The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #26
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: ol Curt Progress

Nice progress Hope your ribs feel better soon. Where did you end up getting the B pillar patch from?
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #27
daverod
SSN 706

Nice work. I always feel like a doctor when I work on my truck. Like a surgeon cuttin out the cancer. Couple days you'll be good as new. As long as your not over 40 then it might take a month or two. I broke my ribs last winter they still hurt. Not all the time just when I breath. Are you running gas?

Last edited by daverod; 07-30-2009 at 11:33 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 AM   #28
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Nice work. I always feel like a doctor when I work on my truck. Like a surgeon cuttin out the cancer. Couple days you'll be good as new. As long as your not over 40 then it might take a month or two. I broke my ribs last winter they still hurt. Not all the time just when I breath. Are you running gas?
Well I'm 52, so it definitely takes bit longer. I'm better today and plan on getting back at it tonight.

I assume you mean gas with my welding....yes...argon/co2
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #29
ol Curt

I hav espent more time than i thought on the floor. After some time though I figured it didn't have to be perfect if I was going to cover it! I used fiberglass on th other side to smooth over the welded areas and make sure any pinholes were covered.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
daverod
SSN 706

If you lap the joints it would be easier to weld. I was thinking about hooking gas up to mine just haven't done it yet. Trying to save $. Glad to hear you feel better.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
ol Curt

I have lap welded some of the spots on the more interior areas of the floor where I can be certain they won't be seen.

Last edited by ol Curt; 07-31-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
ol Curt

My seat cover is done. It will be here on Monday...better get my tail goin this weekend!

Attached Images

Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #33
ol Curt

Damn!!! Had to do some yard work and help paint a room today. No rest for the wicked. Hopefully, back to work either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #34
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Seat cover is awesome.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #35
ol Curt

Yeah, I think they did a great job for $219! They worked with me to get the exact colors and scheme I wanted.Hats off to a good American company!

Got a little time in the shop tonight but had to come in as it is getting ready to storm. Man, is the firewall thicker than the rest of the floor pan? If not I got a really bad batch of cutting wheels. I ended up using a sawzall on it!

I found myself dumpster diving today but got some decent sheet metal.

Last edited by ol Curt; 08-01-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Seat cover is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
Yeah, I think they did a great job for $219! They worked with me to get the exact colors and scheme I wanted.Hats off to a good American company!

Got a little time in the shop tonight but had to come in as it is getting ready to storm. Man, is the firewall thicker than the rest of the floor pan? If not I got a really bad batch of cutting wheels. I ended up using a sawzall on it!

I found myself dumpster diving today but got some decent sheet metal.

I love dumpster diving
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #37
ol Curt

It's amazing how creative you can get when the money gets tight. I took some sheet metal today and formed a patch for my passenger kick panel...not perfect, but with a little filler it will do for a driver.

Pics later this evening...camera charging!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #38
daverod
SSN 706

I fixed my last doors with some scraps I had left over from mt first doors. I'm pissed I want to see how much to hook gas uo to my welder the guy said like 200 which was'nt to bad. Then I got home and looked at the back of my welder and it's not plumbed for the reg. The hole is there but no plumbing.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #39
ol Curt

I thinkit is like buying a gas grill, the most expense is up front for a tank and such. The gas lasts a long time. I have gone thru one 2# spool of wire, but nothing else. Watch me jinx myself and run out of gas tomorrow!

I would supsect most of them are set up for gas. THe plumbing part shouldn't be difficult. You do have to switch the polarity of the machine. If you have a manual I would consult it. Most manuals are available online. What brand is it?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #40
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
I thinkit is like buying a gas grill, the most expense is up front for a tank and such. The gas lasts a long time. I have gone thru one 2# spool of wire, but nothing else. Watch me jinx myself and run out of gas tomorrow!

I would supsect most of them are set up for gas. THe plumbing part shouldn't be difficult. You do have to switch the polarity of the machine. If you have a manual I would consult it. Most manuals are available online. What brand is it?
Lincon? Hd100
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #41
ol Curt

You may hav eto get one of these kits...
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #42
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
You may hav eto get one of these kits...
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Sweet that's were I bought it and that's just what I need. The guy was going to charge my $75 for the regulator anyway. Thanks now all I need is $$$

Last edited by daverod; 08-06-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
ol Curt

Got my seat cover, most of the floor is done. Have to fix a boo boo on the hold down for the seat on the passenger side, but I think it will be a piece of cake...just need to set the seat in there to mark a spot for the hole to bolt through.

Can't quite decide how much foam I want to put in, the cover has a 1/2" layer on the back of it. I have had one person tell me they used their original foam and added 1" over it and it turned out nice. I think I'll wait till I see the old foam to decide. How much(thickness) foam was there in the original seats?

I also hope to have the interior ready for a coat of paint in a couple weeks. I have a spray booth at work just like the one that 198 got. I'm hoping to offer it to my friend and get him to paint my truck in return. Does anybody know how far the original interior paint extends into the jambs?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #44
ol Curt

Almost forgot, get to meet my first board member tomorrow...LilRed66
Picking up a tranny and factory column from him.

Well....actually that is not totally true. I have one high school friend on the site ...Dads71

Last edited by ol Curt; 08-06-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #45
ol Curt

Picked up the TH350 today and already have several questions. What is good but safe for cleaning the case up. It is in reasonable shape but a bit dirty....also were they painted or plain?

I also have a bit of scoring on the front shaft. Maybe that's normal...just need to know if I need to clean it up with emory or leave it.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #46
SSWfleetside

Uhhh, gee that looks better than mine do after they are cleaned.
I have never seen an original trans painted.
They will take paint and stay cleaner looking.
Scoring looks pretty typical from what I remember.
Do your self a favor and replace the front seal before installing the transmission. It is a common place for them to leak.
SSWfleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #47
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would replace the seals at both ends as well as a new filter and pan gasket. Oh and check the O-ring on the dipstick tube and the kickdown cable too. I usually clean aluminum with carburator cleaner in the spray can. You might try oven cleaner too.

Is that trans crossmember chromed?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 08-08-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #48
ol Curt

Is that trans crossmember chromed?

Yeah...didnt know that till I got it, Thought that was great at first, but not sure it goes with my theme..... could it be scuffed and painted?

I thought about just buying a chrome pan for the trans...just not sure how it would look with the rest of the truck being so stock.

Last edited by ol Curt; 08-08-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #49
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWfleetside View Post
Uhhh, gee that looks better than mine do after they are cleaned.
I have never seen an original trans painted.
They will take paint and stay cleaner looking.
Scoring looks pretty typical from what I remember.
Do your self a favor and replace the front seal before installing the transmission. It is a common place for them to leak.

It was rebuilt in Feb '09 and the seals look to be new...just wanting to cover all the bases.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #50
ol Curt

Now for the burning question. On the long drive home I was thinking about how I never intended to have the cab off as this is to be a daily driver. But the bed is off and i have had the hood and inner fenders off. The only thing keeping me from lifting the cab off, cleaning the underside of the floor where it is solid, cleaning that frame up good in that spot.....and I think making it easier to install the trans is taking the clutch stuff off and the steering column out.Both of those will have to be done to covert it to the automatic.

Wouldn't it make sense to at least lift it off and clean those areas up and paint? I would just leave the motor in, and just disconnect the hoses at the heater and unplug the wiring harnesses.

Is there a method for marking the steering shaft to make sure I get it right when I put it back in? I had also considered adding a Borgeson joint in place of the rag joint anyway.

Sorry for so many questions!

Last edited by ol Curt; 08-08-2009 at 08:33 AM.