The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #426
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

Patina paint should only be done for your own, not one you want to sell. Color should be a popular original, like the blue you did that blazer in or drews crewcab blue. Black is good but the body work has to be very good and it will take more wetsanding after to make it real nice. Reds are always popular.

Doing it nicer may not take much more money, but will definitely take a lot more time. I would do as much to increase the value as possible with the least amount of time involved to reach that point. Adding good options is an easy way to do that and a decent paint job without having to wet sand 15 times between coats will do just fine. If there is nothing wrong with the brakes and suspension, I'd leave them alone if you're just selling it. The buyer would probably rather have the option of what to do with it.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #427
71Sleeper

Where to start?
New paint or patina: You are going to sell this truck and you want to appeal to the largest market which IMHO would be with new paint. The patina look only appeals to a small group of hot rod enthusiasts. I really like the patina look but most of my friends view any ads that are listed as patina or rat rod must be a rust bucket.

Now how much profit do you need to make and how soon do you need the the money? IMHO if I could double my profit by spending a 1/4 of that profit I would. Even if you spend a $1k more you still have the potential to gain $3k.

My question: How is the market on our trucks in the $7-$8k range opposed to $3-$4k range. My truck is a nice 95% rust free truck that had a running 307 that really only needed to be refreshed for $4k. But I have seen a few that where real nice and running for the $2-$3k that I wish had bought instead.

I can't imagine trying to make a profit off something that is a hobby of my that I can not resist putting my own taste or twist in. Once that happens I would be to attached and probably couldn't sell. I know you will be able to turn a profit with what ever decision you make. This was just my .02 worth. Good luck
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #428
71Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Patina paint should only be done for your own, not one you want to sell. Color should be a popular original, like the blue you did that blazer in or drews crewcab blue. Black is good but the body work has to be very good and it will take more wetsanding after to make it real nice. Reds are always popular.

Doing it nicer may not take much more money, but will definitely take a lot more time. I would do as much to increase the value as possible with the least amount of time involved to reach that point. Adding good options is an easy way to do that and a decent paint job without having to wet sand 15 times between coats will do just fine. If there is nothing wrong with the brakes and suspension, I'd leave them alone if you're just selling it. The buyer would probably rather have the option of what to do with it.
Yes, well said. Agreed!!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #429
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

All I have to say Jonathan is....please refer to post #62 and your reply in post #66

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #430
68 SHORT-STEP'N
SLOW POKE

What he said ^^^

piece by piece ,
day by day ,
I will restore this truck ,
before the 100th anniversary !!!

68 SHORT-STEP'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #431
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

haha geoff.

yeah he said he was going to keep it cheap and simple!

thats generally yeilds the best profits.
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #432
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I may be completely wrong on this, but it doesn't appear to me that you are placing any value on your time in the equation. I don't know how much money you actually have tied up in the truck right now, but you've been working on it for two months already, and by the time you paint it and get it sold, it's going to be another two months before you put cash in the bank.

Let's say you sell it for $8,000 and have no cash in it. Deducting $1500 for your next project, that means you will have earned $6500 for 4 months work. That works out to around $10 an hour -

If you want to make money in these trucks, you've got to buy them right and flip them, or get lined up where you do restos for people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #433
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I really don't have a lot of cash or time tied up in this one yet. the main expense is the new parts I just bought...but I should be able to sell the old parts to recoup over half of what I spent.

I would love to line up some projects and thought about putting this on craigslist with a "name your color and options" offer and see if I get any bites....

I definitely would rather find them like my blazer that was 70% done and came with a TON of parts to sell. But projects like that may be a once in a lifetime deal.

This truck will be a really nice driver when completed and I do look forward to having one to keep and enjoy....but I enjoy working on them as much or more than driving them...
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #434
70LonghornCST

Jonathan,
I would also recomend painting the truck. Something that simple can increase its potential value by 2X. Many folks buy vehicles that are nearly complete because they lack the skills to do any body work/paint or don't have the confidence to learn. So, they buy something that looks nice and that they can hang new parts on here and there. Adding a tach dash may be worth it if you can bump up the total cost for what you can sell the tach dash seperately (or more).
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #435
litew8

You could always compromise. Go 1/2 way. Fix the truck up so that it's ready for paint - then sell it.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #436
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
You could always compromise. Go 1/2 way. Fix the truck up so that it's ready for paint - then sell it.
That's probably a good idea for someone who's only option for paint is high $$$, but the guy helping me with the welding (glenn) owns a body shop and has offered to help me paint the truck. It'll be painted in a high dollar booth using high dollar guns and paint supplies for cheap...so it's a no brainer to paint it....just need to decide a color. Leaning towards blue or red.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #437
71Sleeper

Blue!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #438
XxCHEVYMANxX

x2 blue. Are you talking factory colors or....?
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #439
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
That's probably a good idea for someone who's only option for paint is high $$$, but the guy helping me with the welding (glenn) owns a body shop and has offered to help me paint the truck. It'll be painted in a high dollar booth using high dollar guns and paint supplies for cheap...so it's a no brainer to paint it....just need to decide a color. Leaning towards blue or red.
I understand what you're saying (especially the cheap part - you'd be surprised who/what/cost effective - that has been done with mine. I don't write about it though). Just meant (compromise 1/2 way defined) that if you had it cleaned up nice, ready to paint literally (gives the buyer willing to paint more options, more easy), it might fetch a higher premium without the added cost/labor of actually painting. Not sure how your body/paint guy would appreciate doing the work only to have it be sold for profit (not his, but his time/effort). Oh, and x3 4 blue
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #440
VA72C10
VA72C10

I am leaning towards factory color.

He's fine with me selling it after paint. He knows I've been out of work since late January and doing what I can to pay the bills....I am super appreciative of all his help and have been giving him parts he needs in return (even though he hasn't been asking for them and has always tried to refuse the parts or pay for them)

The problem to me with having it ready for paint w/out painting is to get it ready for paint I'll be taking glass out, door guts are already out, wiring is off the firewall, rad support area, etc....

And right now unfinished projects are selling for dirt cheap. So I've decided to paint it. Just need to decide a color and get to work I still will try to post an ad for someone to buy it before paint with the paint of their choice being part of the deal.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #441
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

I say 2 tone factory blue and white

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #442
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
I say 2 tone factory blue and white
I've thought about that...white on the roof and the around the grille only though...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #443
FrankieD

Thought I would stop by and see what your project is. Looks like it will be nice truck with some paint on it. I am partial to the 69 / 70 trucks because I had a White over Black 69 C/10 Custom Deluxe in 69 ( showing my age ) Blue and white would be good like mine without the lower white. The paint job will make it or break it that is why I bought mine, the body work was done so I over looked the rest of the work that it needed. I am glad I found the one I have I hate working with rust, on these trucks it seems like once they start it gets into everything.

I don't think you can do a project and figure on making money especially on your labor unless it’s a quick spray and sell. Drew would have to get well over $100k to cover his time and $$$ put in his.

Get some ZEP Industrial cleaner and put it on straight and let it soak then pressure wash it to clean up the old grease it works wonders .
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #444
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks for checking out the build. I've done well on past projects. I know I don't pay myself much per hour, but I enjoy working on the trucks too so I don't count all the time

I am going to try the Zep cleaner...I've tried easy off oven cleaner with okay success but from your build the zep looks like the way to go!!!

The paint job will be top quality because it will be done by a professional using top quality paint and baked in his booth. His work looks great on all his vehicles and the customer vehicles.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #445
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

zep products work great. been using them at work for many many years. i see they are now available at home depot.
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #446
FrankieD

My truck and parts I see as a freebee because of the money I make from Scrapping and re-selling cars, trucks & parts I get cheep plus my snow plowing. I use to put all the side money in our joint account but it was never there when I needed it so I opened my own account and low and behold I always have money in the bank. I sneak a little house money on small parts but all the big stuff comes out of my stash. As far as the labor I don't count it because I am doing for my self so like you said it is cheap
The wife freaked a few years ago when I laid out $5500 to buy a boat.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #447
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
zep products work great. been using them at work for many many years. i see they are now available at home depot.
yep, that's where I'll be getting it from...they've actually had them since the late 90's when I was working there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
My truck and parts I see as a freebee because of the money I make from Scrapping and re-selling cars, trucks & parts I get cheep plus my snow plowing. I use to put all the side money in our joint account but it was never there when I needed it so I opened my own account and low and behold I always have money in the bank. I sneak a little house money on small parts but all the big stuff comes out of my stash. As far as the labor I don't count it because I am doing for my self so like you said it is cheap
The wife freaked a few years ago when I laid out $5500 to buy a boat.
I keep the cash I get from selling truck parts but recently that's been the house money, gas money, food money.....

I also use paypal from parts sales to buy parts whenever possible...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #448
VA72C10
VA72C10

It's been raining and with the bed full of boxes of new parts and my seat I can't wheel it out...plus no hood....

I did get my power steering bracket in and have been working on restoring some parts to sell to fund the last needed purchases...

I also got a perfect set of trailing arms with new bushings....still trying to decide if I re-do the suspension or not...and if I do...do I lower it 3/4 or 5 or keep it stock height???

Decisions, decisions
Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #449
71Sleeper

Hope the power steering bracket works for you. I like the 3/4 drop myself, well thats my plans for mine.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #450
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A moderate drop should be fine. Mine is just a static drop with 3 1/2" springs and many would think it was stock hieght if they didn't really know these trucks. Depends on the wheels and tires that go under it. What are your plans for those?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote