The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: 72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

I have no problem putting my 2 yr old and 4 yr old in my 72.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #27
69 Okie Truck

Hmmm....I would think so. I mean, really...how much damage could a first child do to an old truck? Maybe when he's older, and driving you'll need to be careful, but at a young age I would think he poses no real harm to your truck...

I've toted a car seat, and various chid'ren's over the years in a 69, a 70, and a 72.....neither kid nor vehicle were worse for wear. Jes' buckle the seat in so it's facing the rear and it's as safe as any modern tin can out there.
69 Okie Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
10pointgmc

took my six year old and four year old for a ride in the 67 the other day and both booster seat fit good and they loved it
10pointgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #29
cparman
sharp as a marble

I am an old fart, and like fine69 said, you are how you drive. How cool would it be if you and your baby could grow up in your old truck. There is a song on the country stations that talks about no air bags, lead based paint on the baby's bed, ETC. All of us old guys lived thru this, because our parents loved us, and were careful where and how they cared for us! If you help your baby be a good kid, and help them understand just how cool an old car/truck is, it will help all of us continue our passion for what I call American Car art!

Do not give up your ride!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #30
Aarons72

Appreciate the comments/stories/opinions guys...Im gonna let my wife take a look at everything that was said and see how she feels. Whatever happens, my baby will grow up loving classics one way or another

*1971 GMC Burban - Daily
*1962 Nova
Aarons72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #31
Beachcomber

Exclamation Re: 72 C-10 and my first child...is it safe?

Dont forget about the 25 gallons of gas right behind your seat.....
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Mine has rode around in the 72 tuck and in the 72 blazer topless.. I figure if its time its time and nothing can prevent that not even a newer car or truck.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #33
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
Dont forget about the 25 gallons of gas right behind your seat.....
You are safer with that gas inside that cab than if the tank was under the back of the truck. In the back some putz in a lowered Honda could slide right under you.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #34
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Along with the seatbelts, make sure the brakes, suspension and steering (including tires) are up to snuff. The best way to survive an accident is to avoid it in the first place.

Otherwise, there's nothing inherently unsafe with these trucks. Just my opinion.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
treveiger

My father and old friend have several storys of crashing these old cars(rolling, head on, end over end(he was drinking lol), rear ends and basically every kind you can think of) and they all walked away barely hurt. I am 19 and spent my youngest years in a old 71 chevy truck without seat belts door randomly flew open and im still here. Now i have nephews and nieces and i take them for rides on the quad whipping around corners doing circles and racing the dog back and fourth to the house to the barn and they love it!!! I also take them out boating(think about that no seat belts and no brakes an your on water lol)an we put them on the tube and pull them around slowly and they can never get enough lol their all between the ages of 2-5 years old and i have two that are to young (1 year and younger) that we do not take out because its just safer not to but the ones that do go return with all their limbs and free of harm. These are memories that they will never forget and will remember them just like everybody else on this forum. I would wait until their a little older and just drive carefully and keep a eye out for everything and you should be fine.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #36
Nor Cal 71

Wow great thread,I was asking myself the same thing this afternoon as I strapped my kids car seat in my 71,I must tell you my wife and him ad a great time downtown tonight as all the old cars went up and down the main drag for a car show... Im gladd I did it for him and feel safe as well..sure there are no air bags and the crush zones are not there but he could trip and fall at pre school bump his head and never wake up... I want him to have the same joys of hot rodding as I did as a kid and thats that!!!!

Last edited by Nor Cal 71; 09-11-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Nor Cal 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #37
leddzepp

Bottom line, just use common sense.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #38
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I personally think this is a silly question. It's not necessarily the vehicle you are in. But the way you drive, and where you drive.

Every person here lived through being in an old vehicle. I am sure you little one will be ok as well.

I have a 2 year old and will not hesitate to take her in my truck/old car.
x's2 and make sure you follow the safety rules for the car seat.....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #39
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The gas tank in the cab is a non issue... they don't magically explode in an impact.

The car seat needing to be in a backseat or facing rearward is for airbag equipped vehicles.

Your kids are perfectly safe in an old truck. I think you and your wife are worrying about nothing. Use a proper car seat/booster seat for the size of the child, and upgrade the seatbelts... EZPZ...

Enjoy your ride,and let the kids enjoy it too.

My 18 year old daughter rode in a car seat in my 1979 GMC when we would go 4 wheeling from the age of 2 up until a booster seat was not needed anymore.. It was a big lifted 3/4 ton with 35" tires. She loved riding in that truck. It had a 4 speed in it, and she also liked kicking the dang thing out of gear once in awhile when the seat was in the middle of the bench when my wife would ride along...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #40
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Growing up my gradpa's DD was a 72 Chevy One Ton. We were never in a wreck in it, but it sure was fun to ride in

I don't plan to have my kids ride in my truck until they don't need the seat anymore (don't have any yet, but plan to in a few years). Nothing to do with safety, just seems like a pain in the ass moving it from vehicle to vehicle.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 09-11-2010 at 01:34 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #41
chachi127

Hello everybody. I've also looked into this question since kids will be an option in a few years. I just wanted to post some facts that I found while doing my research. There is a lot of online material dealing with this subject. The first question of is it safe for a child to ride in the front seat or in our case the only seat, I found this article at edmunds.com.
"Next is, don't put your kids in the front seat. Since the most common type of crash is frontal, the rear seat is the safest place for children to ride. A study by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) showed that children under 13 are up to 36-percent less likely to die if they are seated in the rear seat. Despite this, an estimated one-third of children ride improperly restrained in the front seat. Front airbags don't protect children, either, because they were designed for adults. According to the National Safe Kids Campaign, 141 children have been killed by passenger airbags as of January 1, 2004. The federal government now requires auto manufacturers to begin phasing in "advanced," or third-generation, airbags that deactivate if the front passenger is too light. But this is intended more to protect smaller adults. So don't give in to the whining of your "I'm too big to sit in the back" kid.

Mercedes-Benz has tried to get around the airbag problem by developing its BabySmart system. It allows parents to place a BabySmart-compatible car seat on the front passenger seat. When used properly, the BabySmart system automatically deactivates the front airbag. This may sound convenient, but airbag or no, the overall risk of injury is greater in the front seat. The only time it makes sense to use the front seat is when you have no other choice — such as in a two-seater like Mercedes' SLK convertible. But then, shouldn't you consider getting a "family car" to transport the kids?"
After that article I had a few things to consider. The other thing I wanted to point out that each state has different child restraint laws. Since the person asking is from Oregon I searched there .gov site and found this link.
http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/safekids/posters.shtml

I hope this information helps and as far as I'm concerned I'll avoid having my young child (baby-infant) ride in the truck. Trust me as much as I don't want to do that just seems, to me, the best bet. If it was my only way to transport my kid then I would and if I had a rollcage of some kind (which I'm considering) Thanks guys! Great thread.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #42
imholte

I have heard several people say just drive safe. But usually its not your driving that you have to worry about, its the buggar that hits you that you never say coming. There was a crash around here 2 years ago where a 6 year old girl died cause a car crossed over the interstate median into oncoming traffic. They said they never knew what hit them.

You have to look at it in a different light. Knowing what you know today about new vehicles and their safety records when compared to old trucks would you risk you childs life in them? You can be the safest driver and still get whacked by some drunk. It just takes one time and you will wish you left you kid at home or took the newer suburban.

I have no problem whatsoever driving my 72, but I would never put my own kid in it (no kids /not married). My kids would be riding in a suburban.

I have seen lots of crashes where kids get hurt/die and that is really hard to deal with, especially telling the parents that their kid died or will never walk.

Plan for the worst and drive as safe as you can. At work we call it the battle of the lugnuts...the one with more lugnuts almost always wins.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #43
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Nothing to do with safety, just seems like a pain in the ass moving it from vehicle to vehicle.
Truer words have never been spoken. My wife finally broke down and bought a set of car seats for EACH vehicle

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #44
1968CHEVYC10

Yes I agree that when driving a classic your a much safer driver, least for me anyway, I just got my '68 on the road a few weeks ago, and maybe it's the manual brakes and steering that make me drive slower and more cautiously, whatever it is there's a big difference in how I drive the '68 and how I drive my dad's 2002 gmc pickup, not that I'm unsafe in the new truck, I'm just used to the abilities it has, good brakes, power steering and better suspension, so I do things in the new truck that I probably wouldn't in the '68. So even though we may drive in a safer manner in our older trucks/cars the rest of the world isn't. And we drive faster these days, our trucks weren't really designed to spend alot of time over 55-60mph as far as gearing and such goes, while the newer cars cruise easily at 70+mph. Just some stuff to think about, I don't have kids but I did take my 6yld little sister into town today in my '68, although power disc brakes and 3 point seat belts are in store later down the road when I have the funds.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #45
mr48chev

Ok, I'm 63 years old and survived riding in front and back seats of cars and trucks and quite often in the bed of a 54 Chev 1/2 ton when there wasn't room in the cab for all of us. No one thought much about it back in those days and quite often the old timers cut the seat belts out of their new car or truck the day they bought it because they got in the way.

With that nonsense out of the way I will have to say that as long as your truck is solid and the floor isn't rusted out and you have a properly mounted set of seat belts and a proper (passes all the safety tests) baby seat that is correctly belted in I don't see an issue as to what you drive or carry the youngster in.

At issue are your personal driving habits in any vehicle and the fact that you take the time to buckle yourself and the child up properly when you get in.

I live over on the other side of the Cascades in the Yakima Valley and here I see way too many people driving with a batch of kids bouncing around in the back seat none of who are belted in. There is usually a death a week due to someone being thrown out of one of those "safe" vehicles.

Sorry to preach about a sore spot of mine but it's the driver and how he and his passengers are held in the car that makes them safe or not safe in my estimation.

Last edited by mr48chev; 09-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #46
shaneschevys
Its always something!

Impact is impact rather if you are in a 72 chevy truck or a 2010 chevy truck. If you have a good seatbelt your little one is just as safe riding in a old truck. Most child seats are rated for 50mph or less impact speeds. Both of my kids (5 and 3) rode home in our 72 suburban. I would not hesitate putting them in a old truck.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #47
Aarons72

Just for clarification...I'm not talking about a joyride once in a while with the baby...my 72 is my daily driver...So if we go somewhere, were going in the Chevy.

My wife has a Honda though...so long trips, family stuff etc...the baby will be tightened down in the 2001 Civic.

Then when it gets a little older (I find out if it's a boy or girl on tuesday) it'll be ready for the 62 nova

*1971 GMC Burban - Daily
*1962 Nova
Aarons72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #48
irishman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by John @ BROTHERS View Post
Not necessarily true. When it comes to kids, safety comes first. Just watch this.

YouTube - Crash test Chevrolet 1959 vs Chevrolet 2009
as soon as i read this i thought of this video my dad showed me.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #49
leddzepp

Although I have no problem putting my kids in my truck, I can see a concern based on both the "other driver" and the number of other drivers on the road today vs. "The good old days" I guess it depends on whre you live, but there are about 5 times as many vehicles on the road here today than when I grew up in the 70's riding in the back of my Dad's '58 Apache, going down the freeway sitting on top of the fenderwells

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #50
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons72 View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child soon and I'm hoping that I don't have to part with the truck for safety reasons...What are your thoughts/experiences with putting a baby seat in the cab of an old truck? Is it not safe? Is it safer than new cars? Is it the same? Is this a stupid question? IDK...I just want to protect my little one ya know
Framkly, if your THAT worried about it (and can afford it), buy a 2nd vehicle that the family can ride in.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I give-up/sell my Truck in the same situation!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote