The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2023, 12:04 PM   #3726
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I got started back into woodworking. We moved, about 3 ears ago, from CA to ID. The movers we hired SUCKED!!!!! We had so many damaged items, it was ridiculous. Anyway, my tablesaw was one of those that suffered. I finally got around to truing up the blade, so that it was parallel to the grooves in the cast iron top. Once done, I started building my work bench.

If you are interested in what moving company it was, Move Central. Don't EVER use them.
I hate movers. Mine didn't break anything. I don't think it would be possible with the amount of bubblewrap and boxes that they charged me up the ying yang for. Then they sent a truck that was too small. I told them it was a 4 bedroom house. and this truck was just way too small. But they told me that they could could send another truck at my expense. Twice the price. And they wouldn't take my 60 gallon air compressor for some lame reason. I had 2 buddies and a U Haul take the rest. Left the air compressor and told my new tenant that he could use it. He sold it.

And the car shippers were just as bad. I gave them 2 weeks notice and at the 11th hour they told me only one guy could do it and it was more money. So here I was sitting in an empty house waiting on the car shippers. I paid it. What a rip off.

So here I am again. Just got the keys for my new place but this time it's going to be different. I'm not moving far and I have no deadline to get out of the old place. I haven't even put it up for sale yet. Nobody's ripping me off this time.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #3727
tutone

Still messing around with this @$%& camaro.
Had to pull the muncie out after toasting a t/o bearing.
Decided to check the speedometer drive. Not turning, rebuilder didn't
Even bother to put a drive gear on it. So..... I took it apart and put one on it to match up with my drivetrain. Nothing is ever easy. Good news is, everything inside looks crisp. Hopefully, it will work out.Of course the pin came out inside the case when I pulled the tailshaft. I got it all together and back in the car.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:21 PM   #3728
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Even bother to put a drive gear on it. So..... I took it apart and put one on it to match up with my drivetrain. Nothing is ever easy. Good news is, everything inside looks crisp. Hopefully, it will work out.Of course the pin came out inside the case when I pulled the tailshaft. I got it all together and back in the car.
I took the 4 speed muncie out of my 39 (second gear was out) and then found a T-5 and took it out of a 87 S-10 and overhauld it and put it in.. Your right when you think you are done no your not.. I at least was able to work with my as a dad and son project ,, You'll get ,,justbe patient , I guess.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #3729
72c20customcamper

Put in 6 taps today maple sap is running well already usually it’s end of February it runs well. Another 4 or 6 taps going in tomorrow
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:18 PM   #3730
truckster

Let's see... I started the day by visiting the shop where my daughter works. Their 360 ton press is down and the maintenance guy didn't know what a gib is or how to find or adjust them...
Then I spent 9 hours preparing lessons and teaching classes.
And now I'm waiting for parents to show up for parent teacher conferences.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #3731
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Put in 6 taps today maple sap is running well already usually it’s end of February it runs well. Another 4 or 6 taps going in tomorrow
Curious,, how many Pints Quarts Gallons do you get out of tree in a season .. sounds like a sweet job ,,( prolly hear that all the time ),,,,,,
Old 02-10-2023, 07:52 AM   #3732
sakustoms

Quote:
It's never fun doing things 2 and 3 times. Hopefully that's the last time for you.
sakustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:56 AM   #3733
sakustoms

Finally making real progress on my sons 68 Camaro. I have about 95% of the sheet metal welded back on now. I fit the front end yesterday so I can start working on gaps and make sure everything is where it belongs. I told him he needs a fiberglass hood because getting the factory steel one on and off by myself really sucks.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #3734
special-K
Special Order

This is building a car. Looking good!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #3735
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This is building a car. Looking good!
Thank you. I will have replaced probably 60% of the metal on this car when I'm done. It has come a long way in a short time. I almost can't wait to start bodywork. LOL
Old 02-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #3736
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Curious,, how many Pints Quarts Gallons do you get out of tree in a season .. sounds like a sweet job ,,( prolly hear that all the time ),,,,,,
Depends on the tree and the sugar content of the sap . A couple of them consistantly produce 4% the others around 2% . 4% will be about 27to1 ratio of sap to syrup 2 is about 40to1 .

But the average is 3 to 5 gallons of sap per tap a day
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 02-10-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:58 PM   #3737
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakustoms View Post
Finally making real progress on my sons 68 Camaro. I have about 95% of the sheet metal welded back on now. I fit the front end yesterday so I can start working on gaps and make sure everything is where it belongs. I told him he needs a fiberglass hood because getting the factory steel one on and off by myself really sucks.

Good progress. Keep it up.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #3738
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Depends on the tree and the sugar content of the sap . A couple of them consistantly produce 4% the others around 2% . 4% will be about 27to1 ratio of sap to syrup 2 is about 40to1 .

But the average is 3 to 5 gallons of sap per tap a day
I find syrup making fascinating. I have heard of people tapping other trees than maples as well. Maybe it is because I love real maple syrup. When I was about 6 or 7, my grandad raised sorghum and built a cooker. I remember helping out. He overcooked it, but it was edible. I think they sold it to a feed mill in the area for horse feed. When we go to Missouri, we pick some up .
Old 02-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #3739
72c20customcamper

Quote:
I find syrup making fascinating. I have heard of people tapping other trees than maples as well. Maybe it is because I love real maple syrup. When I was about 6 or 7, my grandad raised sorghum and built a cooker. I remember helping out. He overcooked it, but it was edible. I think they sold it to a feed mill in the area for horse feed. When we go to Missouri, we pick some up .
There are alot of trees that can be tapped for syrup production , Boxelder , Birch,walnut all make great syrups but t takes a lot more sap to make a gallon of syrup as the sugar content is low. I have a lot of Black birch and black walnut on the property but never have tried them .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #3740
Rickysnickers

After we had moved out of the house, I had gone back a couple of days later to look around. It was a good thing I did. The movers left all kinds of trash, extra tape, and moving blankets. They had also left an antique cast iron "tractor" sprinkler. Honestly, I was also sad about moving. Looking back, I don't know if I would have sold that house and left CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I hate movers. Mine didn't break anything. I don't think it would be possible with the amount of bubblewrap and boxes that they charged me up the ying yang for. Then they sent a truck that was too small. I told them it was a 4 bedroom house. and this truck was just way too small. But they told me that they could could send another truck at my expense. Twice the price. And they wouldn't take my 60 gallon air compressor for some lame reason. I had 2 buddies and a U Haul take the rest. Left the air compressor and told my new tenant that he could use it. He sold it.

And the car shippers were just as bad. I gave them 2 weeks notice and at the 11th hour they told me only one guy could do it and it was more money. So here I was sitting in an empty house waiting on the car shippers. I paid it. What a rip off.

So here I am again. Just got the keys for my new place but this time it's going to be different. I'm not moving far and I have no deadline to get out of the old place. I haven't even put it up for sale yet. Nobody's ripping me off this time.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #3741
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
After we had moved out of the house, I had gone back a couple of days later to look around. It was a good thing I did. The movers left all kinds of trash, extra tape, and moving blankets. They had also left an antique cast iron "tractor" sprinkler. Honestly, I was also sad about moving. Looking back, I don't know if I would have sold that house and left CA.
I know what you mean ..

I rented out our house to a preacher and his family for 6 months and we moved to Idaho,After 6 months being here in Idaho I went back that next summer to ready the place to sell and do some work on the house,, Them Religious people were suppose to be done cleaning the place as we agreed and moved out...

it was that very day they has just started ,, I found that the Preacher had set up a long metal tub in my shop to work on transmissions /radiators and the floor for the first time ever was covered with tranny parts ,,oil ,rust,grease 1/2 inch deep and rags all over and on my long work bench ,, They also hit my rock wall at the drive way entrance I built and broke it all over..I was very unhappy and told him so ,, he said he didnt know that had happened ,,,I told him that I wanted he floor cleaned before they left ,,I left as to mad to even watch them ,, he took a preasure washer and washed all of it out into the gravel entrance plus all over the walls ,,

The carpet was all black from oil ,, the whole house was neglected of daily cleaning '

and also in the house Mrs Preach sold or give away a rack of some 75 DVD movies the my wife left them to see as to be nice and and I would bring them home after selling the house ,,the list goes on.. but best I quit here as it makes me mad all over again at my self for helping them out by renting to them cheap just to have some one living there so none of the stuff that did happen did happen anyway by these people of the cloth .
Old 02-11-2023, 07:56 PM   #3742
special-K
Special Order

^^^ This is why i have never wanted to rent out a home. When we bought this place we had a month or two left on our lease. Oh, BTW, we were model renters . No, seriously! My gal's sister lived at the other end of the townhouse row. She allowed our brother-in-law's cousin and girlfriend to stay there till the lease ran out. I told her it was a bad idea. I do things like that when I just feel like talking, because it isn't like she'd do anything different. There were still some things left in there, like a Lane cedar chest with the TV on it. I never knew she had the silverware from her grandmother in that chest. Well they sure figured it out and made that disappear.

What did I do today not on my truck? I took the Christmas lights down. It took a lot of time because I wanted to organize and label them all so next time it will be easier to put them up. It seemed to get complicated and took a while to put them up this time. Pus I added some. I put each strand in a zip-loc storage bag labels, not only where they went but also notes about cords, which direction power came from, etc. It's done!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:01 PM   #3743
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Went over the rental house, which is being sold and is now in escrow. The toilet paper holders were understandably empty, but when I went over today to touch up some caulking, I noticed a fresh roll of toilet paper in one bathroom. Checking around, I found one slider window unlatched. I'm going over at o'dark hundred tomorrow morning and looking for intruders.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:25 PM   #3744
68bowtie

I got new tires on my c10-getter today. First “new” tires since I built it in 2003 (aside from some used ones along the way).

I enjoyed watching the young guys zip and torque the right side wheels with the hubcaps sitting on the ground. I figured I’d keep it to myself and let them learn a lesson. The kid who did the left side finished first, came around and pointed out their mistake.

Name:  72A0E301-8C07-4E6D-AD57-A944935A37A5.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  47.4 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:17 AM   #3745
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I went to the new house to take measurements and really take a hard look at where to start. My conclusion: I have absolutely no idea where to start. The place is so big and it needs work everywhere you look. It's structurally sound but it's just old and ugly and there's a lot of house. I get lost in it. I wonder if I bit off more than I can chew.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:13 AM   #3746
Rickysnickers

That's just maddening Larry!! You try to be nice to some people and it just comes back to bite you in the backside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I know what you mean ..

I rented out our house to a preacher and his family for 6 months and we moved to Idaho,After 6 months being here in Idaho I went back that next summer to ready the place to sell and do some work on the house,, Them Religious people were suppose to be done cleaning the place as we agreed and moved out...

it was that very day they has just started ,, I found that the Preacher had set up a long metal tub in my shop to work on transmissions /radiators and the floor for the first time ever was covered with tranny parts ,,oil ,rust,grease 1/2 inch deep and rags all over and on my long work bench ,, They also hit my rock wall at the drive way entrance I built and broke it all over..I was very unhappy and told him so ,, he said he didnt know that had happened ,,,I told him that I wanted he floor cleaned before they left ,,I left as to mad to even watch them ,, he took a preasure washer and washed all of it out into the gravel entrance plus all over the walls ,,

The carpet was all black from oil ,, the whole house was neglected of daily cleaning '

and also in the house Mrs Preach sold or give away a rack of some 75 DVD movies the my wife left them to see as to be nice and and I would bring them home after selling the house ,,the list goes on.. but best I quit here as it makes me mad all over again at my self for helping them out by renting to them cheap just to have some one living there so none of the stuff that did happen did happen anyway by these people of the cloth .
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:33 PM   #3747
72c20customcamper

Put in more taps . I have 18 running right now hope to make at least 10 gallons of Maple syrup this year
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #3748
72c20customcamper

Chicken’n’ribs for lunch
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #3749
special-K
Special Order

Oh well, we all have to eat. Don't worry, things will get better. I had a frozen pizza (J/K)

I came across a vintage ceiling light my ex-wife had bought. In my mudroom the ceiling light is still just the porcelain fixture I put up temporarily. I'll be selling this place at some point and would really like to have some cool lighting in my next house. But it was free and is an improvement that will show the house better... and I'll just feel better while I'm here with a finishing touch.

Always something. Somewhere along the line electrical boxes and cross bars shrunk. The mounting holes for the fixture have a 4" span and the standard width these days maxes out at 3 3/4". So I had to make a custom cross bar out of aluminum strap stock all because of 1/4". And of course a trip into the hardware store for the right length 8-32 screws and knurled brass nuts. Cost more in gas than for hardware, but it's done and it works!
Attached Images

Tim

Old 02-13-2023, 07:55 AM   #3750
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Cleaned up my garage today and got the TV working in there for a Superbowl party in the garage (that's where everybody ends up anyway). Grilled hot dogs and chicken wings. It was fun and I got to know some more of my neighbors. Win Win. Except now I have to do the dishes.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.