The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #26
notmrgoodwrench

Re: hello new guy here with a weird question

man that sounds like a big mess there, and i know how you feel when it is their fault they never want to admit it. i got to thinking about this again this morning and decided to go ahead and try to fix it because if i was to ever get stopped or something and they checked the vin number and seen that it was off then it would be a big mess,so thats what im gonna do. and to jay, your not too far away then about 4 hours or so, and once again happy new year to everyone
notmrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Welcome, from another Arkie.

Here's how to do it:

Go in to the local Revenue Office about 10 minutes before quittin' time, and plead your case to the youngest lady in there (the older/more experienced ones aren't as susceptible to anybody's BS) and ask her as nicely as you can: "pretty please, can you help fix this mess for me..........."

Most of those low-paid workers are so beat up & PO'd from dealing all day long with a string of dozens of angry/upset people (who are mad because THEY were the ones who forgot to bring in with them their Tax Assessment notice, their last year's Taxes Paid stamp or tax receipt, their vehicle title, their license renewal application form, their vehicle milage, their proof of insurance, etc, etc) and having to do this EVERY day, so that when someone who actually is pleasant, and nicely asks for their help, they'll often go the extra mile to try to accomodate you.

Been there, done that...............

Once they send in the correct numbers to the State, it's fixed.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #28
Green Machine

We had the same problem on our 70, got to checking insurance cards and found an "8" where there should have been a "0". It was on the year portion, and I know it is not a 68. Went to courthouse, an inspector was going to look at the truck but was busy that day. He called me and I just told him that the vin tag, glove box and frame vin all matched, which they do, and he called the courthouse gals and it just cost less than $10 for new title.

They told me that it was possible to goof up the old short VIN's. Something about the new longer VIN numbers, they are verified by the computer somehow, can't be entered wrong, but the old ones can't be checked for typos.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0

Last edited by Green Machine; 01-02-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #29
notmrgoodwrench

good ideas there guys, i am going to go in there here before long and get it fixed they told me before that i would have to have a thing from the state police saying they had checked the vin but i didnt have them check it i had a local police officer check it but im sure she will give me a paper or something if i need it i know its no biggie just a little time to get it fixed and time is all i have cause i dang sure aint got no money lol and hello there 68shortstep nice to meet ya.....and everyone else too
notmrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Hello to you, too.

My truck originally came to me from a dealer who bought it from a mechanic, who bought it (inoperative) from a Mississippi farmer. Still had an "open" MS title, and I just had the two Bills of Sale to show the chain of ownership transfer to me, in Arkansas.

I had to go thru the same "numbers verificiation" requirement, before I could do licensing & titling, and I had to deal with a sort of similar screwed-up numbers situation on mine. The first (MS) Bill of Sale had transposed VIN numbers on it, but we "fixed that" on the second Bill of Sale when I bought the truck, by carefully verifying that the dealer had written them down correctly off the original Title.

Anyhow, it took only a 2-minute visit to the local Sheriff's office to verify that "numbers matched."

I showed the Deputy the transposed numbers on the first Bill of Sale, to keep everything on the up & up, and he said: "happens all the time on these handwritten Bill of Sales." He checked the door-jamb VIN against my current bill of Sale, saw that it was right, & told me to just ignore the other one, and I left with the proper piece of paper & went straight to the State Revenue (licensing) office.

Maybe, you could get a note from the local Sheriff's deputy or a friendly State Police officer saying something like: "an apparent and obvious transposition/miss-entry of a number has occurred on the existing title, and it can/should be fixed this way: ........."

That's probably all you'd need to get the problem handled at the Revenue Office.

There's a lot of flexibility in what they CAN do to help, just the issue is to find someone with some degree of authority who really WILL be willing to take the time to help you.

At least you know the truck's not stolen.

Good Luck !!!
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote