The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
In The Ten Ring

Re: My Grandfather's 1969 C20

My lord man! If that thing was a stepside with spare on the side, I think I'd run the risk of committing the sin of envy! 327 and 4 speed in floor????? WHY COULDN'T MY DAD HAVE BOUGHT THAT???

Wow, what a truck and story.....

You will probably need a complete cleaning of the fuel system: tank, lines, carb, like I am doing with my 1972 right now after letting it sit for 7 years. The mechanic should be able to do that easily and if not done, expect it to stall out at red lights because of fuel deposits.

As for a frame off, you probably could use it. It won't be cheap but I think it would be worth it. Drive it as is for now until you have the cash. Decide what to do with the paint then also.

Do get good insurance, full coverage, and figure out some hardcore anti theft devices. These trucks are very easy to steal.

If I had the money, I'd buy that large work truck! I love those things.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
stexag

Very nice hart, like others have said you will have a good time with it.

Yes, the first tractor my Grandfather bought new was a '41 JD G and it was past derelict when I started it, but with time and work I got it to showroom condition. Now it sits in a barn on the farm and sees the sun a few afternoons a year. Your Grandfather's 1.5 ton is a Chevy too and looks to be a real nice one. It would make a nice match set with his JD 60 on the bed - since they are the same vintage. 2cylinder Deeres are very collectible and having a family tractor is a bonus - but yes, unless you're on a farm or just have a lot of space and desire they are inconvenient to have.

Just a hunch about the show cattle. Funny how things catch your eye. Before I even studied your truck I'd already thought "wonder if what kind of steers or heifers they drag?".

Good luck again with your truck and while you work on getting it mechanically sound take some time to study Mister-B's truck and what he's done. He's done a great job with it and yours has the potential to look just as special - even more so to you when you consider YOUR Grandfather made it that way. Just a thought.
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexag View Post
Very nice hart, like others have said you will have a good time with it.

Yes, the first tractor my Grandfather bought new was a '41 JD G and it was past derelict when I started it, but with time and work I got it to showroom condition. Now it sits in a barn on the farm and sees the sun a few afternoons a year. Your Grandfather's 1.5 ton is a Chevy too and looks to be a real nice one. It would make a nice match set with his JD 60 on the bed - since they are the same vintage. 2cylinder Deeres are very collectible and having a family tractor is a bonus - but yes, unless you're on a farm or just have a lot of space and desire they are inconvenient to have.

Just a hunch about the show cattle. Funny how things catch your eye. Before I even studied your truck I'd already thought "wonder if what kind of steers or heifers they drag?".

Good luck again with your truck and while you work on getting it mechanically sound take some time to study Mister-B's truck and what he's done. He's done a great job with it and yours has the potential to look just as special - even more so to you when you consider YOUR Grandfather made it that way. Just a thought.
That's kind of you to say. I appreciate that. Couldn't do it without the help of the friends I have met on this forum.

I really like your truck too, and that award winning photo you took
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote