The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
nikwho

SBC to BBC swap question.... (Isearched first)

Hey guys,

I'm mid swap with my '68. Putting my 433" BBC in as soon I make a final cam choice. It's an all forged rotating assembly, 4.280" x 3.76" BBC that's getting a solid roller cam and the FiTech MeanStreet 800 EFI kit.

My question pertains to engine frame brackets. I was going to order the POL tubular towers, but didn't like the thought of moving my engine up and forward. I'd sooner go down and back, even if it meant notching the firewall. Anywho, I've heard of guys using the SBC towers. I'm not opposed to welding my own engine mounts up, but would prefer a bolt in affair.

My truck is a '68 GMC C20, with the high hump floor. Its got an '86 C10 suspension crossmember. I've got Heddman BBC Camaro headers. I've heard about guys using the sbc towers, with mixed feedback. Seems like the consensus is that it'll fly, sometimes, If you use headers. The end all test will be to stick the engine in the truck. My plans are to run an HEI distributor, Camaro BBC full length headers, Victor Jr. Manifold w/ FiTech throttle body. I am planning on using head studs, but may be better off with bolts, so that the engine doesn't have to come out to remove a head.

My question is, have any of you done a BBC swap with the SBC frame mounts? Adversely, have any of you tried to do the swap this way and we're not able to finish the swap because of clearance issues? I want my engine as low and far back as I can make it. So, sight inconveniences are worth while to me to keep the engine as low and far back as plausible. As in, I don't mind pulling the engine out to remove heads and/or change distributors. It's not about saving the $130 that the POL tubular mounts cost. I just don't want to unnecessarily move the enine further up or forward than it must be.

Thanks for your guys' time!
NIK C