The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Re: any one have experience with the 8.1's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONUSCAB View Post
I don't want to start a **** storm, but is there any advantage to this versus a Cummins swap? I'm asking this to ask this. my truck is gonna need a repower at some point in the future and was just gonna do a Cummins for the power, fuel economy, low cost (relatively speaking.) To me an 8100 swap would be cool on a lot of levels (it's not a cummins or LSx swap, or a built 454, good old fashioned American V8 noises.) How does the 8.1 stack against a basic Cummins 6BTA, or 4BTA based on cost, fuel mileage and power?
well actually the 8.1 is a cross between a lsx and a bbc so its kinda a swap of the two. well 1st off a diesel and gas are a big difference. diesel will rev to 3k a gas to 6k(makes a difference at higher speeds), diesel is cold natured, maintance and fuel is more, gm trans wont bolt to it without an adapter. the v8 would def be cheaper and would be computer controlled. it will bolt to any chevy trans too. mpg the diesel will do better but then you look at a dollar more a gallon. the ctd will weigh double. the cummins is more work to bolt in. also with a diesel you have turbo lag and all that.

with all that i love diesels but it depends on what you want from a truck. if i wanted a hotrod type truck id want a v8 engine with the v8 sound . now if i wanted a hd truck i could work pull trailers every day id want a diesel. the ctd is a great engine but your choice of transmissions if you want overdrive (with a 3k redline i know i would) is pretty limited. you have the nv4500 which is a manual. auto you can run the stock dodge units which is either a:the old 4 speed which if you want alot of power is going to cost some money to build
b:the new 6 speed which you would need the computer to control and idk how hard it would be if you went this route id get a common rail 5.9 or 6.7 with the 6 trans and all its computer parts.
c: use adapter and run a gm or ford trans. gm you have the 4l80e or alli 1000. the 80 is cheap but still would need building to hold alot of power plus needs a controller. the alli isnt cheap but is tough as nails (by the time you get alli adapter and a controller your could swap a duramax and build the trans). ford you could use one of the od trans from a psd but then getting it to work with a 205 transfercase and you still need all the sh!t you need to run a alli or a 4l80 so its not cheap.
d. you can get something from a bigger truck that has a cummins but be preparded with a torch and a saw to get that sumbeash to fit.

the most cost effective is to used the ctd and dodge 4 speed od if you want a diesel or swap but like i said then trans will hold about 250-300 hp and die in a short time without pumping 3k in it. other cheapest option is whole engine tranny combo with all its computers from a doner truck which would be my choice (dmax or common rail ctd). that said the gas engine would be half of any diesel.

the bad about the gas engine if you plan to work it well its not going to do as good as the diesel. gas engines dont make that low end you need to work real well. the gas will not last as long as a diesel. you cant run bio fuels to save money in a gasser (which idk if i would in a newer diesel either).

long a$$ post but im just telling you everything i know from pulling trailers and looking into swaps in a old truck.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Re: any one have experience with the 8.1's?

i forgot to add something. theres the 6.5 and 4l80 it would be a simple swap. its prob the worst choice for a diesel engine but still it makes good power and is pretty much drop in.

other than that there is old diesels 6.2 5.7 the idi 6.9 7.3 but lord they make no power.
lastly theres the other dmax and a few perkins that make good power and would fit in a pickup but idk what trans you could use with them.

cat makes some good engine but fitting in a pickup is impossible really. the only one is extremely unpowerful iirc.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote