The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2003, 10:07 PM   #26
mikep
Used to have a truck

I know what skylines are and they look like crap. Ugly styling. They might be somewhat fast but thats about it.

AC ? thats when you pull the lexan window down!

Comfortable ? Theres nothing more comfortable than solid motor mounts and racing seats.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 PM   #27
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

ty, i'd love a ride in that ty of yours. And for you old schoolers who love the big muscle of the v8, any of you ever thought that if GM had some sense for a racing type truck/car they'd make an AWD pickup or car. You may think AWD is a crutch for underpowered but those Sy and Ty trucks will eat most of you up and lots of them have more power, see what they'll do.

Dont get me wrong, i love a BB and a nasty blower but for driveability you cant much beat turbochargers on a motor. I dont care what displacement the motor is, turbos are more behaved than a supercharger anytime.

Look up some serious power vehicles, tons and tons run turbos, and many run turbos with their superchargers.. lots of options fellas. AWD i tend to think is a great thing, especially for the racing most of the AWD cars do, but even on the strip AWD will grab and pull hard more often versus lifting a front end (waste of power), or breaking tires loose and smokin' em like you do with HUGE HP v8s and such.

Ok i'm done hehe either way everyone's got a pick and a favorite, just dont be so rough on the ones in the "other" column, a li'l of being open minded might save you your proverbial 'lunch' from being eaten by someone.
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:34 PM   #28
mikep
Used to have a truck

All I know is... I laughed all the way through "The Fast and the Furious".

The thing about AWD's ( lets just call it 4 wheel drive eh ) is you have something called weight transfer. Simple physics. That 4 wheel drive is still gouing to transfer weight to the rear when drag racing and when that happens the front wheels will lose traction in a big way . See any real drag racers using 4 wheel drive ? Theres a reason for that. Big HP motors and rear wheel drive are able to go faster than AWD in the quarter because of weight transfer not in spite of it . The AWD car is going to lose traction to the front if it doesnt break parts and or lose control.

Mike

Last edited by mikep; 02-04-2003 at 11:43 PM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #29
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

Granted that was pretty funny li'l spoof (attempted realism believe it or not) at that scene.

I'm not much into the import scene for dragging, as i don't think the $ they spend is justifiable for their speeds etc.
However when it comes to driving around town and getting 25+mpg and being comfy and stuff they've got a bit on the big ole cars. I'll still drive my 69 BB everyday with it's gas guzzling, but for commutting, which most of those guys do, they chose a better vehicle..
Anyways to each his own, and MikeP read up on some Turbocharged V8 Chevys... tell me what you think on that rice just playin bro,
Greg
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #30
bigjimzlll

To each their own.....I wouldn't mind having one of those new fangled ty or sy's or a lightning for that matter...as a daily driver for the wife....but for me...give me tire smoking,front end lifting, hard steering,tuff breaking,constantly tinkering, wonderful old american muscle.
Jim

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:23 AM   #31
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

You see many AWD cars at drag events. They compete mostly in streetlegal classes.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:24 AM   #32
mikep
Used to have a truck

Oh yeah. Theyre the ones geting spanked by V8 Pintos ;-) . Only half kidding on that. Ive seen some embarrasingly fast v8 pinto's.

A little update. I did a little more tuning on the ignition and richened up the carb one size . I'm down to 6.48 second 0-60 times. Still need lower gearing and a bigger carb on it but in all I'm pretty pleased with the new cam.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:48 PM   #33
383 Stroker

mikep, are you using a gtech? A friend of mine has one, I tried it before I got Nitrous. I got a 5.1 second 0-60 time.

1967 C-10, 383ci Sbc, TH350, 3200 stall, 3.73 gear
383 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:31 PM   #34
mikep
Used to have a truck

No but I think I might try one. It'd be a lot easier than the stopwatch/speedometer/shift method. I take an average of 3 runs usually .