The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
trac209

Re: Distributor preferences

Lol'ing at the 450 hp is easy from a 350 naturally aspirated. Been around some of the fastest cars in my area for over 20 years and a real 450 hp Sbc isnt a given just by throwing parts at it. As for the distributor question at hand a plain fresh hei is all you need. Unless your looking to run nitrous and would like a rev limiter and auto timing retards.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Lol'ing at the 450 hp is easy from a 350 naturally aspirated. Been around some of the fastest cars in my area for over 20 years and a real 450 hp Sbc isnt a given just by throwing parts at it. As for the distributor question at hand a plain fresh hei is all you need. Unless your looking to run nitrous and would like a rev limiter and auto timing retards.
Amen, brother. And I'm not knocking the Edelbrock kits, they will do what they say they will do but it's not as easy as it might sound to some who have never attempted to make that much HP, making it real, and making it live. And, looking at the Edelbrock specs, well, those are some rowdy cams. In a p/u one would be better off building a 383 and making about 350-375 HP and 435-450 TQ, and still be streetable. And that's with really good heads, like AFR.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
mechanic350

given the experience of people out there, parts available, resources available, and time in combination with a bit of research i have not doubt that it is possible to get a reasonable hp out of a sbc. granted it may take more money than some would want and less than some might expect. i have yet to cross that bridge as to what it will take to do it. am i saying it can't be done. not at all. that is what i am aiming for but if i only am able to get to 400hp then thats fine. and considering some of the crate motors that are out there I'm betting where there is a will there is a way. but i digress. i ended up buying the MSD pro billet dist along with digital 6al-2 ignition control box and blaster 2 coil after doing more research. ill see how it works for my application soon enough. thank you again to everyone who commented on this thread.

2018 Toyota Tacoma but hunting for another C10

Link to my build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607303
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/72c10shortbox/?hl=en
mechanic350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic350 View Post
given the experience of people out there, parts available, resources available, and time in combination with a bit of research i have not doubt that it is possible to get a reasonable hp out of a sbc. granted it may take more money than some would want and less than some might expect. i have yet to cross that bridge as to what it will take to do it. am i saying it can't be done. not at all. that is what i am aiming for but if i only am able to get to 400hp then thats fine. and considering some of the crate motors that are out there I'm betting where there is a will there is a way. but i digress. i ended up buying the MSD pro billet dist along with digital 6al-2 ignition control box and blaster 2 coil after doing more research. ill see how it works for my application soon enough. thank you again to everyone who commented on this thread.
Good choice! That is the same ignition setup I am using and haven't had any problems. Just make sure to gap your plugs around .045 with the msd.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic350 View Post
You will always have plenty of spark, and that's good. You are happy, and really that's all that a person can hope for. That MSD dist is very tunable, and you might be shocked at how much tuning it may gain even your present engine. You are gracious, and you are welcome.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
GuyO

On the distributor preference, I have a MSD Pro Billet and 6 AL in the 70 GMC SWB 327 w/Edelbrock 1406 has 330hp at the rear wheels on dyno. Total timing 34 degrees. The only problem I had was the box once filled with rain water. So I mounted it vertically, it drained it self out and no problems since. Very nice unit, the dizzy comes with 3 sets of springs. Has vacuum advance but no adjustment. In the 72 K5 CST w/350 4 bolt Ram Horns I have a MSD Street Fire HEI, works good - no problems, clean and simple. The 72 GMC Burb w/402 has a plain Jane GM HEI from a 87 Silverado. Much cheaper, but fine for this Burb - no issues. As I have experience with 3 different set ups, the biggest difference was what purpose I trying to achieve because all 3 do what they are supposed to do. As I get older, I like cheaper! G.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyO View Post
On the distributor preference, I have a MSD Pro Billet and 6 AL in the 70 GMC SWB 327 w/Edelbrock 1406 has 330hp at the rear wheels on dyno. Total timing 34 degrees. The only problem I had was the box once filled with rain water. So I mounted it vertically, it drained it self out and no problems since. Very nice unit, the dizzy comes with 3 sets of springs. Has vacuum advance but no adjustment. In the 72 K5 CST w/350 4 bolt Ram Horns I have a MSD Street Fire HEI, works good - no problems, clean and simple. The 72 GMC Burb w/402 has a plain Jane GM HEI from a 87 Silverado. Much cheaper, but fine for this Burb - no issues. As I have experience with 3 different set ups, the biggest difference was what purpose I trying to achieve because all 3 do what they are supposed to do. As I get older, I like cheaper! G.
Off topic, but I'd like to ask you a question about the MSD Pro Billet. As you say, I know the vacuum advance is not adjustable. Do you know if an adjustable vacuum advance pod made for a regular GM HEI will fit the MSD Pro Billet? I really like the Pro Billet with the extra springs, the limit bushings, hence the adjustability.

I'm guessing the MSD Pro Billet vacuum advance is set up for low vacuum, as it's a performance distributor and not many people want it for anything where fuel economy is an issue in regards to fine tune, but for me it's the only thing missing on it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Lee H

[QUOTE=mechanicalman;6864327]Off topic, but I'd like to ask you a question about the MSD Pro Billet. As you say, I know the vacuum advance is not adjustable. Do you know if an adjustable vacuum advance pod made for a regular GM HEI will fit the MSD Pro Billet? I really like the Pro Billet with the extra springs, the limit bushings, hence the adjustability. QUOTE]

Vacuum advances are relatively easy to change and are interchangeable with most distributors. Picking an advance that matches your motors vacuum signal is critical to the timing curve, pre-detonation and general drivability (mysterious hesitation when timing and carb are dialed in). GM HEIs come with a vacuum advance that works well with stock to mildly built motors that produce around 14+ inches of vacuum at idle. I have a 383 in my 72 C10 that produces 12 inches of vacuum @ 700 so that calls for an advance that comes in with less vacuum, in this case a D1370a (ACDELCO). This motor is running a MSD Pro Billet distributor, no box. This motor has been dyno’ed at 352 HP and 393 TQR at the rear wheels, all in by 5,400.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
mechanicalman

[quote=Lee H;6864482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Off topic, but I'd like to ask you a question about the MSD Pro Billet. As you say, I know the vacuum advance is not adjustable. Do you know if an adjustable vacuum advance pod made for a regular GM HEI will fit the MSD Pro Billet? I really like the Pro Billet with the extra springs, the limit bushings, hence the adjustability. QUOTE]

Vacuum advances are relatively easy to change and are interchangeable with most distributors. Picking an advance that matches your motors vacuum signal is critical to the timing curve, pre-detonation and general drivability (mysterious hesitation when timing and carb are dialed in). GM HEIs come with a vacuum advance that works well with stock to mildly built motors that produce around 14+ inches of vacuum at idle. I have a 383 in my 72 C10 that produces 12 inches of vacuum @ 700 so that calls for an advance that comes in with less vacuum, in this case a D1370a (ACDELCO). This motor is running a MSD Pro Billet distributor, no box. This motor has been dyno’ed at 352 HP and 393 TQR at the rear wheels, all in by 5,400.
So, the Delco one was for a stock HEI, right? So then they do interchange if I assume correctly, at least in a bolt-in sense?

I like to use my hand held vacuum pump as a vacuum gauge, record cruise vacuum with that then use that tool to pump the vacuum pod and adjust it for full vac advance at cruise then back it off in increments if it pings. I have yet to pull the trigger on the MSD Pro Billet yet until I was sure I could put in stock style pod.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Lee H

[quote=mechanicalman;6864743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post

So, the Delco one was for a stock HEI, right? So then they do interchange if I assume correctly, at least in a bolt-in sense.
The ACDELCO D1370a is for a motor combo that produces a low vacuum signal. For a motor that is near stock to mildly built and produces 14+ inches of vacuum a vacuum advance like the VC1838 would be a good staring point for a HEI distributor.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
GuyO

Can't remember, but I think so. It was 2 years ago I changed the springs and I don't really remember how the vacuum advance was installed, but I don't remember it being an "integral" part either, so likely it was screwed in. MSD could answer it, just give them a call. G.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
mechanic350

thanks for the compliment mechanical man. i hope the setup works out well for me. been a busy week at work and haven't had the time to install any of the new setup yet. gonna try and put some new pics on my build thread once i get it in.

2018 Toyota Tacoma but hunting for another C10

Link to my build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607303
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/72c10shortbox/?hl=en
mechanic350 is offline   Reply With Quote