The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2022, 08:45 AM   #451
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
I have the solution to your potential noise issue...........
sell the truck to me and buy a Prius.
But really, just own that you are going to drive a wicked truck with an old diesel in it. I have been told several times over the years that people thought a old diesel transport was coming down the road with my truck. But really when driving it around the turbo and wind noise are louder than the clack of my 7.3L idi diesel.
I do agree with what you are doing though, the lizard skin is great stuff to keep sound out, but when I had the custom carpet made it soaked up the sound that was inside already.
Hope that makes sense.
I too am interested to see how coating motor parts will work.
1) NOOOooooo ... no no no

the 6B really just sounds like a school bus, so that's less fun as for just owning it, i fully intend to, but if i can make ppl wonder how i made it different i enjoy that. between the sound deadening, twins, and the weird 5" muffler and piping it should take on a different tone.

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-09-2022 at 08:54 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #452
6DoF

so i did a 2nd go-around of 2 coats on the oil pan, partially to fix the pealed bits and partially to just add more. it's much less "tinny" this time and i'm feeling hopefully it'll make a difference. 2 of the valve covers re-do's came out perfect this time, and one still cracked the coating a bit on the top :facepalm: good thing i only need 6 of the 7 covers i painted, and the one that's different for the oil fill came out great this time.

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-09-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #453
daddyjeep

I just riveted some of this stuff to the underside of the Jeep tub. I did it more for heat from the transmission and exhaust than I did for sound, but I'm sure it would make a difference in sound too. It is nice and pliable and not itchy. This could be riveted to the underside of the hood too to absorb a fair amount of noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-14...ps%2C84&sr=8-2
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #454
6DoF

first the good news, parts ready for install! i really like how thuddy the oil pan is now.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #455
6DoF

and then the bad news ... i'm guna blame Gregski cuz he had such a great day with his truck, he stole some of my luck

so i knew there was a small bit there and i was hoping to just dab some urethane on the pin hole outside n be good for a year or 2. but decided to pull the windshield for new rubber and to paint the inside easier, that's when i found the mouse nest filling the upper bulkhead over the windshield and had to actually investigate the extent of the rot.

i ordered patch panels, gunna fix it all, just sux cuz i thought i was done with sheet metal 'til after i drove it. roof skin is totally solid, very lucky there, it's just the eyebrow filler and upper inside structure that are compromised.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #456
youngrodder

Nobody likes surprises. It is best to tackle it now even tho it sucks.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #457
Jason 56

I know that problem. Been there, fixed that. Had the same mouse nest problem in my truck.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #458
dsraven

same here, mouse condo in the eyebrow. luckily I had a donor cab that had been in an accident so I didn't mind cutting parts off of it.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #459
Father&son56project

The good news is that you discovered it before doing your interior, so it looks like you just gotta yank the seat and not have to worry above sparks wrecking stuff. That location is a PITA (I had the same problem on the Fargolet with the inside panel above the windshield, and in hindsight I should have pulled the cab and rolled it into a better position for fabbing and welding). Looking forward to seeing how you fix it!
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #460
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Those parts look great. Man, at least the inside isn't rotten too. I just found above the rear window on my 72 K20 is rotten on the inside. I started looking closer and above the windshield isn't far behind. Great.

Do you know what engine is stupid loud? An ISB non CR 24v. Then stick a VE pump on it. Yeah, she loud.

I doubt you need a muffler with compounds. I have compounds on my Longhorn and no muffler and the exhaust is never loud. It doesn't resonate like straight pipe single turbo does either.

I'm probably going to coat the oil pan, and tappet cover on the wife's burb. She has grown to hate our excursion because the engine noise is so loud. I plan to add sound barrier on the outside of the firewall as well as the inside to help. From my experiences on sound deadening the diesel trucks, it seems like you can put sound deadener everywhere but the darn sound comes through the glass. It is weird.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #461
6DoF

i was shocked when i went to look at my 93 Ram how quiet it was with compounds and straight 4". that second turbo is better than any muffler for sound AND gives back the PSI's! i have that twisty muffler/resonator for under the cab in the 55, but i probably skip the Donaldson now. see how towing with either goes before i sell it though.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:35 AM   #462
6DoF

so the glass it all out, anyone who doesn't have a 2-handed box cutter is crazy cuz that was easy. good news is the rear pinch seam barely needs cleaned up! a little cleanup, some fresh paint, and she'll be ready for the slider. the front however is totally kerfukled across the top. thank god for re-pop'd panels, hopefully they show up soon (and in decent shape).

so around the glass was this hard seal(er) stuff. seamed like it might have been factory to the glass, but so much was chipping off no way it would ever seal with what was left on there. i chipped it all off, but do i need that? there was also a putty of sorts in the gasket to the body. i didn't expect either of those. while the rear was exactly what i expected with painted metal, rubber gasket, clean glass.

now that the front is all clean glass i can just toss it back in there dry with a new gasket right?

i also HIGHLY recommend the mouse-de-nester 3000, works amazing for that hard to reach spots like deep back in the eyebrow thru a rust hole! also works on rusty packed in shmoo too! 3ft of nice flexy 1/2" hose, some rags to make a seal, and suck.

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-14-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #463
dsraven

I think the assembly manual said something about a sealer on the front winshield, maybe not factory after having a few replaced though. one i took out had what looked like plumbers putty or glazers putty between te body and the rubber.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #464
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I think the assembly manual said something about a sealer on the front winshield, maybe not factory after having a few replaced though. one i took out had what looked like plumbers putty or glazers putty between te body and the rubber.
ok, so maybe it wasn't a shade-tree leak fix then. more research needed i guess.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #465
dsraven

the assembly manual is a free download. google 55-50 assembly manual and pick the tri5 site.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #466
dsraven

sorry, 55-59 factory assembly manual
Old 02-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #467
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The black stuff on the glass almost looks like the primer glass guys put on glue in windshields. It's supposed to help the urethane stick to the glass. I'm betting that stuff was added in attempt to keep the windshield from leaking. I totally agree, the 2 handed utility knife is money to cut those old gaskets and get your glass out without a big fight.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 PM   #468
lower50's

I'm going to have to make me one of those "mouse-de-nester 3000" is it patent pending?
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:17 AM   #469
6DoF

Old 03-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #470
6DoF

EXCUSE TIME! seriously though ... chit hit the fan, it's project vehicle related, thought some might get a kick out of it. it's long and not 55 related at all. (i did order the patch panels i need for the eyebrow! they are collecting dust on the 55)

last fall i picked up a 2000 2Dr Jeep Cherokee from a buddy. stock, super clean, I6/auto, had been overheated really bad and sat for 2 years. he drove it off the trailer though! drove it into my shop (note that i drove it) where i replaced a cracked head from it overheating with an updated casting. polished the surface, lapped the valves, ready to rock. ran it, (note running), but ran only at like 2000RPM at idle so something was off. outside to flush the coolant where i found it leaking coolant from the bellhousing. i guess there's a freeze plug behind the flexplate that likes to rust thru. decided that if i'm pulling the auto, i'm putting a stick back, and didn't want to drop the time/money right then. decided i would work on the 55 and move the XJ out til spring, had to push it cuz i couldn't get it to run. (foreshadowing) never to run again.

ended up i bought a parts jeep, parted it out, and made money keeping the 5spd swap "kit". even ran it's I6 with 2 rods hanging out the block. swapped some sensors, still no-run on my good XJ. pile the parts into the back and let it burry with snow.

well i then bought that big 12V ram, doing good, sold my GMC, but was pretty sure the trans was going to need rebuild really pretty soon. 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere, 4th gear synchro just up and cuts bait, it's gone gone. well i need something to drive to work while i rebuild it and i have that Cherokee, so i pushed it into the shop.

NEXT DAY! next freaking day ... heading to a vendor with a co-worker in the ram and the trans locks itself in 3rd as i merge onto the turnpike. it's now 11miles to the next exit for me to get off, get back on, and come back to work. 2700RPM, 45mph ... fail. at least it wasn't a super critical meeting.

actually drives pretty well in only 3rd around town. i get home, my driveway is crazy, can't get up it in 3rd. smoke the dual disk clutch trying, and even air-lock the injectors over reving it. more fail. blead the injectors and realize i can just put it in 4-low to get to get up it fine. wish i had thought of that sooner :facepalm: pull the shifter stub, and even pry bars and hammers can't get it out of 3rd, gota pull the trans. order the G360 master rebuild kit, shifter rebuild kit, and an NP205 rebuild while i'm there cuz i'm sure it has 337,000 miles.

back to the XJ though while i wait on parts, lets get this going! 3 evenings of trying EVERYTHING, and everything is fine, it all works. i even jumped the fuel pump on, pulled the fuel rail, and jumped the injectors to see the spray patter they each have. checked cam timing n chain slop, signals at sensors and total circuit resistance. i had fuel, i had air pumping, i had spark! finally go buy the adapter i need to check compression just to rule it out the last and final "known" i could. all cylinders and pistons looked great while i was in there. i even ran it, no way all 6 are now somehow trashed. good thing i didn't buy a lottery ticket!

#1 - 20
#2 - 25
#3 - 15
#4 - 30
#5 - 40
#6 - 20

threw some oil down #3, cranked and no reading, cranked and no reading, cranked and 180psi! relieved, cranked, 150 ... relieved, cranked, 120 ... 90 ... 50 ... fawk. going theory is that it overheated bad enough to un-temper the rings and they all relaxed.

so lets have a vote:
1) in-frame rebuild with a dingle ball, new rod bearings, and new rings
2) swap in a whole new 4.0 with the 5spd since obviously everything else is fine.
3) TDI swap it

shoved that little turd back outside and limp the Ram in. i'm used to working on jeeps and there was SO much room for activities between these frame rails! drop the trans and find this fun nugget. rear input shaft bearing died and apparently allowed enough play for the synchro to wipe out the extended splines on the synchro gear. smeared metal so no way the shifter was moving thru the gate. the race for that bearing is machined into the input shaft, so also need a new one of those. parts shipped, just waiting ... all-in it's only going to be like $400 and that's so nice vs loosing a modern auto and costing $4000.

Last edited by 6DoF; 03-01-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #471
gottattooz

Good thing you know the things you know. Imagine how expensive all of those things would be, individually and collectively, if you had to pay someone else to do those repairs. That's one of the reasons I became a mechanic, I was too broke to pay someone to fix things. Also because I enjoy the challenge of giving things myself, but being poor was a huge motivational force.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #472
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
Good thing you know the things you know. Imagine how expensive all of those things would be, individually and collectively, if you had to pay someone else to do those repairs. That's one of the reasons I became a mechanic, I was too broke to pay someone to fix things. Also because I enjoy the challenge of giving things myself, but being poor was a huge motivational force.

-Josh
right! this truck is supposed to be my reliable DD ... but obviously still working thru the PM's n repairs to get there. i'd rather have 4 bad-ass occasionally reliable rides than one new something!

while dropping the trans i was thinking "if i had just ordered a new truck like the wife suggested, i wouldn't be under it right now". but i'd have to deal with a Stealership for warranty work, and would have paid $40,000 more for an equivalent truck. plus depreciating vs appreciating. not worth it.

then i started thinking ... i saved $40,000, i could have just paid my mechanic guy to just take care of it, been done, and still been way ahead. but i'd have been paying $4000 for what i'm getting done for $400. not worth it.

luckily the snow is gone, and the salt is almost gone. i'm driving the wife's winter beater, and her summer ride got street insurance re-instated. made it to work, still waiting on parts.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #473
gottattooz

Plus the pride of fixing it yourself. It sucks during the repair, but afterwards, you get that little pat on the back when you think "yeah, I just fixed that..."

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #474
Rickysnickers

When it rains it pours! With all the goings on with your vehicles, as far as the vote for the Jeep, I vote #2 and be done with that part!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:38 AM   #475
lower50's

Ya it never fails, one of the reliable vehicles has a problem then they all get a problem. It's like they are kids at school and they all get sick at the same time. I have the same thing happen.
I second that Josh!!
I would really like to see you do #3 but in realty #2 could be done in a weekend.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote