The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
OrrieG

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

Good to hear its on the road. I'm firing my engine next weekend. Did you get the photos of the trim??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
kustombrad

Its not on the road yet but its getting closer! Lots of detail stuff now! Trying to finish up all the interior stuff and then I'm driving it!
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320546
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
kustombrad

Wow, what a great weekend! Fixed a couple more little issues and got to put another 5 miles or so on the truck and helped Alex get a bunch of stuff done on his truck! It's too fun cruising this thing around! I'm still working on the interior and stereo stuff, so it's not a driver just yet. I was trying to figure out how to run my speaker wire without it pinching the wires as the door closes. I saw a friends truck and the kit they used but me being the cheap-ass did the same thing with very little money. Went to the hardware store and picked up a (1) Screendoor spring 16"x9/16" (2) 7/8" plastic hole plugs and a couple of rubber grommets. You'll notice I took my die grinder and made a hole in the plastic plug, this is where the spring will slide through. I cut the spring in half so I have an 8" chunk for each side. I should have taken more pics, so I'll have to explain. I drilled a hole in the door jamb about 3" up from the lower hinge hole 3/4" from the inside edge of the door. After taking the die grinder to open the hole up to fit the plastic plug, I got inside the truck, closed the door and reached through the access hole to use my sharpie and trace the hole I drilled onto the door jamb. Now the holes line up. I took my plastic plug that I'd drilled out so the spring slides smoothly through it and glued it to the door hole. I then finished opening up the door jamp hole to fit the rubber grommet that has a 9/16" ID (same size as the spring diameter) and installed the grommet. I wrapped a couple turns of electrical tape around the first 2" of spring so it would fit snug into the the grommet and put the other end of the spring into the door. When you close the door the spring stays tight in the jamb, but glides smoothly into the door so the wires don't pinch! Less than $10 in the whole deal and it works great. I actually trimmed the tape so you couldn't see it and put a little dab of weatherstrip adhesive on the grommet and spring so it wont go anywhere. Here's how it works and I'm sorry about the compressor noise!

Last edited by kustombrad; 10-03-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

To COOL!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
65Pickup

Yup wicked ingenuity.
65Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Kim57

Very slick mod.
Kim
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
kustombrad

Here's another little no money deal I just finished. I installed my new/old distributor and coil after yanking out the HEI. I couldn't find the plug wire looms I was looking for, so I whipped up something to get me by until I find what I want. I took some 1/4" washers, welded them together and then flattened the weld with a sledge hammer . After painting them black I installed them on the bottom 2 bolts of the valve covers. I routed my wiring before cutting the wires to fit and seperated them with black zip-ties. I cut a couple small chunks of 3/8" fuel line, split it and put the wires inside before zipping them to the washers bolted to the covers It's very simple and pretty much free!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Purec4

Very clean look, me I'd leave them. Simple. old school look and NO BLING!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Purec4

Very clean look, me I'd leave them. Simple. old school look (if we'd had zip ties back then) and NO BLING!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
kustombrad

More little tricks! Here's how I setup the heater control; I used a choke cable and a water control valve from a motorhome that I scored at Pick and Plunder! When the knob is pushed in, the water flow is shut off (no heat) and it's opened when pulled out Notice I avoided the normal and used tophat style guitar knobs for the dash stuff! Here's the valve on the heater hose

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
65Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustombrad View Post
More little tricks![/IMG]
Incredible solutions, its always a good day when you post. Great idea for dash knobs.
65Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
kustombrad

Here's my throttle pedal idea that works really well. The truck had a linkage from an early-mid 60's Chevy truck, so I decided to go with it. By design the rod rubs on the back of the pedal, it works but could be way smoother. I took a flat chunk of 16 gauge sheetmetal and fastened in to the back of my Cal Custom "Foot" pedal for both the "hinge" and pressure point of the pedal. I then proceded to weld a bolt at a 90 degree angle from the rod in order to use a skateboard wheel bearing, so it would roll easily on the flat piece of sheet and not drag I works awesome and is smooth as butter!!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

You ARE the Master of Mickey Mouse - but I mean it in the most complimentary and an EXCELLENT way! The more I see of your truck, the more I like it.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Kim57

Very cool stuff.
Kim
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Purec4

Dude, you are too much! great work
Old 10-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
kustombrad

Here's how I did my stereo head unit install. Sorry I didn't get pics of the actual piece I made, but here's the pattern I used. All the bends are 90 degrees and all my measurements are on the cardboard. The center area is 4" tall. I made it out of some 16 gauge aluminum I had laying around, scribed the stereo mount/bracket in the center to cut out with a small cutoff wheel and the painted it black. I then screwed it into the dash with some 10/32's and it's not going anywhere!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
kustombrad

Now for the interior... I used some really cool sign plastic for the door panels and headliner that my friend Joe hooked me up with. This stuff bends and cuts great and I used a propane torch to heat it up for holding it's shape on the headliner! Alex and myself bounced around some cheap interior thoughts and he had a great idea about doing a race collage and using it for the headliner. Awesome idea, but how would it look with my mexican blanket colors idea I was thinking? So now LOTS more idea swapping about how we should we do it and how the 2 ideas will work together. I started collecting pics and put the whole collage thing together in Photoshop and tried to give it the old sepiatone (kinda beige and black instead of grey) look so it would have an vintage feel to it. Once I had it layed out how I thought it would work, my friend Joe printed it up on vehicle wrap vinyl. Here's how it came out... My friend Brian sewed up the seat with some brown vinyl and the blanket I gave him (it looks soooooo cool!) and Alex made the kick panels to finish it up! I scored some old Cal Custom door handles to really give it the vibe! I need to finish the carpet trim pieces at the door jambs and get some arm rests, but the interior is pretty much done!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
Purec4

Gets better with every post, you got some really cool ideas.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
mknittle

Quote:
Now for the interior... I used some really cool sign plastic for the door panels and headliner that my friend Joe hooked me up with. This stuff bends and cuts great and I used a propane torch to heat it up for holding it's shape on the headliner! Alex and myself bounced around some cheap interior thoughts and he had a great idea about doing a race collage and using it for the headliner. Awesome idea, but how would it look with my mexican blanket colors idea I was thinking? So now LOTS more idea swapping about how we should we do it and how the 2 ideas will work together. I started collecting pics and put the whole collage thing together in Photoshop and tried to give it the old sepiatone (kinda beige and black instead of grey) look so it would have an vintage feel to it. Once I had it layed out how I thought it would work, my friend Joe printed it up on vehicle wrap vinyl. Here's how it came out... My friend Brian sewed up the seat with some brown vinyl and the blanket I gave him (it looks soooooo cool!) and Alex made the kick panels to finish it up! I scored some old Cal Custom door handles to really give it the vibe! I need to finish the carpet trim pieces at the door jambs and get some arm rests, but the interior is pretty much done!
Looks great! the armrest/drink holder is cool.
where did you get the sign plastic? It looks like a good way to go for backing on upholstered panels.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #20
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Now for the interior... I used some really cool sign plastic for the door panels and headliner

Is the material you used Styreen?

I have some of this left over from a sign project I did. But I found it really hard to cut as the heat from the cutting tool more melted its way through than cut. The edges were really nasty when I was done. Ended up using something else for the project. I would be interesting in knowing what the material was and how you cut it.

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Indian113

This Truck is SO NEAT!!!! I'd love to see it in person,if I ever get to California I gotta look you UP.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
Kim57

It's really coming out nice. Looks like you'll have to have at the next Brothers truck show.
Kim
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
OrrieG

Interior put me over the top on the trampoline! What a great idea on the head liner and doors.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's beyond COOL!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Those ceiling and door panels are awesome!

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote