The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
tlorber

Re: Newer AD Kit... any experience?

You can check out my thread for some info in the AD kit. I wish I were further along, but I will continue to post as I make progress.

Personally I went with a frame swap because my GMC 150 is just way too stiff, too high, and too long to be remotely practical, let alone the soggy steering. This is AFTER I put in a 4.10 rear and a T5. Oh and then there's the brakes.

The intent of both of the kits is to allow the owner to drop the cab and bed onto the truck in a preset position ( one can argue whether those positions are "right or wrong"- that is personal preference), without a lot of back and forth, and to have the cab mounts done. I believe both are also intended as pure bolt ons so that those without a welder can do the swap.

I had no problem replacing suspension bushings-it just seems logical if you are down to the frame anyway and you want your truck to handle better than an old freight hauling vehicle. I will be augmenting the AD kit but I will also be adding AC, LM7, and other modern aspects to the truck, because I want to be driving it a lot,month just on the odd Sunday.
tlorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #27
49bourbon

I'm in the original chassis camp. I think the thing that makes this hobby ( or sickness ) great is there are multiple ways to get to the same end goal. A lot of decisions depend on $$, your skillsets, and vision of the end product. I put a 69 Nova subframe under a 49 Chev suburban, completely boxed the original frame w added cross members and flipped same Nova rearend over springs w drp blocks. Cost of subframe $200 plus complete rebuild parts abt $250 plus $100 for certified welder once everything was "tacked in". Dropped the body back on original chassis mounts and on to next portion of the build. Good luck with your decision on how to proceed.
49bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
crossfire84

I used my stock frame and just changed the front and rear suspension with all GM parts. Any auto parts store will have what I need. Just a thought.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #29
MiraclePieCo

Edited by Forum Staff per OP's request

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 11-18-2014 at 05:04 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #30
lv2tri2

If you have read mr48's post over a period, I think you would have to agree, he speaks from experience. A lot of these posts don't. Just listen when it's offered, if you still think your way is the best...
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #31
MiraclePieCo

Yeah, I must admit mr48chev has given me good advice, so I was probably guilty of doing the same thing. Sorry mr48chev, if I could edit that out I would but it appears you can't edit posts on this forum once someone else has commented.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #32
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
He didn't ask why you hate s-10 swaps he asked for info on a certain new kit
Good point. There are plenty of threads debating the subject, let's keep this one informational like the original poster asked.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
Code504.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 918733 View Post
Nice work now lets get back on the subject someone was asking about there experience with AD swap kits what do ya'll think lets help a forum member out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
504 kit is $1299..not $900. Bummer. But it looks like the truck sits so high up with the 504 kit. I think the new AD kit is adjustable??

Also how is a s10 from 80's or 90's more worn out than a 50's truck frame?
You can go as low as you wish. The picture you're most likely referencing is a customer's truck who didn't want it to sit too far in the weeds. We have another customer in Marysville, KS who's kit is sitting on air ride with the bumpers touching the ground!

There are many suspension options available for these trucks with many great companies supporting them. Many that choose to go the route of the S-10 frame enjoy the benefits of the abundance of aftermarket parts, the availability of off the shelf parts if you're ever in a pinch, vastly improved ride quality, and the ease of alignment on a factory frame amongst other things.

Last edited by Code504.com; 11-22-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Code504.com is offline   Reply With Quote