The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #451
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Hmmm, that's kinda odd......isnt it? you sell a part, that part doesnt meet with even decent reviews, customers complain and then you stop making said part....weird huh?

I love the color of your truck, hell run that dude with out a hood for a while, I would!
Exactly! And I'm glad you dig the color man! I was hoping that it would be a shocker. between it and the wheels it's blinding when in the sunlight. As far as the hood goes, I really just want to get everything finished and do the things that I want to do to the truck the first time around and not have to keep going back and fixing the body and all that crap. Just ticks me off that I spent all that money on the piece of crap when I could have bought a real nice steel one from Arizona and had it shipped for as much or less than I payed not counting all the supplies we used. I called to ask if they would do anything to fix the nut pocket but she just told me to take a recip saw and cut into the pocket, replace the nut, and patch it up. They probably know my name well by now though, along with a few other unhappy customers.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 04-29-2011 at 04:28 PM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #452
creep
Registered Loser

Truck's looking good! Sits a liitle too high for my taste but thats just me That sucks about the hood though, man. Good luck finding a decent replacement. Was the front panel in decent shape on your original hood?

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #453
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post
Truck's looking good! Sits a liitle too high for my taste but thats just me That sucks about the hood though, man. Good luck finding a decent replacement. Was the front panel in decent shape on your original hood?
Thanks man! It does sit a little high and I'd rather it be a little lower but I'm still pretty pleased with the end result. If I can ever get a hold of a LWB Chevy it'll be somewhat closer to your likings though.

And this is the original hood and the rest of it was pretty rough. Truck was originally silver and anytime there was any rust popping up he just sprayed it with matching silver paint. Then it was painted blue by a local who did shoddy paint and bodywork. So by the time I got it, it was pretty rough.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 04-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #454
creep
Registered Loser

I don't know if you can get the lower portion of the front off, the section that is different between GMC and Chevy, but you might be able to swap it over to a Chevy hood if you can find one locally.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #455
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post
I don't know if you can get the lower portion of the front off, the section that is different between GMC and Chevy, but you might be able to swap it over to a Chevy hood if you can find one locally.
You can. It is possible to purchase the top surface separately and also the very front piece. You just have to remove the spot welds. We ended up junking that hood because there was very little good metal left on it. Also found a yellow one that someone had broken the latch on and had decided to put a lock and hasp on to keep the hood down. That one was also a rust bucket. It's hard to find anything good with so much humidity making it rot.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #456
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
About the same as you, just can't polish a turd. It still has pinholes everywhere, doesn't line up worth a damn with the body, has a broken nut in one of the hinge bolt pockets, and the bolt has almost pushed through the top surface of the hood. I'm trying to find a decent steel hood for her because I really didn't want a cowl or fiberglass hood in the first place. Might just break down and order a nice one from out west and try and sale this one and deal with the loss. Just sucks because that's a lot of money down the drain and it hurts more than multiple kicks in the balls. Could have used that money in other areas on the truck. I figure it's better than riding down the road and the damn thing explode into pieces, kill me or someone else and destroy the truck.

The funny thing is, I actually called US Body the other day and they strangely quit manufacturing that hood.
I heard that!
To many complaints maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 04-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #457
TwiggyTheDrummer

Most likely. But if that was the case, I'm sure they wouldn't be making much of anything. If you would allow something like that out the door, I don't see there being quality in any of the other products.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #458
TwiggyTheDrummer

Before

During

After

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #459
66 lwb cs

Nice build and it's nice you can keep it in the family.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #460
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 lwb cs View Post
Nice build and it's nice you can keep it in the family.
Thanks man! And it definitely is. This's another one of those projects and was my Great Grandpa's. Not doing a full restore on it right now, just tuning her up and cleaning out the fuel system.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 05-01-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #461
Ol'63Gmc

Beautiful Truck, Man. What kind of exhaust do you have on the 305?
Ol'63Gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #462
boat

man thats one cool truck love the color
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #463
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'63Gmc View Post
Beautiful Truck, Man. What kind of exhaust do you have on the 305?
Thanks man! Dual Magnaflow's. True duals actually. Hopefully it will sound pretty damn good. Want to put nice 3" Slash-cut Hooker tips on and drop them right where the pipe is sticking out behind each rear tire, following the body line. When I started on the truck, I pulled the muffler and there wasn't much of anything there. So I'm pretty interested in how it will sound from idle to high rev's once it's going and firing 3 cylinders on each pipe. Not gonna sound like a 350 but it should be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat View Post
man thats one cool truck love the color
Thanks boat! I'm glad y'all are digging the truck and color!

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 05-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #464
TwiggyTheDrummer

Started working on the wiring again today. Just laying it all out and finding some solutions to keep it looking clean. I'm not much of an electrician so just bear with me as I try to get it going. After the wiring's done it'll really move along and I can finally start cranking it up again. Really looking forward to doing the interior and the audio along with getting the exhaust finished and tuned up.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 05-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #465
TwiggyTheDrummer

Gauge Cluster Options!

Finally got the chance to find my gauge cluster today and just really don't know where to start on it. I know that panels are readily available for Chevy's and some GMC's but I can't seem to find any options. Do I need to just drill out the other two non-option holes in my original panel, paint it and make it look clean or should I try to have one custom made in the style I want and fill it with some clean vintage-style gauges?

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 05-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #466
afreetX

Thumbs up Re: My Truck

great work TwiggyTheDrummer,
i really injoied the progress, i spend 4 days reading your Thread,
i sow the suffering becose of the hood, i'm not sure if they stell doing the same issues !!
but really you don well,
keep it up
afreetX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #467
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreetX View Post
i sow the suffering becose of the hood, i'm not sure if they stell doing the same issues !!
but really you don well,
keep it up
AfreetX, you need spell check.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #468
afreetX

yeah, LOL. i know i'm not a good writer,
afreetX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #469
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I'm not either. That's why I have spell check.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #470
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreetX View Post
but really you don well,
keep it up
Thanks man and I'll try my best!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #471
kieth

Here is what a stock gmc gauge cluster can look like with a little work and by adding a few gauges. Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...258658_X8WmmMg
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #472
TwiggyTheDrummer

Looks really nice man! I think I might just do that with mine and pick up a set of nice matching gauges.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #473
mlevario99

nice truck Twiggy, I really like the color, my son (14 years) and I are fixing a 66 chevy stepside, we just started, so is going to be a long process, plpus I have a 68 suburban that I need to fix as well, anyways, I need to replace the wiring harness, how do you like the one you are using, any comments good or bad. I bought a painless wiring harness for the 68 burb, got it from summit, but it was like 400.00, painless had a special, so I end up getting 100 back from them, but I search for the 66 and is the same price, with only 12 circuits, I know more than likely you dont more than 12 circuits, but the wiring harness that you bought is half the price.

thanks, and again, your truck looks great
mlevario99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #474
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevario99 View Post
nice truck Twiggy, I really like the color, my son (14 years) and I are fixing a 66 chevy stepside, we just started, so is going to be a long process, plpus I have a 68 suburban that I need to fix as well, anyways, I need to replace the wiring harness, how do you like the one you are using, any comments good or bad. I bought a painless wiring harness for the 68 burb, got it from summit, but it was like 400.00, painless had a special, so I end up getting 100 back from them, but I search for the 66 and is the same price, with only 12 circuits, I know more than likely you dont more than 12 circuits, but the wiring harness that you bought is half the price.

thanks, and again, your truck looks great
Thanks man, I'm glad you like the truck. And as for the paint, I couldn't be happier with my choice and it looks even greater in person. I spent close to a month looking at sample books and always ended up with SOM or a dark green metallic. I started this truck when I was about 16 and had big plans to drive it to school my senior year. I'm almost 21 now and it's obviously still not done but I love working on it and am looking forward to the day I drive it out. Plus you can't beat rebuilding a classic that's always been a part of the family with the help of family.

Regarding the wiring harness, I really don't have any experience with the Painless kits but haven't heard enough positives on them to justify spending more money for the something with fewer circuits. Another plus is that I was able to use the extra circuits and wire for any future addition of powered accessories and the planned additions of the audio system and power seats. I have been impressed so far with mine. It's as easy to install as any wiring harness and its quality, well-marked wire. So I would give it 5 out of 5 stars for value, ease of use, and appearance.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #475
mlevario99

Thanks Twiggy, I will get the same harness as yours, save me a few 100's. My son is 14, so I told him, that if he helps me built the truck it will be his, this way he has to earn it, plus he will appreciate it more.
mlevario99 is offline   Reply With Quote