,triple check everythings wired right but dash lights still came on when you stepped on the brakes??? so i figure the turn signal switch has to be messed up ,so i pull the steering wheel and find nothing funky going on probing every possible thing with my test light...by this time i cant figure out what is going on and im pissed im pretty good at wiring cars and at finding electrical gremlins and im stumped....all the wires under dash havent been tampered with i even pulled gauge cluster out so i could see every wire really good and nothing is spliced at all.....WTF....im really pissed thinking i should just buy a universal wiring harness and just rewire the whole damn truck.....so i go back to the back and check the wiring again everythings wired right and testing right with the probe light .....finally i remember that one of the bulbs in the back i couldnt really get out of the socket figured corrosion glued it in there.. so i finally wiggle the bulb out and its a single filament bulb and was touching both contacts in the socket so everytime i stepped on brakes the power back feed up the running light wire making the dash lights come on as if you had the headlight switch on....Sometimes i wish i could go back in time and punch the previous owners in the face after they signed the title over for some of the stuff ive seen them do after ive got the vehicles......rant over..

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #3710
Revoh

^^ That sounds about right.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #3711
kieth

Well we finally got the fuel pump issue taken care of, I am now officially driving my truck again. It is not finished but are they ever totally finished. I feel just being able to drive it back and forth to work is a great victory. Kieth

Interior shot:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...6_rjGkFPB-A-LB

exterior shot:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G..._wLm4dMM-X2-LB

Still some small stuff to do, but it is running and it drives like a dream........
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #3712
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
Well we finally got the fuel pump issue taken care of, I am now officially driving my truck again. It is not finished but are they ever totally finished. I feel just being able to drive it back and forth to work is a great victory. Kieth

Interior shot:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...6_rjGkFPB-A-LB

exterior shot:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G..._wLm4dMM-X2-LB

Still some small stuff to do, but it is running and it drives like a dream........
Always a nice feeling to be able to drive them, truck looks super Keith the dash just right everything looks great. I wanted to ask where did you get the cup holder/console? I like the looks of that...Vernski
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #3713
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Always a nice feeling to be able to drive them, truck looks super Keith the dash just right everything looks great. I wanted to ask where did you get the cup holder/console? I like the looks of that...Vernski
I got it from Kennys' Trucks here in Tulsa, they come in a variety of colors, I got it because I am going to lose my glove box when I put the A/C in, so I have to have a place to keep my pistol, sunglasses, loose change. It does strap in but so far I have just left it sitting there.

ps Kennys trucks phone number is, 918-827-2600 His wife Tina will answer the phone they are $100.00.......Kieth
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #3714
jimmydean

I talked a lot of smack last night.

While I understand there are people who have stupid amounts of money and no motivation to do things for themselves, it still makes me giggle. This guy was at the bar talking about his brand new Cadillac CTS-V and how he was having this shop do all this "stuff" to it.

While I wouldn't be quick to turn a wrench myself on a precious ride like that, I certainly wouldn't just hand it to a shop to do "stuff" to it. I would at least know what they were doing, why, and not just hand them my card to run at their whim.

Why bother even having something like that if you have NO IDEA WHAT IT IS?
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #3715
steverino66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Why bother even having something like that if you have NO IDEA WHAT IT IS?
OBVIOUSLY… to impress people like us in bars - lol.
Don't get us started on the "car" guys with fat wallets and clean hands - it'll never end!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #3716
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
I got it from Kennys' Trucks here in Tulsa, they come in a variety of colors, I got it because I am going to lose my glove box when I put the A/C in, so I have to have a place to keep my pistol, sunglasses, loose change. It does strap in but so far I have just left it sitting there.

ps Kennys trucks phone number is, 918-827-2600 His wife Tina will answer the phone they are $100.00.......Kieth
Hey thanks Keith for the info on the cup holder/console...Vernski
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #3717
bo-w

i collected/purchased intake and VC gaskets and battery, re-built/rejetted a carb for the suburban installed it and started tunning. oh and picked up new intake bolts
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #3718
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Got the wood done......buttoned it up.....drove it.....and took a picture of it beside the short box big window....It's not completely finished as of yet but it's really close just needs the stero finished and some interior work................It was a great day for mankind.
Attached Images

1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #3719
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2Dozen View Post
Past two days got my rims painted black, bought some used tires and shaved the sidewalls down for a cheaper but good looking set of wide whites.

s***** looking trailer wheels that I rolled on all winter long just waiting for this day.

this was before to make sure they fit

me using flap disk

side shot

Very nice... I am totally diggin the look. I am going with the satin black with a white roof cap and cab sails on my 63.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #3720
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylast View Post
i just dont wanna ride with one in the cab...under seat drivers.
They do get annoying with all the demands "turn here, swerve left, now right. Wipe out that parked car while you swat at me". I get it. They really are bossy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #3721
Hipper

well didnt work on my truck but went and picked up a new toy for the wife, 69 bmw 1600-2 but made a deal that for every hour I work on her car I get and hour to work on one of mine.
Attached Images

71 GMC Long Bed, 454,factory everything, lowered, and shaved.
64 GMC Short Bed (great grandfathers truck)
65 Chevy 1 ton Dually a/c p/s p/b v8 auto
89 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift
79 MG Midget (My 7 year old vehicle)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (in the works)
86 pontiac fiero 2.5 manual18 year olds)
87 pontiac fiero SE 2.8 auto (18 year olds)
90 Mitsubishi eclipes turbo AWD (18 year olds)
69 BMW 1600 (wifes toy)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #3722
smilts60

Finaly got out back to get some real work done on my truck today. then realized it was 100+ out there. Still managed to get the hood removed

Then got the back and the interior totaly cleaned out. Theres a transmission just out of view that I found buried under tires and such in the bed. The bed wood is gonna have to be replaced. Also found the drive shaft.

All of that doesnt seem like much but it was.. Managed to get a good look around so I know what patch panels I have to order now. Really wasnt as bad as I thought on first inspection. Also managed to get some measuring done on the fenders to see how high I need to go with the patchs there. Then decided the entire 15 inch patch panel is going on when my new fender braces arrive. Thankfully my dogs were a huge help and managed to stay out of the way the entire time.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #3723
el_bole

Was taking my first attempt on wrenching on bed bolts to take off the Custom fleet side on my '61...One came off super easy and the others well....not so much.

Ended saying eff it and took a grinder to the back two bolts at the rear of the bed...

Came off like a charm....Tomaro going to complete the task, need to remove gas tank first...previous owner put the factory behind seat tank in the bed in a big a$$ metal box( I thought is had a 30 gallon tank when I first bought truck LOL)...

Going to throw on a step side short bed, that I need to get fabbed, I got for free out here In sunny san diego...
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #3724
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_bole View Post
Was taking my first attempt on wrenching on bed bolts to take off the Custom fleet side on my '61...One came off super easy and the others well....not so much.

Ended saying eff it and took a grinder to the back two bolts at the rear of the bed...

Came off like a charm....Tomaro going to complete the task, need to remove gas tank first...previous owner put the factory behind seat tank in the bed in a big a$$ metal box( I thought is had a 30 gallon tank when I first bought truck LOL)...

Going to throw on a step side short bed, that I need to get fabbed, I got for free out here In sunny san diego...
Roberto do you have any pictures of your ride yet? I like to see what people start with and of course progress pic's included. No pressure now just when you have time for it...Vernski
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #3725
kieth

got my cragars mounted on the front today, waiting on the rear axles to be redrilled and new studs with the proper bolt pattern.....

What do you think ??

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...318683_65BHqDb

Just click on the thumbnails to see the other shots......cannot wait to get the rears on, I think it will look pretty good......Kieth
Closed Thread