The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #426
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Very nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #427
67ctener

No way don't paint your grade 8 bolts. I think it contrast the black and looks really good
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #428
oldman3

Frame is looking great...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #429
67cheby
67cheby

Nice work, looks Beautiful !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #430
67ctener

I ended up trimming my frame rails for the big block. Used a jigsaw and it worked out great with the powdercoat
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #431
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Hey Gdavis, I have seen many many people use spacers or washers to push the gear box out without problem. On the other hand I have seen a few rare reports or shimmy and vibration in the steering caused (allegedly) by the center link being off center and the drag link and pitman arm not being straight when driving straight. I am no expert on steering though that is just what I read on a couple threads here. I just decided that is the way GM did it in '68 on so I did it their way. Assuming I would eliminate the chance of having issues with it once the truck was assembled and driving then having to do this after causing me a big headache. Your truck is looking great buddy!

While I'm on here: mini update

Motor mount stands on and some sunlight on the shiny tractor paint
You might have a thought there about the drag links off center. Never thought of that. I think I will denple my frame while waiting for my parts. I am going to pick up a ton of parts in St. Peterburg, Fl. I am trying to save on the shipping. I will pick up about 2000.00 in parts. The shipping would be at least half of that if I ordered them. Anyway thanks for the information about vibration and noise. I don't want any head ackes in the future.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #432
gdavis

My thoughts DON"T paint the bolts they look great.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #433
gdavis

On page 17 I notice that you cut 1/2 inch off your rails where the engine goes. I am planing on putting headers on my 350. Would the 1/2 inch be a problem or are you running over size headers? Just thing ahead again.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #434
chevy88

Nice build, keep up the hard work
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #435
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I wouldn't paint them. Bought a couple t-shirts and came back with some ideas. Very cool to see the level of detail some of these people go to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like fun, I want to go someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Very nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I like your new truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
No way don't paint your grade 8 bolts. I think it contrast the black and looks really good
Posted via Mobile Device
I decided to leave them alone, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Frame is looking great...Jim
THanks Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Nice work, looks Beautiful !
THanks Mike, your wifes blazer is shaping up nice! been to busy to comment lately. Will get back to it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
I ended up trimming my frame rails for the big block. Used a jigsaw and it worked out great with the powdercoat
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool glad that worked out for you. I cut the pillars out this weekend. I will contact you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
You might have a thought there about the drag links off center. Never thought of that. I think I will denple my frame while waiting for my parts. I am going to pick up a ton of parts in St. Peterburg, Fl. I am trying to save on the shipping. I will pick up about 2000.00 in parts. The shipping would be at least half of that if I ordered them. Anyway thanks for the information about vibration and noise. I don't want any head ackes in the future.
Sounds like a fun shopping trip! Have fun.

Quote:
My thoughts DON"T paint the bolts they look great.
I am going to leave them alone

Quote:
On page 17 I notice that you cut 1/2 inch off your rails where the engine goes. I am planing on putting headers on my 350. Would the 1/2 inch be a problem or are you running over size headers? Just thing ahead again.
My truck came with cheapo parts store headers and yes they were rubbing. I cant say if yours will but I have seen many 67 frames notched for headers. I just figured better now than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
Nice build, keep up the hard work
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Looking great!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank You MJ!

No progress since last time, My Porterbuilt track bar will be here in a couple days and all suspension parts go out to get powdercoated. I am sick of cleaning prepping and painting parts and I don't have time or patience to mess with painting right now. Sometimes I think I must be a bonehead, why do I think that going to college while working 50+ hrs a week while raising an almost 3 yr old and having a pregnant wife is a good idea? You know when people told you it is easier to finish your degree when you are young? well they are right. My brain hurts, Calculus and Psychology Sure I can handle it, If I seem a little extra nutty lately it might just be the lack of sleep... Going to bed now to get 4 hrs of sleep

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #436
sduckworth13

Wow, your doing a great job, everything looks great.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #437
TchncnDen

Quote:
No progress since last time, My Porterbuilt track bar will be here in a couple days and all suspension parts go out to get powdercoated. I am sick of cleaning prepping and painting parts and I don't have time or patience to mess with painting right now. Sometimes I think I must be a bonehead, why do I think that going to college while working 50+ hrs a week while raising an almost 3 yr old and having a pregnant wife is a good idea? You know when people told you it is easier to finish your degree when you are young? well they are right. My brain hurts, Calculus and Psychology Sure I can handle it, If I seem a little extra nutty lately it might just be the lack of sleep... Going to bed now to get 4 hrs of sleep
I did the same thing, minus the kids. That must add a huge curveball. Funny thing is after I was done I didn't know what to do so I took a bunch of random classes and slowly tapered off. Now I don't think I would want to do it again even though I stopped at an associates. What are you going for? Some type of engineering I assume from you posts and mindset.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #438
Mustard72

That is quite a load! You must have a pretty understanding wife, too. I got a mechanical engineering degree when I was younger, but I know I'd do a lot better at it now that I'm older and have more discipline. I, too, was guessing you were getting an engineering degree, although back when I got mine, they weren't as concerned enough about making well rounded engineers to make you take a psychology class. My humanities/social studies classes were things like "The Automobile In America", "Philosophy Of Technology", and "Canadian History"... Yeah, my people skills are great...

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #439
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Thanks, You are doing a fine job too! I have been watching you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
I did the same thing, minus the kids. That must add a huge curveball. Funny thing is after I was done I didn't know what to do so I took a bunch of random classes and slowly tapered off. Now I don't think I would want to do it again even though I stopped at an associates. What are you going for? Some type of engineering I assume from you posts and mindset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
That is quite a load! You must have a pretty understanding wife, too. I got a mechanical engineering degree when I was younger, but I know I'd do a lot better at it now that I'm older and have more discipline. I, too, was guessing you were getting an engineering degree, although back when I got mine, they weren't as concerned enough about making well rounded engineers to make you take a psychology class. My humanities/social studies classes were things like "The Automobile In America", "Philosophy Of Technology", and "Canadian History"... Yeah, my people skills are great...
Sorry about the whining there I got a little rusty on some algebra and starting in on calculus I got a little pissy but my memory finally kicked in. Yes I am attempting to get an Engineering degree. When I look through the college catalogs it is the only thing I can relate to being a mechanical minded person and having strong math skills. english not so much, the wife had to help me edit my essays half a dozen times before they were complete. I work with engineers now in the exciting world of HVAC . Engineers design new products or modify existing models to meet new federal energy efficiency standards and I am the monkey that builds them and then the "models" go through testing in our labs. My title is "Model Maker" sound silly. Psychology is one of the few approved engineering course electives at OU, I wish I had the option of "The Automobile in America" that sounds like a good class. You did a fine job on that floor Mustard!

Here is the mini update! My Porterbuilt adjustable trac bar arrived today. Very nice quality. Their welds make mine look bad. Looks like I need to drill 3 holes for the frame side bracket and open 2 existing holes then this and all of my suspension parts go out for powder coating. I am mostly decided on a grey/silver for a nice contrast.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #440
67c10rustbuket

Just realized I started this just over a year ago, man I need to hurry it up! Slacker

Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #441
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Just realized I started this just over a year ago, man I need to hurry it up! Slacker
Seriously? With the schedule you have, I would say you are kicking a$$. Definitely getting a heck of a lot more done than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #442
suspect

Once you get your parts back from powdercoating, what kind of order are you going to continue on? rearend, rear suspension, front suspension, then wheels on for full rolling chassis, then set engine/trans on, then continue cab work?

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #443
sduckworth13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13

Thank you, I'm at a stand still for the moment on my project. Now I just troll other builds looking for ideas.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #444
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Seriously? With the schedule you have, I would say you are kicking a$$. Definitely getting a heck of a lot more done than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, Thanks, oh just beating myself up I guess. I am hard on myself. Thinking back I initially wanted to just fix the rust and drop a late drivetrain in and go from there. Being as I never have done a frame off before it seems that I should have done this much a lot quicker. I previously had "payment customs", you know customize a late model while making payments. This is much more involved! You know it looks so much easier when you spend two hours reading someone else's build than when you get into it yourself, especially with family,work, and everything else going on in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
Once you get your parts back from powdercoating, what kind of order are you going to continue on? rearend, rear suspension, front suspension, then wheels on for full rolling chassis, then set engine/trans on, then continue cab work?
Yep exactly, great Daniels think alike Well the rear end is fine for now, I will replace the axle shaft bearings and seals after it is a roller. Maybe get it rebuilt with a posi on down the road. Otherwise you nailed it. A guy could be more productive if he had planned an all out build from the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13

Thank you, I'm at a stand still for the moment on my project. Now I just troll other builds looking for ideas.
Thats what I do too, my only problem now is I don't have any time, well that and the weather. We are very busy at work probably average 56-60 hrs a week and doing school work 4-5 nights a week has killed my truck mojo again. You know I have used my (generic) dremel many times on the rust repair too, they do come in handy!

I didn't get my suspension parts to the powder coater yet because I had to drill holes in the frame for the Porter Built trac bar. I had to email Porterbuit about the mounting to make sure I got it right

. Note: There are not too many companies that will respond, much less email you pictures and walk you through an install. Most compaines forget you once you click the checkout button. Those companies also have "show" pictures on their website of their products and welds. You will not receive such nice parts but rather some kinda close-ish quality stuff. Porter Built is the only one to actually deliver the same quality that they show on their site. I speak from experience of having bought from many aftermarket companies of lowered/air ride suspension parts. Bravo to Porter Built!

So here is one little pic of my tiny progress. parts will be dropped off Tuesday to be cleaned and or,blasted,then powder coated. Argent silver?? Grey? check back for details!
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #445
Johnnyfever

How much time do you have left on the ME degree, by the way? I ended up with two, a CE and an EE, but that just make my educational experience an inch deep and a mile wide.....kinda like my car restoration skills. Jack of all trades and master of none.
Johnnyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #446
67ctener

Sent you a pm
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #447
scotts62
One day...

Sweet new parts

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #448
Bomp

I'm impressed or I mean IMPRESSED! I too am a victim of "little repairs", reading other builds, then full blown frame off.
With work, school, little helper and the impregnation thingy,.,, er ahh, your killin' it man.

Subscribed

For the cutie
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #449
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I've been looking for a good local powder coat place! What kind of turnaround time? Whozit?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #450
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfever View Post
How much time do you have left on the ME degree, by the way? I ended up with two, a CE and an EE, but that just make my educational experience an inch deep and a mile wide.....kinda like my car restoration skills. Jack of all trades and master of none.
I have a long time to go at the rate I learn 2 classes at a time. I guess almost 3 years to go if I were full time. I thought I should do something education wise once the economy crapped out just incase our plant gets sourced down to mexico.. who knows what the future holds? not me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Sweet new parts
Thanks Scott, welcome to the party !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
I'm impressed or I mean IMPRESSED! I too am a victim of "little repairs", reading other builds, then full blown frame off.
With work, school, little helper and the impregnation thingy,.,, er ahh, your killin' it man.

Subscribed

For the cutie
Thanks Count Bompula! The resto snowball ran me over. I dont know why she keeps getting pregnant? gee whiz! Ellie will love those smileys, especially the purple king and that last flower one. I will be sure to show her after church tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I've been looking for a good local powder coat place! What kind of turnaround time? Whozit?
Topps powder coating, off I35 & Pole rd right on the Moore/OKC border. They have great reviews and a nice shop but the turnaround is pretty slow right now. They said they are backlogged and quoted me 3 weeks. My parts are to be done this week (week 4). I have used other faster but lower quality places before. Their basic quote price is for any in stock single stage color where others quote you a black only price and charge more for colors.... They have some real nice samples and they can do some crazy multi stage colors. check out their gallery pics.

http://www.toppspowder.com/