The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #426
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: My Truck

Was trying to see how much work I'd have in getting the studs changed out. Since the rear was already on the stand, I couldn't resist tossing the new one's in for a photo op. The wheels aren't even sitting on or against the axle so the truck will probably sit a little lower over the tire lip, and the wheel will be slightly forward than it is in the picture. Axle and drum will be painted black also.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #427
TwiggyTheDrummer

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #428
irish1966

Looks sick man. Keep up the good work!!!

66 LWB Fleet (on hold)
64 LWB Fleet (daily driver)
65 SWB Fleet (almost finished as a driver)
64 SWB Fleet (just started - "Tommys Hot Rods" tribute truck)
Nothing worth doing, is easy.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #429
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Looken good.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #430
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thanks guys! I'll keep it going.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #431
TwiggyTheDrummer

Making Some Progress!

Rear end's up on jack stands and am waiting on two more stands to do the same to the front. Pulling studs off tonight!

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 02-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #432
TwiggyTheDrummer

Make that tomorrow evening on the studs. While it's up I'm also going to paint the suspension/rolling gear and replace the brake pads and wheel cylinders.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #433
Chapstr's65

Nice color. I had a motorcycle painted that color and two months later she totaled it. I am sure you have better luck boss.
Posted via Mobile Device

65 SWB step-side / 383 stroker / TH350 / 4:10 gears / static drop 4 1/2" front 5" rear.
Chapstr's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #434
TwiggyTheDrummer

In Progress

Picked up another pair of jack stands and now the whole things off the ground.

Tire really was flat.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #435
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapstr's65 View Post
Nice color. I had a motorcycle painted that color and two months later she totaled it. I am sure you have better luck boss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man! And I definitely hope so.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #436
TwiggyTheDrummer

Question Help on Studs!

Finally finished getting the last drum off late last night. Me and Grandpa were out there till about midnight prying that thing over engaged brakes and wishing the damn adjuster wasn't rusted tight. Finally got it off and got all of the drums turned this morning. Unfortunately my Grandpa informed me that the rear end in the truck is not the original one and I soon realized that the splined part of the rear's wheel stud is larger than the front end but still has a 7/16-20 bolt. Now I'm playing hell trying to find a long enough stud that will work on the rear end and give me the contact that I need. Every local store including Napa seems to either not have any luck or just doesn't carry any long studs with that spline size without a big shoulder.

So basically, how long of a shoulder could I get away with and still have plenty of area to snug up to full torque?

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 02-26-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #437
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: Help on Studs!

Damn thats looking good! Nice work!
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #438
TwiggyTheDrummer

Re: Help on Studs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Damn thats looking good! Nice work!
Thanks man!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #439
TwiggyTheDrummer

Well today I ended up doing a 2-hour parts run around town just getting all the brake parts and trying to pull together wheel studs for the rear end. Finally got lucky at Advance and found some that matched up so I bought them out. Waiting on NAPA for the rest of the front wheel studs/brake parts and Advance for the rest of the rear studs. Should get all the parts picked up and finished up with the new wheels on by the end of the week.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #440
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Checkin' in. You've come along way. NICE
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #441
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thanks Alan! And I'm glad that it is. Starting on the wiring as soon as I knock out the brakes!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #442
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Thanks Alan! And I'm glad that it is. Starting on the wiring as soon as I knock out the brakes!

I'll check back soon.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #443
Vics63Chevy

Just finished reading every page and your truck looks awesome keep it up man! Nice shop too!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #444
TwiggyTheDrummer

Thanks Vic! Glad you enjoyed it and I'll keep it coming man!

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 03-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #445
TwiggyTheDrummer

Went to the Jacksonville Zoo today with the girlfriend but dad and a friend are installing all new brakes today and finishing up the rear studs. Should have the lug nuts, front studs, and wheels on Monday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 05-15-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #446
TwiggyTheDrummer

Cool Progress!

This is how she sits!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #447
TwiggyTheDrummer

And the pictures don't come close!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #448
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Question Re: My Truck

How did you make out on cowl hood?
Mine is flakeing off pieces, and start seeing pin holes now.
Posted via Mobile Device
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #449
TwiggyTheDrummer

About the same as you, just can't polish a turd. It still has pinholes everywhere, doesn't line up worth a damn with the body, has a broken nut in one of the hinge bolt pockets, and the bolt has almost pushed through the top surface of the hood. I'm trying to find a decent steel hood for her because I really didn't want a cowl or fiberglass hood in the first place. Might just break down and order a nice one from out west and try and sale this one and deal with the loss. Just sucks because that's a lot of money down the drain and it hurts more than multiple kicks in the balls. Could have used that money in other areas on the truck. I figure it's better than riding down the road and the damn thing explode into pieces, kill me or someone else and destroy the truck.

The funny thing is, I actually called US Body the other day and they strangely quit manufacturing that hood.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 04-29-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #450
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Hmmm, that's kinda odd......isnt it? you sell a part, that part doesnt meet with even decent reviews, customers complain and then you stop making said part....weird huh?

I love the color of your truck, hell run that dude with out a hood for a while, I would!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote