The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #26
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzy
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.
i can 100% guarantee you that you will. 3 reasons. its paid for, you know its history, and it was given to you by your grandfather. i sold my first truck when i was 17, and have regretted it ever since the day i did. first i had to look at it in my high school parking lot, then a guy would drive it by the gas station that i worked at all the time. i later got a job working with that guy, and now i work across the street from him. i literally see my baby, EVERY DAY. and it kills me to do so. that is MY truck, and it will always be my truck. unfortunately, he refuses to sell it.

i did get one thing better, my '77 K20. worked on it quite a bit with my grandpa, it was his truck. it taught me alot, created some very happy memories, and now that he's gone, its something to remember him by. its in far worse shape than yours, and my goals for it are a little higher than yours. it has had a snow blade hanging off the front of it since the day it left the dealership in early 1977, and it has never once been kept in a garage. my plans? stock or extremely mild custom resto, and it will be a show truck.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #27
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

Ok ok guys, I guess I will keep it. I'm going to do my best at repairing it myself. I am wanting to get into the auto technician field so this will be a good way to get started. If I have any questions, you guys will answer them right?

Thanks so much for convincing me on keeping this.

First order of business is buying a jack or two so I can change the shocks on this beast. I think I'm going to need new bolts also.

Last edited by Wertzy; 06-28-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Wertzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #28
norville

I guess you got our subtle hints......

In my neck of Pa that's a peach.

bob

glad to help in any way possible.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #29
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Good decision! The shocks are easy it was the first thing I ever replaced on my truck, put air in the back and standard in the front. I was 16 never turned a wrench before, but bought a Haynes manual and off I went. Although the guys here say it takes 20 min I think it took more like 1hr for me . I'm sure just a measure of my ability.
augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #30
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
First order of business is buying a jack or two so I can change the shocks on this beast. I think I'm going to need new bolts also.
I too am glad you're keeping it, and I know you'll have fun (and some no-fun ) learning to fix things yourself.

While a good jack and jack (axle) stands are definitely a good investment, you don't actually need them to change the shocks - depending how high your truck is and how big you are. The shocks are not holding the vehicle up, so removing them does not require supporting the vehicle - the springs will do that for you.

Having said that, jacking it up and using stands certainly will give you a little more elbow room under there. Just make sure you ALWAYS use the stands to support the vehicle and NOT the jack alone. A jack is a lifting device only and is not meant to hold a vehicle for a sustained period. Sudden loss of hydraulic pressure in the jack can end badly. I know us older guys have done it many times (especially when the stands are under a pile of junk in the garage), but please be safe and use them. You want to be able to enjoy your truck (and life) for many more years.

And remember what I said before - - - HAVE FUN!!!!!

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #31
86 GMG

absolutly the best idea of your life was keeping it b/c no matter what you do in life if your anything like most of the guys here my self included. the worse the day the happier i am when i come home and pittle around in the garage and on the truck this can cover as little as polishing the wheels to replacing the trans. its just diffrent and kinda refreshing to me noing that i fix it and didnt pay someone else to do so and this alone make me take pride in my truck and want to kick trhe **** out of someone for dissing it
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #32
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

glad to hear you came to your senses. is your grandpa still around? if he is, try and get him somewhat involved in the project. 2 things come to mind that would be a good reward of this. one would be showing him that you can take something that was once in need of work and made it good again, mainly something that he gave you. that will show him that you appreciate the gift he has given you. and the second, it will make the truck that much more special to you when and if he does pass. fond memories are the best.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #33
86 GMG

1faastc10 Your 100% Correct And Athird Reason Would Be Wertzy Can Use The Whole Gramps And I Are Fixing It Together So Quite Telling Me To Get Ride Of It (black-male Is Great)
Old 06-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #34
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

Ok, quick question. Will these headers work with my engine? I have a 305 5.0L with the smog pump. According to summit, they won't work with my engine?

Edelbrock Shorty Headers

I'm not entirely sure how the emissions test goes in PA, so I thought I would play it safe and get these headers that have the AIR hookup. If I could, I would jump for full length headers.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #35
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok, quick question. Will these headers work with my engine? I have a 305 5.0L with the smog pump. According to summit, they won't work with my engine? ......
I don't have an answer to your question other than to suggest that you might want to start a new thread with this topic. That way you might get more interest from guys with specific header knowledge.

Just my $.02

P.S. Again, glad to hear you're keeping her.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #36
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

Ok cool. Thanks a bunch man!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #37
Zilverado
Account Suspended

You're welcome Man. Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to get you as much help as possible.

This board is GREAT - - we all make it that way!!!!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #38
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GMG
1faastc10 Your 100% Correct And Athird Reason Would Be Wertzy Can Use The Whole Gramps And I Are Fixing It Together So Quite Telling Me To Get Ride Of It (black-male Is Great)
what? and why do you capitalize every word?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #39
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

I don't know why he was doing that...kinda confused me also. LOL
Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #40
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Wertzy, make sure before you commit to headers or some other mods that the PA inspections will allow them. I know they were REAL jerky when I lived there (and worked in the inspection stations) and we didn't have the smog inspections either then.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-29-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #41
Wertzy
Anti-Rice

Yeah I know. I'll have to call up the shop where my family get's their inspections done and ask them about emissions.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #42
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GMG
(black-male Is Great)
86 GMG, Is there something your not telling us?

BLACKMAIL, not black-male, that would be a person...so you like men, huh?

Just kidding 86 GMC, I mean 86 GMG...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #43
86 GMG

soory jus an ol countwy boooy caint reed or spel to good hahahahahahahaha! no really i sit here for a couple of minutes tring to figure that out either way you got the point i was getting across oh yeh the 86gmg was supposed to be 86gmc but again i cant type to good or spell damn the luck i am good at solitary though considering that all i did during comp. class