The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #376
KroAutomotiveInc

Re: 1964 gmc 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111380 View Post
Thanks!
no problem man glad some body likes it i always get people telling me i need smaller tire size and to drop the back end
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #377

Quote:
no problem man glad some body likes it i always get people telling me i need smaller tire size and to drop the back end
Yeah.I like it just as it is.Actually looks like a tough,mean truck.I think Ill do mine up with the same type of look.
BTW:I see you changed up the color a bit and added the white trim.Got any more pics with the updated paint?
111380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #378
KroAutomotiveInc

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #379
KroAutomotiveInc

still want to redo the gmc in white just seems to clash now
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #380
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

It looks even better in person!

I think you are right Kro, the red does look kind of out of place now.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #381

Hmm..I dont know.Im kinda liking the red lettering.Thats the nice thing about black and white:Technically nothing clashes with those "colors".So whether you leave the lettering as is,or change it up,its gonna look fine.

So whats left to do on her?I noticed in your older pics,she was a gloss black,with red piping on the front grill.etc..So I guess your just sort of experimenting to see what look you like best?.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #382
KroAutomotiveInc

well when i got the truck i was in high school so my skills in the area of knowing what the hell to do and not to do where just getting molded so i took lots of **** apart cut lots of stuff up for diff ideas i had ect the light bar being one of them so i ended up with a land cruiser grill out of my barn on there lol and just recently i have made buddys with a guy down the street who just happen to have a chrome gmc light bar and a org front bummper for sell and a 100 bucks for both i figured i would put her back to stock.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #383
KroAutomotiveInc

that newer bumper looked cool but never sat right
Old 09-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #384

Quote:
well when i got the truck i was in high school so my skills in the area of knowing what the hell to do and not to do where just getting molded so i took lots of **** apart cut lots of stuff up for diff ideas i had ect the light bar being one of them so i ended up with a land cruiser grill out of my barn on there lol and just recently i have made buddys with a guy down the street who just happen to have a chrome gmc light bar and a org front bummper for sell and a 100 bucks for both i figured i would put her back to stock.
So your pretty much self taught on the restoration stuff then?You do impressive work.Wish I had your talent,as I just discovered that my old truck has some bad rot in the rocker panels and bottom of doors.I think someone just painted over some mild rust about 30 years ago and it turned into a mess.I wouldnt even have noticed it had I not sanded off some of the paint.Im hopings its fixable.Id hate to have to haul the old rig off to the junk yard
Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #385
KroAutomotiveInc

Quote:
So your pretty much self taught on the restoration stuff then?You do impressive work.Wish I had your talent,as I just discovered that my old truck has some bad rot in the rocker panels and bottom of doors.I think someone just painted over some mild rust about 30 years ago and it turned into a mess.I wouldnt even have noticed it had I not sanded off some of the paint.Im hopings its fixable.Id hate to have to haul the old rig off to the junk yard
hey thank you and i guess im some what self taught my dad and my family for that matter just seems to have what it takes upstairs to do this type of work so i been out in the garage since i could walk watching my dad work on stuff so years of watching him and years of taking apart everything i owned is where i learned most my skills i also took 2 years of welding in school but i will say my old man has rarely touched ether of my trucks he will help when needed but he knows i can do it and that i hate others touching my truck lol

and your rockers and doors should'nt be a problem even if there tottaly gone the replacement rockers and bottom door strips are dirt cheap and if you got a welder and a grinder you can do it and if your new at it guess what you will learn metal work is an amazing thing because you can always grind it off or weld on more
Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #386

Quote:
hey thank you and i guess im some what self taught my dad and my family for that matter just seems to have what it takes upstairs to do this type of work so i been out in the garage since i could walk watching my dad work on stuff so years of watching him and years of taking apart everything i owned is where i learned most my skills i also took 2 years of welding in school but i will say my old man has rarely touched ether of my trucks he will help when needed but he knows i can do it and that i hate others touching my truck lol
The guys like yourself,who grew up around it and just get out there and do it always seem to be the best at it.Better than the guys who just wake up one day and decide to train for it later in life.

Quote:
and your rockers and doors should'nt be a problem even if there tottaly gone the replacement rockers and bottom door strips are dirt cheap and if you got a welder and a grinder you can do it and if your new at it guess what you will learn metal work is an amazing thing because you can always grind it off or weld on more
Well thats a relief.Mine arent totally gone.The rockers are gone on the inner panel and top (about an 8 inch area),but the outer seems to be solid.The top rot has spread mildly to the floor pan.My doors are rusty on the inside only.I scraped it and got all the loose rust off and it seems solid enough.I might try hitting them with some Por15 until I can afford to get it fixed right.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #387
KroAutomotiveInc

[QUOTE=111380;5595790]The guys like yourself,who grew up around it and just get out there and do it always seem to be the best at it.Better than the guys who just wake up one day and decide to train for it later in life.

yeah diffidently you learn and developed skills so much faster and better when your a child that a lot of times you could never reach later in your life i never realized till a few years ago why my dad always built my brother his trucks / cars and never helped me much past input and its because he actually thought me how to do it myself and my brother was never interested in it.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #388
KroAutomotiveInc

Been pondering the idea of selling this truck i was ok with the idea at first even got as far posting it put it up for 4000 obo and every single time i got in the truck its all i thought about the whole time i was driving it, was it not being there anymore gone forever so i decided i just couldn't sell it so i took down my add and thought about what to do with it.

i was just going to park the truck
Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #389
KroAutomotiveInc

sorry about the half post i been having **** posting on this one lately
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #390
KroAutomotiveInc

my first plan when i got the 4x4 was just to park the truck in my field and most likely sell it sooner or later

but my buddy down the road has a 1964 chevy with a 454 the truck is about 3 inchs off the ground and hes got some decent tread under the rear its the sickest truck ever but he has the coil rear end and he just has some drop coils back there and just the smallest boxed in c notch in the frame giving him a inch or two not to hit axle to frame and i just love how its set up and the look just grew on me after driving past his truck everyday going home from work.

so what im planing to do is do a similar set up but i want to do something my uncle kent did on his dodge dart witch is cut the axle tubes down and get shorter axles and then put the leafs on the bottom of the alxe witch will give me 4 inch of drop and allow me to get some fattys like my ex girl friends under there lol... i would also box the frame in and do the small notch in the frame for the axle.

up front i will take it down by cutting a half inch to a inch of the coil spring

the hole bed set up needs to be redone better with square tubing and any adjustment needed for tires its also a half inch to a inch to far back from the cab ops...

also inside is a pain in my back literally! body drops make your truck "look" lower but your really losing cab space and im 6'6 i took out 4 1/2 inchs i know bright idea lol so the only thing that i think will get me at the right angle would be to get a small bucket seat in there say a 60's for mustang bucket on no mounts right to the floor all the way back and down mabe even cut the floor out and make drop down pans for the mounts

and the motor i want to rebuild it beef it up a bit inside do the intake for a 4 barrel and do the dual exhaust out the driver side in fornt of back tire

ill paint everything again and i will be set up by then in the garage to start spraying with the gun!

ill also do all the body work and panels needed

and then just think the 1960 will be ready for her full redo after i have some fun this winter in her

Last edited by KroAutomotiveInc; 09-18-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #391
KroAutomotiveInc

a picture i liked
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #392

Quote:
but my buddy down the road has a 1964 chevy with a 454 the truck is about 3 inchs off the ground and hes got some decent tread under the rear its the sickest truck ever but he has the coil rear end and he just has some drop coils back there and just the smallest boxed in c notch in the frame giving him a inch or two not to hit axle to frame and i just love how its set up and the look just grew on me after driving past his truck everyday going home from work.

so what im planing to do is do a similar set up
Sounds interesting..I know a guy who has a 454 in his 79 short bed.Mean motor..Whatever you do though,I wouldnt sell this truck...Also if you do upgrades and such,be sure to document them here.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #393
KroAutomotiveInc

Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #394
KroAutomotiveInc

my dads doing the exhaust on his car so he had to barrow my truck the other day and i got to see the truck drive away and come back for the first time i couldn't believe how wide it was when it came around the corner it was taking up the hole lane i swear lol
Old 09-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #395

Quote:
i got to see the truck drive away and come back for the first time i couldn't believe how wide it was when it came around the corner it was taking up the hole lane i swear lol
Lol..Yeah.I know what you mean.Before I got my truck,Id only seen these trucks in photos.Then when I finally saw one in person,I was shocked at how big it looked.

BTW:That new scraped up old white bumper looks great on your rig.Much better than the odd fitting chrome one.So is this truck 100% completed now,or is it still a work in progress?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #396
KroAutomotiveInc

Quote:
Lol..Yeah.I know what you mean.Before I got my truck,Id only seen these trucks in photos.Then when I finally saw one in person,I was shocked at how big it looked.

BTW:That new scraped up old white bumper looks great on your rig.Much better than the odd fitting chrome one.So is this truck 100% completed now,or is it still a work in progress?

yeah i liked the bumper all beat up gives it a cool look and no ive decided what my plan is with my trucks i am going to get the 4x4 on the road pull the 64 in the garage and pull it apart do the leaf spring thing and cut the alxe tubes down i also want to pull the motor rebuild it and then put it in the 4x4 and then move the 350 over to the 64 for some fun lol
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #397
KroAutomotiveInc

its getting cold here in utah and my heater had stopped working ended up being a little black rock? lol anyway also ripped the bench out just not happy with it trying a higher quality bucket seat still tight but feels better on my back so far

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #398
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Looks good Kro, but the passenger seat doesn't look very comfy!

What is that seat out of?

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #399
Zane M

One thing about your truck, it is unique.
I saw you a couple of weeks ago getting gas at the Holiday on 90th by Club 90, and yesterday driving up 94th.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #400
KroAutomotiveInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Looks good Kro, but the passenger seat doesn't look very comfy!

What is that seat out of?

lol yeah didnt get that side finished last night but i figured as long as the driver sided is all finished i can still drive it if i have to

my dad got the seat out of the junk yard a few years ago so i dont know the model but the seat beats say gm on em so probably 90's pick up