The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #26
drewfever1020

Re: i need help with EZ-WIRING HARNESS

this is my distributer

drewfever1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #27
1969-08 chevy

Just a thought, I used painless wiring and have a 140 output one wire alternater. Painless has a special way of hooking it all up if you have a high output alt. If you have a high output alt. than I would make sure that there is no added instructions.
1969-08 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #28
drewfever1020

anyone?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #29
1969-08 chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfever1020 View Post
anyone?
GM HEI with Vacumm advance.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
drewfever1020

damn! this harness is killing me
i need to know how you guys connected to the original iginition?
i need to know how you guys connected the coil to the distributer?
what i did was put the coil wire to a wire that went into the coil, is that rite?
do i even need a resistor?
come on guys this is killing me!
i only started the engin i still need the dash and the rear, help me out asap!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
drewfever1020

anyone?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #32
1969-08 chevy

That distributor is not stock for your year. Its labeled on the distributor were all the wire hook in. should be battery, coil, and tach
Old 06-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #33
1969-08 chevy

if you are not using the old points disributor and you are using the one in the pic, than you do not need the resistor.

Last edited by 1969-08 chevy; 06-21-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #34
drewfever1020

alright man thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #35
jorgensensc

I will help a little. Listen carefully, as this may be a little long. You need to run a wire to the distributor that is 12 v hot when key is in both the start and run position. You don't want to have it hot at all times or it will burn up your Dizzy. This is very important. All of your accesories you want to hook to the ignition on an accessory switch, so that when you put the switch in start, it cuts power to your accessories so you have more juice to start the truck (this is why when you start a modern car the radio and a.c., etc all turn off while starting the car). THe purple wire from the starter needs to have power in the start position only. Not in any other positions or the starter will continue to run. The easiest way to do all this is to remove the ignition switch and go to a bench. Put an ohmmeter on the terminal that says battery. That is where your 12v from the battery will come into your switch. Next put a connector on another blade and see if it ohms out ( zeros out) when you turn the key in accessory, run, and start. write this all down, and label the blade on your paper (drawing is best). then you can hook all the wires up where they go. When yo run the starter wire (usually purple) run it to the neutral safety switch, then run the other wire from the neutral safety switch to the starter. Be sure and put the fusible link in line to the starter in case of grounding out, it won't fry your wires then. Hope all this helps!
SHawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 06-21-2008 at 03:53 PM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #36
Psycho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfever1020 View Post
damn! this harness is killing me
i need to know how you guys connected to the original iginition?
i need to know how you guys connected the coil to the distributer?
what i did was put the coil wire to a wire that went into the coil, is that rite?
do i even need a resistor?
come on guys this is killing me!
i only started the engin i still need the dash and the rear, help me out asap!
Well, before I ever began my harness, I purchased a factory wiring diagram. And then along with the EZ diagram, I was able to figure most of these things out. A good multimeter that'll read ohms, and DC voltage is also a huge help.

On the ignition, just like in the pic you posted from EZ's diagram. The acc. is labeled clearly on the ignition switch, so there's no issue there right? Ignition switch power wire will go to the Batt. terminal. Ignition switch start goes on the SOL (solenoid) terminal on the switch. And the ignition switch coil & "IGN" wires go the the ignition terminal on the switch. That should be it. I haven't gone out and pulled mine to look at it, but I used, and have reconsulted, my factory diagram, and the EZ diagram to confirm this is the way I connected mine. And it worked right from the beginning.

Then from there, the start wire will route thru your neutral safety switch, and on to the solenoid on the starter. I DID NOT HOOK UP MY NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH, SO I'M NOT SURE WHERE YOU BREAK THE WIRE FOR THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH CONNECTION. But I'd think it would run from the ignition, to the neutral safety, thru the harness, and then the starter wire will be part of the engine portion of the harness.

On the distributer: You'll have two terminals on that distributer, which is an HEI distributer BTW. You'll need NO resistor! The coil terminal, which is closest to the firewall of the two (and should be labeled on the cover), will get the pink wire labeled "coil". The tach terminal on the distributer, if your using a tachometer, will be right next to the coil terminal, and will get the purple wire labeled "tachometer" or "tach". Use female spade connectors here, and I recommend using either fully insulated connectors, or using some heat shrink tubing to insulate them. I used heat shrink tubing myself because I didn't have any insulated terminals at the time. But then again, I used heat shrink tubing on all my terminals and connections.

The dash will be a whole other can of worms for you. Mostly the steering column. All of your brake, blinker, turn signals, and hazard wires route thru the turn signal switch. Mine threw me for a loop, until, after some advice from a guy that installs these things daily, we determined I had everything wired properly and my turn signal switch was bad. So another switch, and everything worked just fine. But I digress.

I cannot even begin to help you with the gauges if your using factory stuff. I used all after-market gauges, and mechanical gauges when ever I could. So my wiring in that area would remain as simple as it could possibly be. Again, here's where the factory wiring digram would be a huge help to you. It tells you what size & color each circuit is, and what it does. It is a little confusing at first, but after a little reading and head scratching, it all becomes more clear.

I''d be happy to post pics of my wiring, but it is all loomed now. So pics really aren't going to help. And sorry, but I ain't tearing into all of the looming. But I am happy to try and answer any question I can. And I'm sure many others here will as well.

Are you on a deadline with this project? I hope not. Something like this is not the thing you want to hurry your way thru. To me, I wanted to slow down and understand every last wire in my truck, another reason I did it myself. And again, if your not in a time crunch, find and buy a factory wiring diagram. The factory assembly manuals have in too. But I bought the diagram itself in addition to the manual so I wouldn't have to haul that big ol' book around the shop.

I hope this helps. If you think it'd help more, PM me and I'll give you my phone number here at the house.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #37
drewfever1020

what i did was buy a new ignition switch that matched the diagram.
i hooked up my wires and she started up fine!
so now its time for the lights and the dash haha cant wait to see how much problems i run into this time.
thanks for helping in the engine part guys!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #38
santana474

Glad to see you got it going. Sorry I was delayed with posting a reply. Had to work today. If you need anything else, I just put one of their 21 circuit harnesses in my truck. I'll be glad to help if I can.
Joe
Old 06-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #39
drewfever1020

cool man!
ill probly be asking a question or two in the near future!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #40
drewfever1020

alright now im here at this part!
how did u guys hook up the wires to the original light swtich?
or do i need to buy another universal to fit my harness again?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
Psycho71

No help here, I used an after market switch when I relocated mine, wipers too. I didn't even look at them before they hit the scrap bin, as the plan was to replace them all along. But someone else will chime in here soon enough.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #42
drewfever1020

oh ok, im probly gonna go to the local autozone and get a universal one.
how did u splice them like it says in the diagram?
can u show me pics?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #43
Psycho71

I PM'd you pics of the factory diagram, and my phone number. Save them, and print them, it should help a lot. I didn't post them publicly due to any copy-write issues With enough reading and head scratching, you should be able to wire everything in the truck. It just looks like a bunch of crazy lines at first. Just don't get hung up on them so much as finding the switches and such that your going to use, and ID the connections to them.

Jay

Last edited by Psycho71; 06-22-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
drewfever1020

ya man thanks alot, im see what i can do and if i run into a problem i will let u know.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #45
drewfever1020

i need help hooking the wires to the headlight switch, can someone shoe me how u hooked it up?
i need this asap, thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #46
drewfever1020

i need help on connecting to the the light switch, can someone help me asap?
thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #47
drewfever1020

anyone?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #48
Psycho71

Do you have an Ohm meter?
It would help immensely if you did. You can get one fairly cheap at a Radio Shack type store. Then you could ohm out the connections on the switch and tell what terminal controls which function. I haven't looked at it very close, but the wiring diagram I sent you, if discernible, should give you that info as well. Then it would just be a matter of finding the appropriate wires in the harness, and hooking them up.

Have you tried calling EZ Wiring?
I bet there's someone there who could tell you how it goes as well.

How about taking a couple of pics of the switch, and then noting what wires you're trying to connect to it, then we might be able to help a little more.

Jay

Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #49
drewfever1020

i have the original switch!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #50
111stony

I just did this last week in my truck. See the EZ wire manual. There is a section on wiring the headlight switch. You can remove the original wires from the connector.(use a small screwdriver) Use new Packard 56 terminals in the old connector. I bought the packard 56 terminals from Napa. Good Luck.
111stony is offline   Reply With Quote