The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 AM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, SM420 seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshamu View Post
The rear transmission seal on my 4 speed SM420 has bee weeping the past few weeks so I decided to get busy and eliminate it. I hit up O'reilly's for their Fel-Pro TS 5100 gasket set. I wasn't sure of the rear seal number so I ordered my seal from Jim Carter Truck parts. The CR Seals number is CR 22340.

My yoke had some slight wear from the old seal so I had it polished and my favorite driveline shop. Now that you know the gasket set # and seal hopefully this helps someone out.
Cheers, Chuck
Cool, thanks! Did O'Reilly's have that in stock or did they have to order it?
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #2
bennylava

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I wondered about it. Like how much it's going to cost for a decent paint job, converting it to an LS 5.3L engine/trans, putting a good bag system on it (while not lowering it but gaining ride comfort), and completely refurbishing the interior. Oh and a decent sound system as well.

I wondered about the total cost of doing all that.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
sshamu

Re: What did you do with your truck today, SM420 seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Cool, thanks! Did O'Reilly's have that in stock or did they have to order it?
On-line order said 2 days but I called them and they had it the next AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
mick53

I worked another 3 hours on the thermostat housing. I finished the heavy grinding and started the smoothin process. This piece is no fun. Also dropped the damper off at the racecar machinist to have spacers made and checked on the machinist doing the water pump. It should be done tomorrow.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
evilokc

thought my fender install was a wrap tonight but before I did the final tightening I looked over all my work to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything and I had. I found two things I didn't like. when I installed the fender I wasn't paying enough attention to the lines that run over the frame rail. they should be under the inner fender but the way I installed it the inner fender pushed them in almost touching the header. those have to be fished under the fender. the wiring harness goes between the core support and the inner fender in stamped in grooves. when I installed It I didn't get the harness in the groove I meant to. it works but doesn't tuck as nice. tomorrow I will correct both of these issues.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
mick53

I picked up my water pump from the machine shop today. They turned the heater hose mount down to 3/4" to accept the A/N compression fitting. This is done by turning the cutter on a boring head backwards and running the mill in reverse. The problem is holding the pump solid enough to do this. I didn't want to disassemble it. They made a special jig for the job. One outlet is for the heater and the other for the drag radiator. I had to shorten the neck on the fitting to get enough for the collar to compress. This fitting is rated at 250 PSI but I'm running waterless coolant so there will be no pressure in the system. I spent some time working on the thermostat housing also.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Marty68

I drove my truck friday!... however the threaded rod bent in a u shape (that way when I bought it) apparently bound up. It broke leaving me with no way to release clutch. After dropping some home brew bottles off at my friends I got him to push start me in 4th gear. Made it home. Then I replaced threadedrod with this.
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
dsraven

by the pic it looks like the threaded rod was waaay outta alignment and set up for failure.
improvise, it's what we do. lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
by the pic it looks like the threaded rod was waaay outta alignment and set up for failure.
improvise, it's what we do. lol.
It was probably ok. Before we raised engine 2" for MII crossmember. I am kind of proud of the "hook" I made, adjustable and alignment correcting.
Next project lower rear bumper an incn to show more licensing plate better.
Then brew beer.
Then make mustang shifter fit s10 trans. To gain shifter stops and less ugly shift arm.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
MiraclePieCo

On a recent drive it was obvious that my truck didn't have its usual power. Checking the throttle blades I could see that they weren't opening fully. I had added layers of jute, rubber mat and carpeted floor mats beneath the pedal, thus preventing full throttle actuation. A simple cable adjustment got things back to spec.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-23-2020 at 04:55 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
mikebte

Installed halogen headlight in the 59'
Was driving it a lot this winter and the front lights kept moving around and not holding in place so I opted to just change them all while I was replacing the adjuster parts.
Some day I'll restore this thing.

Name:  Headlight swap.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  76.1 KB
As per usual I documented it
https://youtu.be/zeAQB3K6sPM
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
nvrdone

so since im off work because of the corona virus, I started changing my brakes over to a power / dual circuit setup. so far the lines, m/c & booster are in. all the shoes, springs & wheel cylinders have been replaced. now on to bleeding the system. hope it works out. we shall see.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
so since im off work because of the corona virus, I started changing my brakes over to a power / dual circuit setup. so far the lines, m/c & booster are in. all the shoes, springs & wheel cylinders have been replaced. now on to bleeding the system. hope it works out. we shall see.
Kind of sad that this is what it takes for us to have the time to enjoy a hobby. I have not been able to touch my truck for 8 months and BAM I suddenly have time to use that pile of parts in the garage.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
dsraven

If doing the master on the frame you may need residual valves too.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
nvrdone

sorry - missed the residual valves. yes, I have them in front & rear lines.
whoops. I didn't identify what im working on.
its a '49 AD with a built 327, m21 4 spd, 12 bolt with 3:55's, and a 3" dropped front axle from Sid's.
bought it in 1973 for $235.00
Old 03-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #16
dsraven

Nice buy.
Just thought I would mention those res valves so you could plumb them before you finished up.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #17
nvrdone

ya, I bought it for $235.00 but it didn't have the 327, 4 speed or any of the other stuff ive added over the years. but at least it didn't have any rust.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 PM   #18
idbeast

Bummer, the state of Washington is under a stay at home order from the governor, but as I was clocking out at the time clock, my boss handed me a Essential Worker Form, to show the police if I get pulled over going to or from work..... So much for my plans to work on the '56
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #19
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Bummer, the state of Washington is under a stay at home order from the governor, but as I was clocking out at the time clock, my boss handed me a Essential Worker Form, to show the police if I get pulled over going to or from work..... So much for my plans to work on the '56
Understand,
Being in the trucking world I also was lucky enough to get that letter and keep my job. Guess it could be worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #20
MiraclePieCo

Dang, I was hoping to get a break from all this coronavirus talk.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 03-25-2020 at 06:03 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #21
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Dang, I was hoping to get a break from all this coronavirus talk.
Lets break the Ice. I have my Drop springs and fuel tank and I spent some time today cleaning up around the garage prepping for the job and removing the bed for the fuel tank.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
nvrdone

interesting. im in the dental supply business and we will be shut down wed. night. maybe I should talk to my boss about that letter.
But I am enjoying the time off to work on the truck.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
interesting. im in the dental supply business and we will be shut down wed. night. maybe I should talk to my boss about that letter.
But I am enjoying the time off to work on the truck.
Enjoy the time if you can. The Letter I supply talks about transport in interstate commerce. This work is considered critical to the COVID-19 response and techs are vital in order to keep the trucks on the road.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
Marty68

My Gov just ordered "stay at home" my employer has not decided if we stay or go...
I took my ride Sunday put about 100 miles on her. first real drive after suspension work.. best handling old truck I ever drove.
I plan on sorting out WOT burble then work on fitting new shifter.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #25
Kevin Mac

I still have been working on the 2004R swap (from a 350 turbo). I got it all in and running, the first test drive was not very good, had a vibration, it shifted in and out in and out when going to 2nd. Made a few phone calls and reserch on the web to find that I needed to tighten the TV cable. I had the correct bracket to relocate the cable but it sure didn't like it there.

I then made a carb mount with 3 holes to try and see which shifted the best. Next test was much better but the vibration had me scarred because I put Tracloc in the 9", which was another first for me setting up gears.

Dropped the driveshaft and took it to driveshaft shop and had new u joints and balanced, made another adjustment to TV cable and the next run was fun, no vibration and shifting was really getting there. Before I go any further, I bought the tranny on Market Place, but I trust the guy (he had a nice AD) and he held it for a couple months while we tried to figure out how to get to me without shipping. It was a rebuilt unit with a stage 1 build, not by any big name company, but never the less he was a transmission builder. He bought it for a Task Force that he never finished or installed.

Each time I changed the geomentry of the bracket I took carb to WOT and pulled TV tight. As I understand it, that makes the starting point of the TV cable putting more pressure on the clutches, at one test run it didn't shift until rpm was too high, so that was too far. I did talk to the builder and that is what he told me to do. move the cable end closer to the pivot.

Not real comfy with that method I put a pressure gauge on it and I think my pressures are a little low, but I'm not sure what all has been changed in transmission either. Forgot to mention that it did sit for couple years inside the guys shop, which agian I believe him as I have asked him a few questions and he is always willing to help.

I intalled a TCI lock up kit with the vacuum switch, manual on off switch and a 12 volt switch to kill it all if needed. The vac switch was kinda erratic so I did adjust that as well. Next up is installing a 12 volt time delay set at 8 sec so when the vac switch makes, it will delay 8 seconds before it locks up the convertor, in hopes that it will calm down the in and out of the lockup.
whew that was a lot of typing for hands of kinda guy.
Mac
48 chevy, 78 gbody clip, ford 9 inch 3:56 gears, 383 stroker, 4 link, hydroboost and AC!

Last edited by Kevin Mac; 03-25-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote