The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #401
funkytechmonkey

Re: Project "Funky Monkey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sleeper View Post
Did I read somewhere here that you got your tranny from Maddog?

yea that's where I got it from. they were good to deal with. and the owner is a really nice guy. my front seal is leaking a bit... I really hope they will cover that on the warranty.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #402
Rochlow

Looks great!
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #403
raull

buddy you are driving , thats awesome , im happy for you

71 c/10 step side 5.3 twin turbo

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485320

raul
raull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #404
ddubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post
took her out for a nice joy ride today. and man she handles good!!

I had tons of troubles the past few days, I post up some details tonight. just wanted to post up a semi_complete picture.
Just read your build thread. Man i have to congratulate you on a killer job. The truck looks absolutely Awesome. Keep up the great work.
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #405
zacthrasher

Hey I also just saw your thread, the truck looks great! Is it worth all the waiting and hard work when you finally get to start driving it?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #406
funkytechmonkey

It really has been a ton of fun. I can't wait to get up enough cash to have it repainted and all the imperfections taken out of it. I'm a little disapointed in the borla exhaust. I think I bought the wrong ones. These are crazy loud and sound almost like glasspacks. Changing them out is my next task.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #407
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Not wasting any time. It's lookin' really nice!!
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #408
oldman3

Truck looks great, hope you work out all the little problems.....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #409
funkytechmonkey

So here is a breakdown of my build from day one.... The pros and cons of my build and what I have learned from my mistakes. Happy reading.

I bought the 71 GMC a little over a year ago with plans of just doing a frame off restomod with a static drop. I was looking for a nice 67-68 c10 and couldnt find one in the shape I wanted.... This was my first mistake. I had my heart on a 67-68 and that is what I should have bought. I knew some of you guys change the 69-72 to look like the 67-68 so I thought it would have been pretty easy. My 71 had leaf springs (another reason I should not have purchased it) and the body was in really bad shape. Parts of the body actually had chicken wire holding the bondo on. I have learned now how to look and check for these hidden flaws. After getting on this forum I found all of these great builds and vendors to help me get this thing started. I figured I would get rid of the leaf springs and go with the trailing arms, I started working with CPP and ordering parts from them but 3 weeks passed and they hadnt even processed my order. They ticked me off so then I was introduced to Porterbuilt. Porterbuilt was the absolute best thing that ever happened to my build. Nate is incredible to work with and they build some good stuff. Nate showed me the dropmember and how easy it was to intall bags and run a rack & Pinion so I was sold. After tearing down the 71 and parting out pretty much everything but the frame and the cab I was ready to start putting her back together. I realized the leaf spring mounts will not work with the trailing arms (No0b) so I had to get another rearend. I bought one from a forum member Chuck, got a posi and 373 gear for it, rebuild kit and new 5 lug axels, then opened up the axel and it was rusted out. No oil in it for years...So I had my powdercoat guy media blast the inside, and powdercoat the outside. I mocked up most of the suspension took it back apart and then sent it off to sand blast and powder coat. This is another thing I learned from. I really wish I would have thought it out a little more and built out the complete suspension with all the break lines, air lines, rack and all suspension components. Reasoning... I could have mounted the tabs for the ebreak on the trailing arm before powdercoat, I also could have made mounting brackets for the elevel system and made better mounting holes to run the hard lines to the bags. Then had it all powdercoated. I was able to manage with what I had... but It would have been easier. The only problems I ran into with my suspension was with my frame. For some reason my frame was 1/2" wider then a normal frame. No idea why.. Nate at porterbuilt sent me all new crossmembers and that fixed that problem. After getting the suspension back together I then installed the airride stuff mounting everything inside the frame and having it look perfect. Then one of my buddies told me I will end up melting the air hoses with the exhaust so we had to take all that out and install it in the rear of the truck. I couldnt find anyone that had soft lines local so i just went to summit and purchased the aluminum lines... now that was fun. I ruined a ton of line bending them. I am not as happy with the second install of the airride as I was with the first.

To be continued.... going to bed now.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #410
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
So here is a breakdown of my build from day one.... The pros and cons of my build and what I have learned from my mistakes. Happy reading.

I bought the 71 GMC a little over a year ago with plans of just doing a frame off restomod with a static drop. I was looking for a nice 67-68 c10 and couldnt find one in the shape I wanted.... This was my first mistake. I had my heart on a 67-68 and that is what I should have bought. I knew some of you guys change the 69-72 to look like the 67-68 so I thought it would have been pretty easy. My 71 had leaf springs (another reason I should not have purchased it) and the body was in really bad shape. Parts of the body actually had chicken wire holding the bondo on. I have learned now how to look and check for these hidden flaws. After getting on this forum I found all of these great builds and vendors to help me get this thing started. I figured I would get rid of the leaf springs and go with the trailing arms, I started working with CPP and ordering parts from them but 3 weeks passed and they hadnt even processed my order. They ticked me off so then I was introduced to Porterbuilt. Porterbuilt was the absolute best thing that ever happened to my build. Nate is incredible to work with and they build some good stuff. Nate showed me the dropmember and how easy it was to intall bags and run a rack & Pinion so I was sold. After tearing down the 71 and parting out pretty much everything but the frame and the cab I was ready to start putting her back together. I realized the leaf spring mounts will not work with the trailing arms (No0b) so I had to get another rearend. I bought one from a forum member Chuck, got a posi and 373 gear for it, rebuild kit and new 5 lug axels, then opened up the axel and it was rusted out. No oil in it for years...So I had my powdercoat guy media blast the inside, and powdercoat the outside. I mocked up most of the suspension took it back apart and then sent it off to sand blast and powder coat. This is another thing I learned from. I really wish I would have thought it out a little more and built out the complete suspension with all the break lines, air lines, rack and all suspension components. Reasoning... I could have mounted the tabs for the ebreak on the trailing arm before powdercoat, I also could have made mounting brackets for the elevel system and made better mounting holes to run the hard lines to the bags. Then had it all powdercoated. I was able to manage with what I had... but It would have been easier. The only problems I ran into with my suspension was with my frame. For some reason my frame was 1/2" wider then a normal frame. No idea why.. Nate at porterbuilt sent me all new crossmembers and that fixed that problem. After getting the suspension back together I then installed the airride stuff mounting everything inside the frame and having it look perfect. Then one of my buddies told me I will end up melting the air hoses with the exhaust so we had to take all that out and install it in the rear of the truck. I couldnt find anyone that had soft lines local so i just went to summit and purchased the aluminum lines... now that was fun. I ruined a ton of line bending them. I am not as happy with the second install of the airride as I was with the first.

To be continued.... going to bed now.
You have done a great job on your build. What you describe above is "normal" from my point of view. I know because I did some of the same things. Unfortunately, that is how we learn. But just think about how much smarter we are now on the next one Keep your head up bro you're on the home stretch.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #411
Bennett68C10

Truck looks awesome Brian, congrats on being finished atleat for now lol. If i was you, I would drive the heck out of it until winter time then maybe change some things if you want.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #412
suspect

i just checked out your build from start. you sure did alot of work and parts quick. i'm impressed.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #413
funkytechmonkey

Well this afternoon the borlas are coming off and flowmaster 40s are going on. The borlas are the x2 series so, for me, they are too loud and have more of a glasspak sound to them. If anyone is interested in them I will have them up for sale on the classifieds tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #414
truckmanloco
Account Suspended

Quote:
after looking at this pic I think I have decided to go with a bigger notch. that small cnotch doesn't go low enough.
Its looking great and i definantly agree with you on the bigger notch.
truckmanloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #415
funkytechmonkey

Another lesson learned and a big rookie mistake....double flare all brake lines. I had a bunch of leaks after I got the master cylinder mounted up. Most of them on the banjo bolts. We went back and tried to redo the flares with a double flare and I think we screwed a few of them up. Now my front tee is leaking perfusely. It was fine until today when I drove it on the rack of the muffler shop. I must have jarred it loose. Well... Looks like ill be redoing my front brake lines again.

that's brake fluid coming out of the tee running down my very clean and nicely painted frame. sucks!!
another reason I should have powdercoated the frame instead of painting it.

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by funkytechmonkey; 04-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #416
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Silicone brake fluid is better on painted surfaces.
Did you originally "double flare" your steel lines?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #417
67cheby
67cheby

I hate learning lessons the hard way ! But it seems that is the only way I learn !!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #418
raull

this is what these toys do to you anyways , the want you to keep working on them !!!!

71 c/10 step side 5.3 twin turbo

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485320

raul
raull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #419
funkytechmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Silicone brake fluid is better on painted surfaces.
Did you originally "double flare" your steel lines?
I did not..... I had to go back and try to cut them back and then double flare them. I really hope I dont have to redo all my lines again.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #420
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Well this afternoon the borlas are coming off and flowmaster 40s are going on. The borlas are the x2 series so, for me, they are too loud and have more of a glasspak sound to them. If anyone is interested in them I will have them up for sale on the classifieds tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny, I took off my F.M. 40's and put on glas packs because I thought the Flowmasters were too loud. Interested to hear how you like the swap
Mike

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #421
dnd1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by raull View Post
this is what these toys do to you anyways , the want you to keep working on them !!!!
HAHA!! Isn't that the truth.
dnd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #422
funkytechmonkey

I dropped the truck off this morning to a local race shop called Balanced Performance. They are going to hook her up to a dyno and try to tune her a little bit. Hopefully that will fix my timing and power issues. I also talked to them about the brake lines. They make brake lines for these race cars so they should be able to fix what I screwed up. Hopefully there will not be any problems there.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #423
eldogg

WOW Son!! I haven't looked at your thread lately, You have been working your tail off on that thing and it looks great! Talk to you soon....
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #424
funkytechmonkey

Eric I may need to ride up to your shop and talk to you about this motor. We put it on the dyno at Balanced Performance on Friday and I didn't get the numbers I was looking for. We got it tuned up pretty good but its still very slugish. We got it to about 240 hp and 325 fp and then started messing with the timing now I'm around 218 hp. It's that crate 355 that I put a TBI on, aluminum heads, roller rockers, and hardened pushrods. When I try to get on it I feel like its really struggling to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #425
eldogg

No problem. Just let me know.
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote