The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Tunnel Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
This is some really great info. The biggest reason i don't want to cut my hood is around here "good/usable" hoods are almost non-existant.
You could always run without a hood.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Well.....In about 3 months or so the carbs I have on my motor will be for sale. I am moving up to bigger ones. I am keeping the bowls and putting them back to stock.

I can certainly put some together for you but the only problem with commiting to working on carbs that I can't first see and hold in my hand is that I won't know if there are hidden problems with them. The tuning is the harder part. You have to start with a baseline tune and go from there. By the time you send me 2 carbs and I send them back, you might be just as well off by dealing with someone local. It is really hard to tell from states away what changes have to be made to the idle, transition circuit and what not. It would probably be better to go through someone that can set them up and then tune them for you at the same time.

Those carbs of mine though have about 500 miles on them and are CHERRY! I'd be looking at about $350 plus shipping!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’m curious, do you prefer Holley’s over Edelbrock’s just in the tunnel ram application because of the power valve tuning, or do you prefer Holley’s over Edelbrock’s in every application? Also you mention the sideways mounting with blower linkage – is this for throttle efficiency, or is there some operational advantage having the carbs mounted this way instead of inline?
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #29
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Those carbs of mine though have about 500 miles on them and are CHERRY! I'd be looking at about $350 plus shipping!
Well, in that case, i would be a buyer for them when you decide to sell. When you do get ready just drop me a PM and we'll get it all setup. Thanks again for the info. It has been a big help.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
You could always run without a hood.
That is true Lake but, to me these trucks do not look good without a hood EXCEPT the one like QWYKTRUK has. His looks awesome but i'm not doing all the chrome and polished stuff. Good idea though.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #31
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'm wondering if you tend to stick to just this forum because of the year of your truck? I say that because in the 67-72 general forum as well as the engine forum I'm the "Holley Crusader: fighting the evil foes know as Edelbrock, Q-jet, Carter....etc" LOL

I'm the one that started the holley, edelbrock or Q-jet poll. If you cut me I will bleed the classic Holley dichromate color. I love Holleys for many reasons. First one is that I think they are the baddest looking carb you can put on a hot rod. I think the Q-jet looks like ASS and the Edelbrock is in the middle. I also love that you can take and completely interchange parts from all different kinds and sizes of Holleys. I can take a 600 vacuum metering block and turn it into a 950 Racing one. The mods and tuning possibilities are unlimited. Holley got it right when they made just a few general castings and then had machining steps to determine just what carb they would go one. This is how I can take a vacuum base and turn in into a double pumper on a 3310 vacuum carb. You can also drill and tap the metering blocks for changeable idle and emulsion bleeds allowing you to build a very specific fuel curve. Dare I go on?

The sideways carbs is STRICKLY looks and actually complicates things but it's the only way you can run the dominator bowls. I also think the blower style linkage is just bad-to-the-bone!!! It's all about the cool factor with them being sideways.....in MY opinion.

Just to clarify: I love Holleys over everything and have a small Holley business I run out of my shop at home. Most of my carbs are for racing applications. Here is what my shelf will look like at any given time.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation and education. You are correct, I spend most of my time on the 60-66 forum or in the general, in scale, or paint sections. I only occasionally venture into the later or earlier vehicle categories when searching for information or responding to questions. I’m glad to learn we have Holley expertise available.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #33
CVA59

Same here, i am always browsing the 60-66 only. I also like Holley carbs. I have always had good luck with them. I would have no problem at all running them on a Tunnel. I only wish i knew more about what it takes to really get one tuned right.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Well that's where the forum comes into play!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

For you fella's that don't venture out of our sub-forum much, occassionaly click on the "New Posts" selection on the header. There are a lot of other topics being discussed, many of which can be directly related to our trucks.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #36
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Once again I've learned something new today. Took me a while to find the "New Posts" button, so obviously I've never used it before. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Uh yeah! X2 here. I thought that button was just for when your horse goes through the fench again!!! LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #38
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmopar View Post
dual carb tunnel is in my future for sure - whats to decide - whether to do it or which one to do?

maybe here is the push Looks liek it might be in your backyard!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/2147505115.html
Thanks Mopar. I worked a deal with this guy and i will headed to Dallas this week to pick the Tunnel Ram. Thanks again for the link.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #39
QWYKTRUK

Quote:
That is true Lake but, to me these trucks do not look good without a hood EXCEPT the one like QWYKTRUK has. His looks awesome but i'm not doing all the chrome and polished stuff. Good idea though.
The only chrome on the truck is the scoop and the grille. Everything else requires lots of elbow grease to polish it... you're saving yourself lots of work ! lol

J
QWYKTRUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
blackmopar

Quote:
Thanks Mopar. I worked a deal with this guy and i will headed to Dallas this week to pick the Tunnel Ram. Thanks again for the link.
B I T C H en dude! glad it worked out - post pics when you get it all together - i know id be interested!

Last edited by blackmopar; 01-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #41
blackmopar

C-10 -- I like your style man! But the space alien Holley you show in that picture (the one defying gravity) is really whats got my attention! What kind of fuel do 'they' run?

i kid, i kid
blackmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #42
creep
Registered Loser

Here's what I have under my hood. I have a raised crossmember that raises the motor about 1.5" and an airgap intake manifold and it still fits. I also have an HEI in it.
Attached Images

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #43
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmopar View Post
B I T C H en dude! glad it worked out - post pics when you get it all together - i know id be interested!
Here is a pic of the setup. When i get it back home i will shoot another pic.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #44
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'm a little nervous about the "all new but the 2 CORE Holleys". One of the the Holleys doesn't even have the vacuum housing on it. Those little things are red flags for me. Did this guy go and simply scrounge up two carb to set on and help it sell? I'm not trying to be a downer but buying a tunnel ram with 2 "core" carbs means it wasn't a running setup and you might need to have them completely gone through. Did you pay the full $600 he was asking? If that's the case, the tunnel ram, linkage and carbs is worth about $300. On any tunnel ram setup, the carbs should aways out value the tunnel ram and you can get tunnel rams all day long for $200 for a small block.

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 01-10-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #45
CVA59

Quote:
I'm a little nervous about the "all new but the 2 CORE Holleys". One of the the Holleys doesn't even have the vacuum housing on it. Those little things are red flags for me. Did this guy go and simply scrounge up two carb to set on and help it sell? I'm not trying to be a downer but buying a tunnel ram with 2 "core" carbs means it wasn't a running setup and you might need to have them completely gone through. Did you pay the full $600 he was asking? If that's the case, the tunnel ram, linkage and carbs is worth about $300. On any tunnel ram setup, the carbs should aways out value the tunnel ram and you can get tunnel rams all day long for $200 for a small block.
I actually am getting everything for 400.00. He custom machined a splash pan and did some custom machine work on the linkages so they work alot better than original. He did say the carbs would need a kit but otherwise he said they are good carbs. Hmmm, How much would it cost IYHO to rebuild these carbs?

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-10-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #46
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Okay....that's better. It's hard to say what rebuilding them would cost because I can't hold them in my hand to inspect. By the time you get shipping both ways, you might as well find a local person. They are easy to rebuild. You are going to need at least a vacuum pod. Once you have them, take a pic of each side, the top and bottom of each one and email them to holleycarburetors@gmail.com. This way I can give them a good visual inspection and let you know if anything jumps out at me. I'm sure glad you didn't pop for the $600!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #47
CVA59

Awesome. I will definetly shoot you the pics. I would appreciate any help you can give me with these. Do you think you could help me find a vacum pod?

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #48
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Do you think you could help me find a vacum pod?
Do you mean will I walk out to my garage and put my hands on one of many?

I got ya covered!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #49
CVA59

Quote:
Do you mean will I walk out to my garage and put my hands on one of many?

I got ya covered!
LOL, yeppers.That is pretty much the question i am asking. Thanks alot for the help.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #50
CVA59

Ok guys here it is. Just got home with it and sat it on my engine.

C-10.......He did have the other vacum pod so these carbs appear to be complete now. I will get more pics to you later this week.

www.23t.weebly.com