The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #451
Old Bleu

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Something else that I think you have to consider in the T5 installation is that it will rest on the crossmember where our 64 - 65 parking brake cable runs. Seems like I've read that the two alternatives are to move the lever to the botom side of the crossmember or convert to the 1966 style cables. I guess the drawback to moving things to the bottom of the crossmember is that if the truck is lowered some, it could drag. the '66 cable is probably tghe more elegant way to go, but not sure if you have to source them from a junkyard or can buy them as repalcements. Will have to look into that.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #452
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, if its a prolem I'll drop the bar to the bottom of the xmember....I'm stayin at full height cause that dropped look is (in my opinion) a way over done/not too daily driver friendly option. Dads 47 is dropped and rides like a Hoverround, always high centered on the yellow line. HA!

In the meantime, I can't wait to pull my drive shaft and check to see if the sm318 is 16 or 27 spline output, cause if its the later 27 spline output, I may not need a replacment yoke, just a shortening of the shaft! Hooooo Weeee, wish the T5 were here now, I'd call in sick and get to work.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #453
Old Bleu

I knew we could get ya movin before Christmas!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #454
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I'll look over the ebrake cable mounts....if its rivited I'll prolly go ahead and prep by grindin them out and puttin in bolts. So I can yank it for the trans install. And if there is room, maybe a simple 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick shim will drop it and clear the trans when its time to bolt it back up and no flippin it over or changin stuff around. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #455
Lugnutz65

Rich,
I called you "Ron" on a couple of occasions. Please accept my apology.

In many ways you and I are on parallel paths. We both have 65 Steppers and plan to have a T5 with a 250ci. That's cool. You'll have yours done waaaaay before me because yours is already a driver and mine is off the frame at the moment . . . grrrrrr!

In short, I think there are 2 or 3 ways to solve the T5 tranny crossmember issue. You can remove the 1965 e-brake crossmember altogether and install one from a vendor or you can fabricate one using the existing 1965 e-brake crossmember. I'll elaborate below.

Option #1: CPP makes a bolt in crossmember. I think it's about $70 delivered. It's the Totally Tubular TH-350 crossmember by CPP. You still need the bushing mount for the S10 and it all bolts right up at the proper height. Simply remove the 1965 e-brake crossmember and bolt in the new crossmember. However, that leaves us without an e-brake. Not good! I did some research and found out that the 1966 C10 used an updated e-brake system that eliminated the crossmember used in 1965. Conversion to the 66 C10 version is not difficult. LMC sells the cables for the 66 version. The additional metal clips can all be fabricated easily enough. Here's a Custom Classic Trucks magazine article on a 67-72 truck where they did the T5 swap and used the Totally Tubular TH-350 crossmember I'm referring to. Drill holes in the frame and bolt it all together.

Option #2: I read somewhere that a 65 C10 owner removed his 65 e-brake crossmember, then flipped it upside down and mounted it beneath the frame instead of between the frame rails. Now stay with me on this one please. Study the photos. If mounted beneath the frame, it could still function as the e-brake crossmember with all the original mechanisms if you are willing to do some modification. There would be enough slack in the cables to make it work. Why would you consider doing this? Well, you will notice that the S10 tailshaft bushing mount is directly over the middle of the e-brake crossmember FACTORY POSITION, so the crossmember could very easily serve both purposes - e-brake crossmember AND tranny crossmember.

Option #3: Fabricate your own custom crossmember.

Here's a pic of my T5 with an S10 tailhousing temporarily placed into the final mounted position. Notice how the tailshaft bushing mount is exactly in the middle of the crossmember. The crossmember is still in the factory position.

Here's what it looked like before disassembly and the factory tranny still in place.

Here's my crossmember with all the extra stuff removed.

Here's a mockup of a 66 e-brake system I pulled off of my parts truck and put on my 65 frame.

So I ground off the rivets and removed my 65 bracket.

First remove the riveted vertical bracket and slide bar. Next, roll the crossmember upside down and mount it UNDER the frame in the same spot. Drill 2 new holes and remount the riveted piece into the new position keeping it properly oriented so that the long part is pointing to the back. That way it's oriented like it was before. The slide bar is put back and the weld to make the slot smaller is also replaced so that is can't back out.

This picture was photo-shopped by me to show the way the crossmember would look FROM BELOW once all the mods were made.

[SIZE="5"]Will it be strong enough to serve as a T5 crossmember? I think so, but you could weld a few plates onto it to add stiffness.

So much for my brainstorming. I hope this is seen as trying to be helpful.

Jay

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #456
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Great info and no worries...GoodWife calls me Dumbass and so does the Troll, woops, I mean Mother - In - Law.

I'm also gonna investigate two further solutions...cutting off the entire rear mount from the tailshaft housing or simply dropin the cross member down one inch on spacers. I think the spacers is gonna be the leastest work and doesn't destroy any parts at all for later restoration to 1965 perfection cause sure as heck when I die and someone else gets the truck he's gunna curse me for a weber and v8 radiator and steelies never thinkin how gentle and daily applicable the light changes were!

And if dropin the cross member works I'll see if there room for a u-bracket to link up the cross member to the trans for a complete look and a tiny bit of extra stiffness.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #457
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I see ya have an early peanut with 16 spline output there....is yer t5 a 27 spline output?

I gotta pull my shaft....crossin my fingers and hopein my peanut is the late 65 when they started usin 27 splines.....if the t5 I got comein is 27 spline output as well, just a simple shortening of the Drive Shaft and some new spicers should fix it right up.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #458
Ta2Don

Thanks for the crossmember tips, filing that away for E brake mods
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #459
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Lugnutz got a couple of elegant solutions there. I really like the xmember flip, its workman/craftsmanlike and would look enough like factory to fool all but the Ridler judges.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #460
jayoldschool

Don't stress about that output shaft spline count. Easy to swap a different yoke on. I've got my shaft out of my 65 230/3spd if you want me to check tomorrow, though.

Congrats, happy b day!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #461
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Thanks, Bday comeing soon to an October near me. Meantime, I got a yoke comeing with the trans in case I need it, if I don't I can pass it along. So, no worries. Just wish I could remember if the 10.5 inch clutch on these ol trucks was big enough to take the 11 inch clutch......I don't remember if its one clutch plate for both or if there are matching sizes of pressure plate. I'll prolly delay on getting the clutch till closer time and I pull the mess out and measure it. There'll be a couple days of grindin flywheels and fittin parts so I can express one in from the local Counter Gal or even Summit. I'd prefer to use the 11" Astro but I spose a 10.5" Camero or S10 driven plate will be fine too....course I could always do what I'm told and run the 9 1/8 or 9 1/2 ones too.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #462
Old Bleu

Thanks Jay, that is some great information! I'm way behind you guys on upgrades to my '64, but hope to be using all of this knowledge soon.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #463
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Mailed the check for my new overdrive trannie today....fingers tappin as I wait in the deer stand for the days to pass till it gets here.....tap, tap, tap, tap, tap,......
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #464
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Mailed the check for my new overdrive trannie today....fingers tappin as I wait in the deer stand for the days to pass till it gets here.....tap, tap, tap, tap, tap,......
I go this Saturday to pick one up. Yes, another one. Seems I like to collect them.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #465
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Trucks or trannies? or both?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #466
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Trucks or trannies? or both?
S10 T5 with a cable drive speedo. Been searching for this for 6 months.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #467
PaysonBolter

Quote:
Got the mail from "The Man"....applicable S10 T5 should be in his shop soon...I'll be reserving it tonight.....3.50 first gear and .76 fith and we'll know shortly whether it's a Non World Class or World Class version....but behind a Buzzin Half Dozen a NWC would prolly be just fine.

Woo Hoo!!!
Hey Sharps, still lovin what you are doing and I will be following very closely in your footsteps with my '66.

I have ta ask though, are you sure about those ratios? According to this, there is no t5 w/ a 3.50 and .76 combo. All of the 3.50's are out of astros and have .73 ODs (of course it could be wrong or missing a model).

I too really like the idea of a 3.50 1st instead of the taller gears, especially with the 3.73 rear end and wouldn't even consider any ODs that weren't in the .70s range. Seems just a waste of metal in this situation.

I'm not sure what the hell is in mine though. It may have been replaced with the engine however many years ago. The floor shifter is moved back a bit from the stock location and uses a 2 rod linkage contraption from the shifter to the side of the box where it looks like the t5's shifter is mounted directly to the top of the box. So I dunno if mine is even a 318 or not. Doesn't matter much to me as I eventually want it all pulled out and switch over to a t5 with a decent engine build and new/cut drive shaft.

Keep on...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #468
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonBolter View Post
Hey Sharps, still lovin what you are doing and I will be following very closely in your footsteps with my '66.

I have ta ask though, are you sure about those ratios? According to this, there is no t5 w/ a 3.50 and .76 combo. All of the 3.50's are out of astros and have .73 ODs (of course it could be wrong or missing a model).

I too really like the idea of a 3.50 1st instead of the taller gears, especially with the 3.73 rear end and wouldn't even consider any ODs that weren't in the .70s range. Seems just a waste of metal in this situation.

I'm not sure what the hell is in mine though. It may have been replaced with the engine however many years ago. The floor shifter is moved back a bit from the stock location and uses a 2 rod linkage contraption from the shifter to the side of the box where it looks like the t5's shifter is mounted directly to the top of the box. So I dunno if mine is even a 318 or not. Doesn't matter much to me as I eventually want it all pulled out and switch over to a t5 with a decent engine build and new/cut drive shaft.

I drove GoodWifes 6 speed jeep 4 door yesterday...I think the new T5 will feel like it does, its gonna be great shiftin outta first at 15 or so in a few feet instead of a mile down the road at 25 or 30!
Keep on...
Yep, per Tom Langdon, its a T5 from an Astro Van...3.5 first. and I mighta fumbled the final ratio but .73 or .76 its about the same, Significant Noise Reduction at highway speed!

Sounds like yers is either a 318 or a sag....post a pic, folks will holler in but if its a nonsyncro first three speed its prolly a 318.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #469
Sharps40
Account Suspended

John Lee took Me and Dad Hunting this week....Low Country, Andrews SC.

we're packin for huntin!!!!

He's so excited. Heading to the Low Country tomorrow at noon...father, son hunting trip, got the place to ourselves...then a big trip with the whole gang in October....bustin the gut on that one too, won't come soon enough. But for now, grillin and drinkin beer and bout to light the evening fire at home. Tomorrow at this time, we'll have looked over the stands, worked out the strategies that the Tracker Deer and their respective herds will ignore and we'll be lightin the fire and drinkin beer in SC.

Limited coms but we'll take pics if we get deer and even if we don't. John Lee is running strong, hitch haul installed and we're loadin it up and confident in this ol reliable blue Chevy.

Pops is huntin with M1 Garand and 7 Mauser. I'm huntin with 7 Mauser and a Win 1886 45-70.

Its the best time of year....and its the best time of life. Don't miss a moment.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #470
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Looked out in the front yard...three does eatin crab apples. All that damn delicious corn and sweet feed in the woods and me sittin on the stand and them does is out in the front yard standing in the firkin driveway on their hind legs pullin down branches and shaken off crab apples to eat. 30 feet from the bathroom winder, I coulda been crappin and shootin all at the same time. Deer is funny, never know how they're gonna mess with ya. I'm gonna haveta shoot the tracker deer, he's the one given em all the instructions on how to mess with me.

My goodness, we ain't even in the Low Country yet an we're already seein deer!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #471
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Smooth sailing. Down 1 and SE around Florance to 41 and South all the Low Country to Andrews. Arrived Chigger Grove. Unpack and Mr Greg arrives. 3 stands ready and the electric cart - silent running. Dad in the Tower. Me in WncDeerHunters spot by the Dog pens.

Dad:

Me:

7PM and a Doe pops out left. She's young and dances. No interest in the corn. She prances and bounds and jumps 4 feet in the air. She runs back to the pens - behind me and teases the dogs. Later I climb down and she blows. She has bedded right. Right on top of the dogs. But she does not leave. As I mount the electric cart to go get Dad she lays down for the night. She is small. For now, she's safe!

Here is where she danced...

Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #472
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Up at 430 AM. Wild Turkey Rare Breed KO'd us both last night.

Venison Sausage and egg/cheese sammies for breakfast and Coffee-Black.

We're off - 71 degrees and 30 percent chance of rain. Looks like it'll be hot today so we'll hunt till 1100ish.

This stand is so comfy, mesh seat, footrest, adjustable shootin rail abd nice grab handles for the climb up. Like a lounge!

------------------------------------

Back out for the evening. Dad in the Garden stand for tonight and the corn behind has been harvested. Hopefully they are moving in and out now instead of dennining up in the cornfield.

Dad in the Garden Stand!

Big Venison spagetti lunch and a long nap and we're ready for the evening.

30 percent chance of rain this AM became an hour soaking shower. Dad stayed dry in the tower stand. Sure did get humid dor the evening sit!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gettin down at 724 pm. Dad just shot! Fingers crossed that Barnes X comes thru again!!

--------------------------------------------
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #473
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Doe down like a sack-o-hammers. Perfect high shoulder - slipped that Barnes X just under the spine. No trackin and no dragin. The Ol Huntsman once again showin the Pups how its done!!!

At the stand:

Damn tuff drag out!

Better light back in camp, one happy Pappy!

He said, Looked bigger on 9X.... I said, That's supposed to be my line Dad.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #474
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Up at 430 AM for Day 2. Traditional Hunters fair for breakfast - Bacon, Eggs and Black Coffee.

Dad will hunt the Garden Stand again this morning and I'll take his place in the Tower. The Tower is a busy hunting spot as there are 3 bait sights on a 270 degree arc-keeps ya busy watchin!

My view from the tower stand.

Who is this dude?

-------------------------------------------

649 AM and my 1886 barks from the Tower. Deer down. Dead Right There. Shakes. Can't hardly type let alone climb down.

Buck down. Spike + 3 points. Shoulder shot-405g LFPHB anchored him on the spot. Even busted a doe gettin out the stand.

I think its DRT (Dead Right There)

Nice, right in the corn at the crack of dawn...

Another of those difficult drags......we need a bigger foot rest on the cart.

Its cool out so I park him at the opposite end and get back in the stand till 11 AM.

Later, after eating lunch, the work starts.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #475
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Back out for the Evening hunt. Same stands and it remains blessidly cool.

We celebrated at lunch today - Both tagged in. Steaks w/onions and mushrooms, baked taters w/bacon, salad, cold beers and fire hot porkskins and tropical Skittles fer dessert! Then a big ol nap to prep fer the evening

--------------------------------

POW! 749 PM-Dad hammers another doe!

Big doe down in the Garden stand!!

Another high shoulder and X does the trick

Dad finally skinned and quartered his own deer. For years he's been pretty crafty and usually gets me to do it. Tonight I got to drink beer and marvel at the spectical.

Tomorrow is day 3 and our last day in the stands. We'll be lookin for bucks and with continued cool fronts we hope to see a shot on a good one. I hope Dad shoots first. But its great so far. We are 3 tags of 4 and its just me and him!

This time he says, It was about the same size on 9X as it was on 3X so I figured that meant it was a bigger doe...

And back at camp.....

Closed Thread