The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
bajabob

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Kab
How many times do we have to tell you to stop posting pics of your sedan !!!! How can we get any work done here when we keep having to stop and look at that thing ?????
You've been bad, now go to your garage and stay there, dont come out until dinner !!!!!!!!
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
You've been bad, now go to your garage and stay there, dont come out until dinner !!!!!!!!
LOL. I'm trying to sneak out to the garage at this moment, but I'm trying not to let the wife see me.LOL I think she wants to go to the movies.lol I'm trying to run out and get dirty so its too much of a hassle to go.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Yeah the money is in the coupes I don't want the sedan. I'm sure the fact that a lot of the mods were done affected the price but still it was not worth the 18 grand maybe 8 grand.lol But times were good then and now it's a recession, so I sure the price has drop a lot now but then again so has our job security.lol But the coupe is the one.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Kabwe,
As much as I LOVE the tri5+2 trucks I am a fool for a '40 Ford truck. I liked my '46 Chevy very much but it just didn't have the umph a '40 Ford give me. Yeah, I know that's heresy on a Chevy forum and I am a Chevy guy through and through. There are VERY few Fords I like but the '40's; both cars and trucks are in that group.

Besides my Dad's (if I could ever find it) balck over red/orange and off white '55 Chevy two door hardtop Belair, my Lotto cars would be my '55 big window done over-the-top gorgeous, a mildly built flathead powered '40 Ford pickup with steelies, rings and caps, and a Papaya yellow hi boy with blown flathead on Halibrands. Dreams, all dreams.....
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyx View Post
I like your choice of cars that you take photos of,there the ones i usually look at when at a car nite and say wow nice.The body and paint has to be well done but what makes it great is a interior that looks like it cost a fortune.It's really something to see how a professional interior guy can make the car a complete package.Watching Boyd Coddington he used a guy called Gabe who put out some nice interiors,i can only imagine what he charges $$$$$$$$
Man I just a sick carnut that has been nuts about cars for a long time.lol I'm just a wanna be streetrodder as you can tell from the kind of cars I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Kabwe,
I liked my '46 Chevy very much but it just didn't have the umph a '40 Ford give me.
Man you have to have vision and put the umph in them like this. There is a heck of a lot of umph in this truck. I saw this at a car show last month man I would take one of these anytime.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-07-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Do you have a picture of the rear of the orange truck? That thing is sexy. Want to see the taillights.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
...Man you have to have vision and put the umph in them like this. There is a heck of a lot of umph in this truck. I saw this at a car show last month man I would take one of these anytime.

Yeah, I grew to like my '46 better than I did when I originally bought it. I had some money burnig a hole in my pocket from the sale of a previous project and the '46 fell in my lap in nice condition.

The orange truck IS gorgeous, I'm truly impressed and I'd be proud as hell to won it but I think the truth is I'm more of a "rod-storation" guy than a full on show car/truck guy. Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY, REALLY impressed and like the show style vehicles but for my personal taste I like the old body styles mostly left original with updated mechanicals and just enough creature comforts to make them enjoyable - AC, power steering and brakes, MAYBE power windows if I can make it look original.

Oh, and my "previous project". Still kinda hurts to know she's in The Netherlands now -'76 Porsche 911S.

As you're always telling Larry (Tri5Nerd) you gotta stay true to your vision. So, I guess that's MY vision. If I had your fabrication chops maybe my vision would be different, I don't know!

(Now, I wonder if I could put a '55 Belair dash in my truck...hmmm....)

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Dan,

There is nothing wrong with your vision and lots of people feel the same way. It would be a sad world if everyone liked the same things. The cool thing is to have your own taste and don't copy because of a fad or lack of creativity. Anybody can copy another persons ideas stick to your own vision of what you want your truck to look like.

As for me, the only thing I want stocked is my liquor cabinet.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
Dan,

There is nothing wrong with your vision and lots of people feel the same way. It would be a sad world if everyone liked the same things. The cool thing is to have your own taste and don't copy because of a fad or lack of creativity. Anybody can copy another persons ideas stick to your own vision of what you want your truck to look like.

As for me, the only thing I want stocked is my liquor cabinet.lol
I've got a stocked liquor cabinet and you never drank anything but juice. . I prefer a drink with a Gentleman anyway.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
I've got a stocked liquor cabinet and you never drank anything but juice. . I prefer a drink with a Gentleman anyway.
That was just mean and uncalled for.lol
Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
That was just mean and uncalled for.lol
That Gentleman's name is Jack.lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Lol!!
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
R.A.D
Account Suspended

I since a state of neglect going on here
R.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
What was the product that you used to remove the rust off your frame and parts? I remember you saying that is was something from home depot and how does it work?
I use Home Depot's Klean Strip's Philosophic Prep and Etch. It does a good job but is messy.
I mix it 50/50 in a stray bottle and stray the frame and wrap it in plastic. As long as it remains wet it is active so it took a couple of applications. Rinse with water blow dry and then I wire wheeled the residue clean with wax and grease remover and primed and painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.D View Post
I since a state of neglect going on here
Your senses are off, there is no neglect going on over here just a lack of time and funding.lol
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
R.A.D
Account Suspended

Quote:
I use Home Depot's Klean Strip's Philosophic Prep and Etch. It does a good job but is messy.
I mix it 50/50 in a stray bottle and stray the frame and wrap it in plastic. As long as it remains wet it is active so it took a couple of applications. Rinse with water blow dry and then I wire wheeled the residue clean with wax and grease remover and primed and painted.

Your senses are off, there is no neglect going on over here just a lack of time and funding.lol
easy,easy... i was lacking some attention lol
R.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
oldman3

Quote:
there is no neglect going on over here just a lack of time and funding.lol
I think we all have gone through this step at least once if not more...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
apache200

Kabwe do you have any pics of how you finished the strikers on your doors?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I don't have anymore pics other than the ones I've already posted. I have not worked on the cab in a while so its pretty much the same as in the earlier pic.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
I don't have anymore pics other than the ones I've already posted. I have not worked on the cab in a while so its pretty much the same as in the earlier pic.
You cut me Sherk! You cut me deep!!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
apache200

Ok thank you
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
apache200

how did you delete the fender bolts from inside the bedsides?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache200 View Post
how did you delete the fender bolts from inside the bedsides?
Yeah, you noticed that did you?lol

What I did was buy a bunch of carriage bolts, and washers that the square part could not go through. Then I installed the carriage bolts with the washers and nuts on the outside and tack the washers in place. Then I cut off the head of the carriage bolt and grind it flush and welded it closed. This way when the tighten the bolt it has the washer for extra strength so the sheetmetal will not buckle. I will also be using Nylon Insert Lock nuts so that I don't have to really torque down and it still will not back off the bolt.

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-25-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
OrrieG

If I am understanding what you did maybe an easier way would have been to use an elevator bolt. They come in two styles one with a square section at the head like a carriage bolt, another with a prong thing (used for wood that can be ground off) with a round shaft. I have used them on inside of the firewall and cab where I need a threaded shaft but did not want to drill the metal.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Yeah, you noticed that did you?lol

Then I installed the carriage bolts with the washers and nuts on the outside and tack the washers in place. Then I cut off the head of the carriage bolt and grind it flush and welded it closed.
I have seen that before on an episode of Trucks. They did the same process to make a smooth bumper. Cool!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
If I am understanding what you did maybe an easier way would have been to use an elevator bolt. They come in two styles one with a square section at the head like a carriage bolt, another with a prong thing (used for wood that can be ground off) with a round shaft. I have used them on inside of the firewall and cab where I need a threaded shaft but did not want to drill the metal.
Well the way I've done it was pretty easy, but thats not to say its the best way its just the way I've done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
I have seen that before on an episode of Trucks. They did the same process to make a smooth bumper. Cool!
Yeah I use the same procedure when smoothing a bumper its a old school thing I've learned from hanging around old school rodders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache200 View Post
thanks for the help!!! I hope my bedside turns out as good as yours
No problem and I'm sure it will.